MSFT Investigating Windows 7 Battery Problems

Last response: in News comments
February 3, 2010 4:20:13 PM

I think Ubuntu is way better.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 4:24:10 PM

indian-artI think Ubuntu is way better.

Sure, I'm all for pro Linux (esp. Fedora and open SUSE, imo Ubuntu is over rated). HOWEVER, MOST people DON'T know how to install, troubleshoot, upgrade,etc Linux systems. Not to mention that they don't wan to re-learn software that already works fine for them (ie Photoshop -> GIMP). Also don't even mention the inability of Linux to play recent games.
Score
Related resources
February 3, 2010 4:31:16 PM

If it's a BIOS issue, it doesn't matter what OS you're using.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:35:27 PM

I seem to recall a similar problem back a few years ago with certain Intel-based laptops. I'd have to dig through old articles, but it seems that it had something to do with an Intel driver not working properly and causing the laptop to not throttle-down like t should have been. The OS in question was I think XP, but may have affected Vista as well.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:48:32 PM

So, what I gather from this is that there's nothing wrong with the battery but rather win7's interpretation of a BIOS or board value or how it's reported to win7. Not terribly surprising, getting CPU-z and Speedfan to read things properly off some boards (*eyeballs Gigabyte menacingly*) can sometimes be an issue.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:50:32 PM

I just upgraded to win7 pro and got a little red X on my battery too. This is kind of an odd issue. Then again my laptop came with Vista.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:57:19 PM

Hmmmm.....a power hungry version of Windows 7? Is it an accident or is it by design?
Score
February 3, 2010 4:59:41 PM

Software cannot kill your battery. It can mis-report the charge if not done properly. Li-Ion's are a finicky tech.
Most people kill their batteries by treating them like NiMh or NiCads.

They're right about one thing though. Once the batteries damaged, it's gone for good.
Score
February 3, 2010 5:22:11 PM

Windows 7 Battery Problems? Correct me if I am wrong, but how could any OS damage a battery?

Is this just another case of idiotic consumers?
Score
February 3, 2010 5:44:59 PM

i doubt win7 broke my battery. im sure toshiba just made it really crappy considering it has a 1 star rating out of 200 reviews. mine lasts about 3 minutes after a full charge
Score
February 3, 2010 5:46:26 PM

From memory that Intel Laptop battery problem was related to the USB drivers always providing full power.
Score
February 3, 2010 5:46:28 PM

pbrigidoWindows 7 Battery Problems? Correct me if I am wrong, but how could any OS damage a battery? Is this just another case of idiotic consumers?
The control of many devices is being moved from the BIOS to the OS as it has the potential for better power management. This also means that an OS failure can potentially damage the hardware if the hardware doesn't have built-in safety overrides. A laptop I have has a broken ACPI implementation that can result in the OS being unable to activate the CPU fan. Luckily the CPU has thermal limiting else it would fry.

When you consider how many devices now support firmware updates it's easy to see how significant damage can occur from malware. I think the only reason malware doesn't take advantage of these vulnerabilities is because it's more profitable for the black hats to keep your system running (spam serving, keylogging, etc.) than it is to disable it.
Score
February 3, 2010 5:54:18 PM

I too seriously doubt that it is Windows 7 that is damaging the batteries. Unless it has control over the ammount of voltage/amperage supplied to the battery, I don't see how it could.

The average LI-Ion battery can maintain full capacity for about 300 - 500 charge/discharge cycles. The way most people use them, that's around a year. And people tend to be on a 3yr replacement cycle with the equipment, yet never replace the battery. Just like a car battery goes bad after time, so does a laptop battery. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 6:01:55 PM

Linux is great and all (I run debian squeeze x64) but its no where near the quality of windows yet. As an example, flash still doesnt work properly and there are no official AMD 3D drivers. Also getting surround sound to work properly with ALSA is a pain in the ass. That being said, my linux desktop on an older 7200rpm drive boots up just as fast as windows 7 on a new OCZ vertex AND is ~20% faster in x264.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 6:04:13 PM

Just to add to that last comment, when I say flash doesnt "work properly" I mean it crashes... HARD... and takes firefox (and chrome) with it. I realize its an adobe problem... but thats the kind of thing you have to deal with on linux.
Score
February 3, 2010 6:26:52 PM

It's just normal, after the initial love affair with all new (a.k.a. hype) it's now time to realize it's not perfect either. Wait a bit more and problems like this will start little rants and stuff Vista had to endure. (add the graphics incompatibilities along with a non-functional Firewire driver and many issues currently under the radar)

In the end, Windows 8 is going to fix all the problems Win 7 had. Right. (Meanwhile, Win 7 will have a bad reputation, while actually having improved significantly.)
Score
February 3, 2010 6:31:57 PM

Weird. I've had no problems at all with my wife's G71G.
I wonder if it's just certain models and motherboards.
Score
February 3, 2010 6:35:04 PM

I think Windows 7 was rushed out too fast, it wouldn't be haveing these problems if they would of
tested the software better and perhaps longer...............
Score
February 3, 2010 7:20:18 PM

I upgrade my laptop from vista to win 7, I seen slight improvement on battery life over vista.
Score
February 3, 2010 7:26:14 PM

skittle, don't know what distro you are using, but my flash never crashes and the AMD/ATI drivers are getting better now they are open source. I would give PCLinuxOS a go it might surprise you.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 9:22:40 PM

tomtompiperskittle, don't know what distro you are using, but my flash never crashes and the AMD/ATI drivers are getting better now they are open source. I would give PCLinuxOS a go it might surprise you.

Ive seen other "distributions" but I'm not impressed. I have everything set up from scratch in debian, no unnecessary bloat that comes with others.

And as I said, I use debian "testing/squeeze" x86_64 (kernel 2.6.32). And yes, flash 10.0 code (flashplugin-nonfree) does not work. There is a long bug report on adobe and debian bugreports, apparently this is fixed in the flash 10.1 code, but it could be months-years until linux x86_64 users see it. The proprietary AMD drivers were removed from testing because of severe bugs and the open source RadeonHD drivers do not support 3D acceleration for R6xx/R7xx yet. Fortunately I only need 2D, and XV acceleration, so they work fine for me.
Score
February 3, 2010 11:26:07 PM

I agree and allowed Ubuntu to wiped 7 off my new laptop. This site is filled with Crapbox 360/Windows 7 fan boys so the reson you had thumbs down. As far as games I have a home built rig with XP on it. My Ubunto laptop is not for games and to Shadow703793, Ubuntu is easy to install and anyone with a little computer experience can handle it. I know MS fan boys are afraid of it but that's fine by me.
Score
February 3, 2010 11:29:09 PM

skittleLinux is great and all (I run debian squeeze x64) but its no where near the quality of windows yet. As an example, flash still doesnt work properly and there are no official AMD 3D drivers. Also getting surround sound to work properly with ALSA is a pain in the ass. That being said, my linux desktop on an older 7200rpm drive boots up just as fast as windows 7 on a new OCZ vertex AND is ~20% faster in x264.

Maybe you should try Ubuntu, mine displays flash with no problems running Firefox 3.5.7.
Score
February 4, 2010 12:33:14 AM

skittleJust to add to that last comment, when I say flash doesnt "work properly" I mean it crashes... HARD... and takes firefox (and chrome) with it. I realize its an adobe problem... but thats the kind of thing you have to deal with on linux.

Well, then try mint. The built in flash works on it. So long as this has become linux vs. windows, I'll have to say that I like both and would be very sorry to see either go away.
Score
February 4, 2010 4:00:56 AM

I first encountered this battery issue in a Dell XPS 1530 when I installed Windows 7 Pro.
I will get a message that I should replace the battery. The battery will fully charge in 30 minutes instead of more than one hour with Windows Vista and then will die after a little more than an hour.
I thought it was a bad battery but I install Windows Vista and the battery works like new, it lasts around 3:40 minutes.
If you have this issue, you could run a Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report.
- Click Start, type CMD, right-click CMD, and select Run as administrator.
- Type powercfg -energy at the command prompt (it takes 60 seconds).
- A report will be created in HTML format named "energy-report.htm" in C:\Windows\System32
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2010 4:33:11 AM

RegulasMaybe you should try Ubuntu, mine displays flash with no problems running Firefox 3.5.7.

elelWell, then try mint. The built in flash works on it. So long as this has become linux vs. windows, I'll have to say that I like both and would be very sorry to see either go away.

Ubuntu and Mint (which is a custom ubuntu) are built on (basically a custom) debian... It seems none of you seem to realize that this is specific to the x64 version of flash... which you are likely not running. And I hope you are happy running Ubuntu, but its not for experienced linux users who want a minimal install, Ubuntu just install WAY too much crap, and tries to take control away from the user.
Score
February 4, 2010 7:15:04 AM

zorky9If it's a BIOS issue, it doesn't matter what OS you're using.

Oh yeah, and it revealed itself suddenly with windblow$ $even... It's a "feature", not a bug. Guaranteed it will be fixed in the next incarnation of the gamer/drm o$...
Wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies will never accept that their almighty god can, and did make mistakes. Actually m$ is infamous for using it's paying lu$ers as guinea pigs.
Score
February 4, 2010 12:14:48 PM

Quote:
And I hope you are happy running Ubuntu, but its not for experienced linux users who want a minimal install

It's funny how poeple seems to take pride on how difficult their OS is to operate. The more obscure and hard it is to use, the more they're happy to show it. Masochism?
Score
February 4, 2010 3:03:46 PM

As people tend to forget, if this is a firmware (hardware) issue then it'll affect a wide swath of brands since.. get ready for it... these Brands DO NOT MAKE THEIR LAPTOPS. It can almost guarantee that it is going to be traced back to a Quanta, Compal, Winstron, etc. built laptop and "some component that they used on the board" (my money is on Quanta, since I have that issue with my HP HDX18 which they are the actual manufacturer on).
Score
February 4, 2010 3:20:44 PM

skittleAnd I hope you are happy running Ubuntu, but its not for experienced linux users who want a minimal install, Ubuntu just install WAY too much crap, and tries to take control away from the user.
So why not use Xubuntu which has much less crap installed? (x86 fresh installation takes under 2GB, IIRC)
It's very baseline and light on resources, add extra crap from repos, it's Gnome-compatible.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2010 3:23:39 PM

zak_mckrakenIt's funny how poeple seems to take pride on how difficult their OS is to operate. The more obscure and hard it is to use, the more they're happy to show it. Masochism?

Obscure? Hard to use? NO! Debian is the most popular and widely supported distribution in existence. It is the grandfather of ubuntu and many others... So no, I just take pride in that my system doesnt include modules and custom scripts for every device known. Its actually very simple to set up... just a few apt-get commands. This is the reason my system boots up much faster than any ubuntu based machine. It loads the kernel, alsa, mounts some drives, and starts X. As an example, try to remove the new splash screen in ubuntu 9.10 ;) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2010 3:33:40 PM

martel80So why not use Xubuntu which has much less crap installed? (x86 fresh installation takes under 2GB, IIRC)It's very baseline and light on resources, add extra crap from repos, it's Gnome-compatible.

Because in debian I Install the kernel and base packges then do "apt-get install xorg xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xfce xfce-goodies alsa xdm" (yes that is just one command to install the desktop!) and be pretty much done. I run Xfce so I dont need or want gnome libraries, however if I want gnome or kde packages that depend on those libraries, then of course i can install them, but there is rarely a need for that.
Score
February 4, 2010 3:50:43 PM

As battery capacity in Li-Ion technology has increased, they have become more frail. I had a Windows XP system that I left plugged in for a month solid and the second I went back on the battery, it was absolutely toast and wouldn't hold 5 seconds. A month prior, I had 2 hours of life. I looked into it and found that unless you have an awesome nano-tech battery like the HP Long Life battery, you're pretty much screwed and the life will not come back. It doesn't matter if you have Win7, Vista, or XP. The battery drops off a cliff at some point. Win7 just reports the battery condition with a more critical view and people are freaking out.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 26, 2010 11:17:39 AM

It would be interesting if someone could do a controlled test with Windows 7 and XP, etc using the same hardware and identical batteries. How about it Tom?
Score
!