Sign in with
Your question

Half-Life 2 Graphical Anomalies

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2006 7:04:35 AM

Hi,

I just bought Half-Life 2 and I'm getting graphical anomalies in-game. The most distant mountains or buildings flash different colors: bright purple, blue, red, etc. It's very distracting.

I've tried the following to correct the problem:

1. Updating graphics card drivers
2. -autoconfig
3. Using the link to autoconfig game to the optimal levels for my card.
4. Verifying files
5. Updating to DirectX 9.0c

So far, nothing is working.

Ideas?

System:

IWill KK266 motherboard (KT133A chipset)
1.4 GHz Athlon T-Bird
Gainward GeForce3 Video Card (latest Forceware drivers)
SB Live! Value
768 MB PC-133 RAM

(Yeah, it's old. I'm poor. :)  )

LH
May 4, 2006 3:58:48 PM

If it is just distant objects, it sounds like you rig is have problems keeping up with the game. Make sure anisotrophic is set to bi or trilinear and no AAliasing. If you are still having problems, run the game in DX7 mode.
May 7, 2006 7:38:25 PM

Thanks. I have yet to try this, but for anyone wanting to know how to change the DirectX level in Half-Life 2, here's a snippet from http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html :

Quote:
-dxlevel [version]: Using this command allows you to force Half Life into only using the specified DirectX version for shaders. For example, use -dxlevel 70 to force Hardware DirectX7.0 level support for shaders. This means a reduction in image quality but an increase in performance. Other values include -dxlevel 80 -dxlevel 81 and -dxlevel90. Note that this only works if you choose a DirectX version which is lower than the current one supported by your graphics card. See the Hardware DirectX Version option under the In-Game settings for more details.
Related resources
June 17, 2006 6:02:37 AM

I had the same problem with my geforce 2. The solution I found suggested elsewhere for a similar problem was to downgrade the drivers, due to the age of the video card. The most recent drivers I found which didn't cause this annoying problem were Nvidia's 43.45 version, released in 2003. The driver archive page for windows xp/2000 is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
July 21, 2006 11:26:13 AM

I'm now using an ATI Radeon 9600 and the problem is still there! Maybe it's caused by the processor? I am also using an Athlon, quite an old one...
October 21, 2006 7:51:59 PM

Hey everyone, Ive had problems like this too in another game. I thought i was updating direct x 9.0c by downloading the "Full non internet" install. DONT DO THAT!

If you upgrade direct x 9.0c do the web install, it grabs the newest fixed files. Also on top of that id like to point out that artifacts can happen for several reasons:

-Card getting bad power from PSU
-Card going bad (core or memory)
-memory issue
-other hardware level issues that have nothing to do with windows (im no expert so I cant help you :(  )

if you want to check your ram download memtest 86 and let it run overnight
Ask someone in the graphics section in hardware about your graphics card. I hope i helped some!
!