unable to find data in files on xp

April 16, 2004 7:23:39 AM

We were using microsoft windows 98 and any data (text) in
any file that we were creating in windows 98 we were able
to find it using the search option.

After starting the usage of xp pro we are unable to do
the same exercise.

PROBLEM
file name generated : apr-04.p65
to find text inside the file : ajay logani

in win98 we search it as :

filename : *.p65
containing text : ajay logani

in xp we do the same but are unable to find files.

Kindly, Urgently workout a solution.

Thanks

Ajay Logani "logani@spectranet.com"

More about : unable find data files

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 10:43:58 AM

ajay logani wrote:
> We were using microsoft windows 98 and any data (text) in
> any file that we were creating in windows 98 we were able
> to find it using the search option.
>
> After starting the usage of xp pro we are unable to do
> the same exercise.
>
> PROBLEM
> file name generated : apr-04.p65
> to find text inside the file : ajay logani
>
> in win98 we search it as :
>
> filename : *.p65
> containing text : ajay logani
>
> in xp we do the same but are unable to find files.
>
> Kindly, Urgently workout a solution.

Start Search, select Change Preferences, select With Indexing Service, (no
need to turn enable Indexing Service if you don't want to), select Change
Indexing settings (Advanced). This will bring up the Indexing Service
properties. Or to get there a little faster click the Start button,
select Run and enter mmc %windir%\system32\ciadv.msc and click OK.

Once Indexing Service is up select Action, Properties. On the Generation
tab place a check in the line that reads "Index files with unknown
extensions" and click Apply.

Note that you need to have SP1 installed.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE

April 16, 2004 5:01:11 PM

"ajay logani" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We were using microsoft windows 98 and any data (text) in
> any file that we were creating in windows 98 we were able
> to find it using the search option.
>
> After starting the usage of xp pro we are unable to do
> the same exercise.

> Thanks
>
> Ajay Logani "logani@spectranet.com"

Windows XP's search function seems to leave a good deal to desire.

I have found that the free Agent Ransack to be an excellent alternative.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.