Sign in with
Your question

CD Drive Emulator - Alcohol 120%/Nero/Whatever question...

Last response: in Video Games
May 2, 2006 12:15:20 PM

Please forgive any ignorant questions -- my gaming experience is a few brief looks at Zoo Tycoon on our old yucky Dell pentium III...

I'd like to avoid using CDs for at least a few of the games my kids play (we've got so many and they're getting ruined by grubby little hands). I'm confused as to what product I really need -- I only want to be able to run games w/o the CD -- don't need CD/DVD-duplicating abilities beyond that.

1. Would one product work, or do I need a combination of products?
2. How much hard drive space does the CD emulation feature use (for a typical game)? (I've got about 10 GB left on my internal HD and ~60ish GB on an external.)
3. Do these programs hog other resources? (our machine is already struggling)

I'd appreciate your advice -- thanks. mcaren
May 2, 2006 12:40:01 PM

Righty so you could just say you are embarking on a journey of piracy and want information on it.

Anywho the deal is:

Making an image of a game:

Program to use: Clonecd/dvd also can use Nero and I reckon there are other programs but that's all I can be arsed using. Process of making an image is straightforward just insert game u wanna make a coy of and choose save to disk in a folder of whatever you wanna call it. The size of a game depends on the amount of disks. A single cd game will have an image of say.... 400+mb. In modern games (which won't play on your machine) games can be 3gb.

Using an image of a game:

Also easy. Can use clonecd/dvd as they will create a virtual drive on your machine. I also use Daemon Tools. Again it's simple to do, you select your virtual drive which will show up in "My Computer" and choose to mount an image, find the folder you saved your image in and mount it. The pc will act in the same way as if you had inserted a real CD/DVD into a real drive.

HOWEVER.

Due to cd protection VERY FEW games will actually run off a game image. What you need to do is visit www.megagames.com or www.gamecopyworld.com and locate a crack/fix for the game. What this is a modified .exe file which skips the cd protection bit and will allow the game to run without a cd in the tray or a mounted image. So you download the crack and extract the .exe file, locate the game folder in "Program Files" and locate the original .exe file and replace it. The game should now run assuming the cracked .exe matches the version of the game you have installed. Please note that patching a game will involve locating a crack matching the same version.

Finally. What you need to do is install the game you wish to play and crack it. For safety reasons you can use clone cd to make a backup copy onto a cdr but basically you don't need to mess with images unless you have been downloading games :) 

Any further questions please ask.
May 2, 2006 2:12:57 PM

Thank you for the info Wolfy. (And no, I'm actually not into piracy -- I like the idea of paying for services. I'd sure as hell want to get paid if I invented a game. However, I do own the games and see nothing wrong with using another drive to run it... [I'm a mom of young twins -- I barely have time to surf, but if the CD thing worked it would save a lot of tantrums when the CDs get lost or don't work!])

Anyway, do I understand that I don't need the CD emulation software at all? The crack code alone would be it? (And has anyone run into trouble w/viruses/malware from running these executables?)

Are there types of software companies that this would more than likely NOT work for? The ones I'm looking to transfer would be Zoo Tycoon (Microsoft), I-Spy stuff (Scholastic), and some Learning Company games. [Not sure there are many parents out there who would be familiar with these...]

Thanks for your help. mcaren
Related resources
Anonymous
May 2, 2006 2:28:53 PM

Go for daemon tools...

Alcohol is good for creating images. You own't be able to get everything to run very easily though. Some games need more tinkering.
May 2, 2006 6:55:38 PM

I use Gamecopyworld.com alot (like the other guy posted). Its alot easier to replace a file in the games directory than to make an image backup and keep it running plus that will eat up alot of space on your hard drive.

I wouldn't go into google searching for "Chicken Little Crack" cause you might run into some virus or just irritating websites. Gamecopyworld is very reputable and has alot of games.

Groups of people work as soon as a game is released to "crack" the cd authentication (the part of the .exe file that checks for the cd-rom). If there is one use it, if not then try a program like alcohol.

Under the game is usually a list of "cracked" or "fixed" exe's and they are usually grouped by version number (when you download a patch for a game, usually the crack will no longer work, then groups make a new crack) so make sure you get the right one, but it wont hurt to get a wrong one, but good practice would be to move your regular .exe file to a backup folder or just rename it before putting the cracked one in.

Sorry for the long post. I know what its like when my brother goes through my cd's looking for chicken little and one of my games is on the ground under a table leg. Good luck!
Anonymous
May 2, 2006 8:16:01 PM

ok kilogic's got a point. I didn't even think of that, but it surely is easier to get the crack on gamecopyworld...
May 3, 2006 3:26:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info Wolfy. (And no, I'm actually not into piracy -- I like the idea of paying for services. I'd sure as hell want to get paid if I invented a game. However, I do own the games and see nothing wrong with using another drive to run it... [I'm a mom of young twins -- I barely have time to surf, but if the CD thing worked it would save a lot of tantrums when the CDs get lost or don't work!])

Anyway, do I understand that I don't need the CD emulation software at all? The crack code alone would be it? (And has anyone run into trouble w/viruses/malware from running these executables?)

Are there types of software companies that this would more than likely NOT work for? The ones I'm looking to transfer would be Zoo Tycoon (Microsoft), I-Spy stuff (Scholastic), and some Learning Company games. [Not sure there are many parents out there who would be familiar with these...]

Thanks for your help. mcaren

Okay in order of appearance:

1: No you don't need to use emulation software to run the games, the crack will be sufficient in most cases*

2: www.megagames.com and www.gamecopyworld.com are both reputable, I've used megagames forever and never had a virus issue with them.

3: Cracks will work on all games except usually games protected by a program called Starforce. Chances are you won't come accross games with this as it's mostly only found on modern games so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

* In relation to your first point bear in mind that you will only easily find cracks for wellknown/mainstream games. In this respect you should find one for Zoo Tycoon easily (I can't check while in work) however less well known games like educational titles will be much harder to find cracks for. HOWEVER, you often find that the cd protection is non existant on older/educational games etc so in this case I would recommend trying to use an image to run the game if a crack is not easily found. Please also heed the warning above by another poster, never run a google search for a specific crack as you will be led to dodgy sites more often than not.

Hope that helps, any further questions just ask.

Look at me. Two replies in the one thread and not a single insult by me. I think I'm going soft in my old age.
May 4, 2006 12:33:13 AM

Thanks Wolfy, Fluff and Kilogic -- your suggestions helped a lot, and you've probably saved me some much-needed money (I'm saving $$ to attempt my first PC build soon and really didn't want to buy another program if I could help it). Maybe now I can afford a game for myself! Thanks again. mcaren
!