Glydme

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
I have an old BH6 motherboard that is currently running a celeron overclocked to 850 MHz. I was hoping to upgrade the chip to the fastest chip that the motherboard will take without overclocking the chip or the PCI bus. (I am okay with overclocking the AGP bus ie using SDRAM-133. However, I don't recall if this board supports a 1/4 multiplier for the PCI bus or not...)
I guess that Tualatin is out. What's the fastest chip I can put in there?

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to run a Tualatin you'll need the expensive Powerleap IP3/T adapter. Otherwize, your fastest option is the PIII 1000EB, I would recommend a Socket 370 version mounted on a Slotket, as it gives you more options in the areas of cooling and overclocking. Your board DOES support the 1/4 PCI divider.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Your board DOES support the 1/4 PCI divider.
Does it? Yours does?

My BH6 Ver. 1.01 doesn't.
It depends on the version, I think. ???
So, I have to stick to the 1/3 @133MHz FSB. Too dangerous for my HDDs and CD-RW.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I actually looked up the information. It turns out that your board REALLY SHOULD have the 1/4 PCI divider, but that you PROBABLY WON'T SEE IT as an option unless you are running at 133MHz or above!
This is due to most 440BX mainboards shipping with a 1/3-clock divider for the PCI bus (100/3 = 33MHz) and a 2/3 clock divider for the AGP bus (100MHz FSB = 66MHz AGP). Luckily Abit decided to include a 1/4 PCI bus speed clock divider with the BH6 (only active when the 133MHz FSB speed is selected).
You can view the entire article at <A HREF="http://www.sharkygames.com/hardware/abit_bh6/b.shtml" target="_new">http://www.sharkygames.com/hardware/abit_bh6/b.shtml</A>

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Damn stupid me or the mobo can’t get the 1/4.
With the latest BIOS update got the Vcore starting from 1.3 and the x12.5 multiplier, but not the 1/4 divider even @ 133 MHz FSB.
Might be the latest BIOS is the problem? Would be better with the previous one, I don't know.
Neither had the 1/4 with the native BIOS version.

Thank you for the link. Will look through it again more attentively.
---------------------------
Dreaming about re-soldering a regular Slot1-FCPGA slotket to accept... a Celeron 0.13 mkm Tualatin/256.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<i><font color=green>My Asus board does not have the 1/4 option in bios but it automatically applies it at 133fsb...</i>
</font color=green>But how can I estimate the real PCI speed?

When I set FSB bus to 66 or 100MHz, the SiSoft Sandra shows the PCI speed as 33MHz, or accordingly higher when overclocked to any of 112, 124, or with the Turbo feature.
But Sandra fails to show me the PCI speed at all, when FSB =133MHz !
In all cases with overclocked FSB I can read from the Performance Tip that “PCI speed is high”, except when FSB=133.
There’s no such warning, neither the PCI speed value when FSB=133.

But how can I know that the real PCI speed isn't too high???