windows update

April 17, 2004 12:40:03 AM

Hi, I have just got a computer with WindowsXP, the supplier tells me he has
done all the windows updates.
Question:- I ever I decide to do a fresh clean install, will I have to
download all the updates (3 of 4 hours) or can I extract them from the hard
drive before I start and if so how would I do the updates once set up aginn.
Cheers
Mike

More about : windows update

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:40:04 AM

Michael W wrote:
> Hi, I have just got a computer with WindowsXP, the supplier tells me he has
> done all the windows updates.
> Question:- I ever I decide to do a fresh clean install, will I have to
> download all the updates (3 of 4 hours) or can I extract them from the hard
> drive before I start and if so how would I do the updates once set up aginn.
> Cheers
> Mike

Usually, the updates will have to be installed separately
after Windows XP has been re-installed. The update files
might not even be present on the hard drive if they had been
installed online by the supplier. A better altenative would
be to create an image of the hard drive partition after the
Windows XP installation had been "perfected" and use this as
the baseline for re-installing. Symantec Ghost or DriveImage
or Acronis TrueImage are some applications that can be used to
make the image file.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:02:55 PM

Just to add, if you want to save future updates
You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166

You can also order this Windows Security Update CD
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
The CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003
(and SP4 for Windows 2000 / SP1 for Windows XP) as well as information
to help you protect your PC.
Supports Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and
Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

!