windows update

Hi, I have just got a computer with WindowsXP, the supplier tells me he has
done all the windows updates.
Question:- I ever I decide to do a fresh clean install, will I have to
download all the updates (3 of 4 hours) or can I extract them from the hard
drive before I start and if so how would I do the updates once set up aginn.
Cheers
Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about windows update

    Michael W wrote:
    > Hi, I have just got a computer with WindowsXP, the supplier tells me he has
    > done all the windows updates.
    > Question:- I ever I decide to do a fresh clean install, will I have to
    > download all the updates (3 of 4 hours) or can I extract them from the hard
    > drive before I start and if so how would I do the updates once set up aginn.
    > Cheers
    > Mike

    Usually, the updates will have to be installed separately
    after Windows XP has been re-installed. The update files
    might not even be present on the hard drive if they had been
    installed online by the supplier. A better altenative would
    be to create an image of the hard drive partition after the
    Windows XP installation had been "perfected" and use this as
    the baseline for re-installing. Symantec Ghost or DriveImage
    or Acronis TrueImage are some applications that can be used to
    make the image file.

    Just to add, if you want to save future updates
    You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166

    You can also order this Windows Security Update CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    The CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003
    (and SP4 for Windows 2000 / SP1 for Windows XP) as well as information
    to help you protect your PC.
    Supports Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and
    Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > Usually, the updates will have to be installed separately
    > after Windows XP has been re-installed. The update files
    > might not even be present on the hard drive if they had been
    > installed online by the supplier. A better altenative would
    > be to create an image of the hard drive partition after the
    > Windows XP installation had been "perfected" and use this as
    > the baseline for re-installing. Symantec Ghost or DriveImage
    > or Acronis TrueImage are some applications that can be used to
    > make the image file.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP