mothman103182

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
When I first started looking to buy a motherboard I didn't even consider a mb with out a VIA chipset. Now after reading some stuff, I am wondering what makes them better. Maybe they just have better marketing. I am now considering buying an Iwill mobo. Any other suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,

What CPU platform? What do you want to do with your system? What type of Ram do you want to use? When do you plan on buying this system? How much do you plan to spend on your system? Does price matter to you? Do you work in a Computer related field? What is Via being compared to? Which chipset?

Answer these questions & I am sure to reply with my answers.

Peace Out.................tile

It would be nice if everyone gave too much information about their system & problems.

mothman103182

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
I want a motherboard with an AMD xp 2000+ cpu. I want to overclock as much as possible. I want a system capable of running up to date games and such with ease. I am going to use ddr333 pc2700 ram. I plan on purchasing this system within the next 2 to 3 weeks. I do not want to spend anymore than 150 bucks on a mb. I do not work in a computer related field as of yet but I am currently attending college to work with computers. The VIA chipset is being compared to the ALI Magik 1 chipset. The board I have been looking at is the Iwill xp333-r. I have heard it is a good overclock board. I suppose my previous post was pretty vague. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to building computers. I guess I didn't think it out completly before posting. All well live and learn.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The Iwill xp333 came out and was suppose to be so great. There were a lot of RMA boards, has this change? I don't know, but I would sudjest checking it out. Some people may have this board, I am one, but there sitting on the shelve. Make sure people that have the board and are using it give you the green light.

That is all.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,

Nice Post.

IMHO(somewhat worthless), I would get a:
Gigabyte 7VRXP ($110)
Epox 8K3A+ ($108)
Shuttle AK35GT2 ($79)
all with on board RAID using the Via KT333 chipset.

Thinking outside the "Via" Box, I would get a:
Abit NV7-133R($113) or
MSI K7N415 PRO($100)
Both using the nVidia nForce 415 chipset(no on-board video)
The nForce while not being able to kick the Via KT266A or KT333 chipsets butt, stays very close.

I would not go with the Iwill XP333-R. It can be over-clocked very high, but does not perform well from the bench marks that I have seen. I would only get this mobo if you worked for Acer Labs. It is a good mobo, but there are better choices.

Lastly, something to think about...........the current Athlon's cannot really take advantage of the higher bandwith of the PC2700 DDR. If you look at the bench marks, the difference between the KT266A & KT333(running PC2700 DDR), most show less than a 7% gain. The new T-Breds may change this, but the Memory performance gain in the Athlon based systems is very little going to PC2700 vs. PC2100. In the Intel P4's this is a much different story, but why would you want to spend that kind of money. The only reason you would spend the $20 or so more to get the KT333 vs. the KT266A chipset mobo, is they are easier to setup to run over clocked.

Good Luck with your choice & system. And remember, you can only make the best choice based on the info that you have at the time that you purchase. You will get more info after you purchase it, so don't sweat it. There is no such thing as a perfect mobo or anything really. So try to make the best of the choices you make & be happy.

Peace Out.............tile

It would be nice if everyone gave too much information about their system & problems.