Delete Empty Folder with "Permanent" Read Only Attribute

(Sorry for the spurious posting, above)

I'm looking for help deleting a folder that was left on my XP desktop after
an aborted restore from a backup cd. The folder contains other folders. All
of the folders have zero bytes. All of the folders have their Read Only
attribute boxes checked. The cd backup was created prior to a complete
system install.

I am the sys admin but I can neither remove the Read Only attributes nor (of
course) delete the folders. They don't seem to be causing any computer
problems and I can move them to other locations in my file structure with no
apparent problems. I've tried many of the fixes found in the Microsoft
knowledge base for common problems encountered when deleting files, but I
can't find an instance that relates to a permanently-set Read-Only
attribute.

My best guess of the problem is either an error or an inconsistency in the
folder ownership (ACL?). However, since the files are Read-Only, I can't
modify anything.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks, Dave
3 answers Last reply
More about delete empty folder permanent read attribute

    Hi Dave,

    Being read-only would not affect the ability to delete it. See this from MVP
    Kelly:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

    It should help.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:54:29 -0700, David Parker wrote:

    > (Sorry for the spurious posting, above)
    >
    > I'm looking for help deleting a folder that was left on my XP desktop after
    > an aborted restore from a backup cd. The folder contains other folders. All
    > of the folders have zero bytes. All of the folders have their Read Only
    > attribute boxes checked. The cd backup was created prior to a complete
    > system install.
    >
    > I am the sys admin but I can neither remove the Read Only attributes nor (of
    > course) delete the folders. They don't seem to be causing any computer
    > problems and I can move them to other locations in my file structure with no
    > apparent problems. I've tried many of the fixes found in the Microsoft
    > knowledge base for common problems encountered when deleting files, but I
    > can't find an instance that relates to a permanently-set Read-Only
    > attribute.
    >
    > My best guess of the problem is either an error or an inconsistency in the
    > folder ownership (ACL?). However, since the files are Read-Only, I can't
    > modify anything.
    >
    > Any suggestions, please?

    The read only attribute is a red herring. Have run into situations where
    Explorer refuses to delete a folder with nested subfolders after an
    uninstall of a program and a restart of the system. By drilling down to the
    deepest level, deleting. Moving up a level, deleting and repeat until at
    top level, I have been able to work around this roadblock.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Read Only Windows XP