Delete Empty Folder with "Permanent" Read Only Attribute

April 17, 2004 2:54:29 AM

(Sorry for the spurious posting, above)

I'm looking for help deleting a folder that was left on my XP desktop after
an aborted restore from a backup cd. The folder contains other folders. All
of the folders have zero bytes. All of the folders have their Read Only
attribute boxes checked. The cd backup was created prior to a complete
system install.

I am the sys admin but I can neither remove the Read Only attributes nor (of
course) delete the folders. They don't seem to be causing any computer
problems and I can move them to other locations in my file structure with no
apparent problems. I've tried many of the fixes found in the Microsoft
knowledge base for common problems encountered when deleting files, but I
can't find an instance that relates to a permanently-set Read-Only
attribute.

My best guess of the problem is either an error or an inconsistency in the
folder ownership (ACL?). However, since the files are Read-Only, I can't
modify anything.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks, Dave
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 10:24:54 AM

Hi Dave,

Being read-only would not affect the ability to delete it. See this from MVP
Kelly:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

It should help.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Parker" <parker61@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p vednQ_KKL0LWx3dRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> (Sorry for the spurious posting, above)
>
> I'm looking for help deleting a folder that was left on my XP desktop
> after
> an aborted restore from a backup cd. The folder contains other folders.
> All
> of the folders have zero bytes. All of the folders have their Read Only
> attribute boxes checked. The cd backup was created prior to a complete
> system install.
>
> I am the sys admin but I can neither remove the Read Only attributes nor
> (of
> course) delete the folders. They don't seem to be causing any computer
> problems and I can move them to other locations in my file structure with
> no
> apparent problems. I've tried many of the fixes found in the Microsoft
> knowledge base for common problems encountered when deleting files, but I
> can't find an instance that relates to a permanently-set Read-Only
> attribute.
>
> My best guess of the problem is either an error or an inconsistency in the
> folder ownership (ACL?). However, since the files are Read-Only, I can't
> modify anything.
>
> Any suggestions, please?
>
> Thanks, Dave

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 3:25:17 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:54:29 -0700, David Parker wrote:

> (Sorry for the spurious posting, above)
>
> I'm looking for help deleting a folder that was left on my XP desktop after
> an aborted restore from a backup cd. The folder contains other folders. All
> of the folders have zero bytes. All of the folders have their Read Only
> attribute boxes checked. The cd backup was created prior to a complete
> system install.
>
> I am the sys admin but I can neither remove the Read Only attributes nor (of
> course) delete the folders. They don't seem to be causing any computer
> problems and I can move them to other locations in my file structure with no
> apparent problems. I've tried many of the fixes found in the Microsoft
> knowledge base for common problems encountered when deleting files, but I
> can't find an instance that relates to a permanently-set Read-Only
> attribute.
>
> My best guess of the problem is either an error or an inconsistency in the
> folder ownership (ACL?). However, since the files are Read-Only, I can't
> modify anything.
>
> Any suggestions, please?

The read only attribute is a red herring. Have run into situations where
Explorer refuses to delete a folder with nested subfolders after an
uninstall of a program and a restart of the system. By drilling down to the
deepest level, deleting. Moving up a level, deleting and repeat until at
top level, I have been able to work around this roadblock.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

This might work if you can atleast cut the files or folders, which ever they may be, and move them around. Create a new user account, then while signed on to your original account cut the folders that are giving you problems and place them in the desktop folder of the new account(files are created after you have signed on to the new account) then once you have signed back on to you original account remove (delete) the new user account along with all the files associated with the account.
!