LAN problem: IP address

I connected my new XP machine to my old win 98 se machine via an ethernet
adaptor (usb on win 98 machine, internal on XP machine) and crossover cable.

Installation went without a hitch, and on the XP machine, under "network
connections," the "LAN or high speed internet" panel states that the
connection is enabled.

However, when on the XP machine, I click "view workgroup computers," I get
an error message "Home not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server... list of
servers not available." I am signed on as administrator, though, and when I
try to "Repair this connection," I get the following message: "The following
steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP address."

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Clem.

there really is not a way except to reset the system over.
I have had this hapen to me a few times

Clem: You must have same workgroup name, same user id and password on each
machine before they can see each other.
Rod
"C. Grosskinsky" <cg@ohiorepromed.com> wrote in message

> I connected my new XP machine to my old win 98 se machine via an ethernet
> adaptor (usb on win 98 machine, internal on XP machine) and crossover
cable.

> Installation went without a hitch, and on the XP machine, under "network
> connections," the "LAN or high speed internet" panel states that the
> connection is enabled.
>
> However, when on the XP machine, I click "view workgroup computers," I get
> an error message "Home not accessible. You might not have permission to
use
> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server... list of
> servers not available." I am signed on as administrator, though, and when
> try to "Repair this connection," I get the following message: "The
following
> steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP address."
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.

TRENDING THREADS