Sign in with
Your question

E3 2006: Dean Takahashi Talks "Xbox 360 Uncloaked"

Last response: in Video Games
May 8, 2006 10:41:57 AM

Dean Takahashi may know more about all things Xbox than any other person outside of Microsoft. Takahashi, a staff writer for the San Jose Mercury News, has spent several years covering Microsoft's gaming business, and has now written two books on the Xbox. His latest, titled "The Xbox 360 Uncloaked," goes behind the scenes of Microsoft's next generation console. Takahashi talks with TwitchGuru about the new book and all things Xbox.

More about : 2006 dean takahashi talks xbox 360 uncloaked

May 8, 2006 7:10:55 PM

I disagree that the decision to launch the xbox360 ahead of schedule and avoid the standards war was the right one.
as one may remember the case of the sega dreamcast that lost out on the japanese market in the long run due to the lack of dvd drive (unlike the ps2).
i think this is a decision microsoft will regret within a year or two.
or, if they are smart enough, they should pick a side in the standards war once the winner is obvious enough and produce an xbox360 2.0 with a blue-rayHD-dvd drive
May 8, 2006 7:20:43 PM

an xbox 360 2.0 with a BlueRay or HD-DVD drive built in.
the add on's dont sell. (sega32x,segacd...)

ps: the reason i give many examples of sega's blunders is not because i dislike them.i like sega (proud owner of a gamegear)
but they had good systems and the best games
yet screwed it up by not understanding simple things.
May 9, 2006 4:48:12 AM

I think that the system was almost a complete failure. Now before anyone starts yelling that im pro sony or pro nintendo im not. I have all systems and i play them all. Moving along, First off it was overhyped from the beginning. I knew it wasnt going to be the best thing ever but i decided to pick one up anyway. Launch games were iffy. Condemed, PDZ, PGR were the ones at launch i got. The gameply was goood in the games, but the graphics was not as impresive as i have hoped. As we moved along into 2006 i picked up some more games. 2 of those were Tiger woods, and Full Auto. HUGE frame rate problems. Tiger Woods wasnt so bad since there wasnt much action but Full Auto was just terrible.
They also made another huge mistake by not having HD-DVD included with it. Because i dont think too many people are going to run out to buy a HD add on for their system. Correct me if im wrong but did microsoft say that they WERE NOT going to put games on HD-DVDs?
Another big problem is there is nothing special about it... Its a box that plays games. I had the same thing back in the 80's-90's. However the PS3 and Wii both have Interactable controllers to make the game more active and interesting. Hopefully they put patents on it before microsft decides to "steal" it.
I will admit that the XBOX live is decent for playing games and getting demos. But the Sony Online has everything from games to music.
It was also dumb for microsoft to not put in a HDD standard. This also messed up the backwards compatability.
the 360 sounds like there is a tornado in my room. I constanly worrying if i set the power brick on the carpet and burning down my house.
Basically the 360 is a box that is spitting out images, no innovation at all. Now that i think about it... i havent play my 360 in about 2 months lol.
I think that microsoft thinks if they put out the system first and have enough time before the systems they will win. But i dont think it will happen espicailly since the PS3 is only 499 or 599 USD.
Another thing that made me mad was i can play music off of my networked computers but not video.... unless i had windows media center.... who wants windows media center?
Also, Computers are still getting better graphics then the 360 in titles such as oblivion. Granted u have to pay alot more....
Sorry that the format of this reply is bad becuase im too lazy to edit it.
May 9, 2006 10:20:24 PM

All good points. I was a bit surprised by Dean's comments during my interview with him. I think 360 has some good points, but I'm not sure if launching a year in advance of Nintendo and Sony will make much difference in the end.
May 13, 2006 9:05:58 PM

Quote:
I think that the system was almost a complete failure. Now before anyone starts yelling that im pro sony or pro nintendo im not. I have all systems and i play them all. Moving along, First off it was overhyped from the beginning. I knew it wasnt going to be the best thing ever but i decided to pick one up anyway. Launch games were iffy. Condemed, PDZ, PGR were the ones at launch i got. The gameply was goood in the games, but the graphics was not as impresive as i have hoped. As we moved along into 2006 i picked up some more games. 2 of those were Tiger woods, and Full Auto. HUGE frame rate problems. Tiger Woods wasnt so bad since there wasnt much action but Full Auto was just terrible.
They also made another huge mistake by not having HD-DVD included with it. Because i dont think too many people are going to run out to buy a HD add on for their system. Correct me if im wrong but did microsoft say that they WERE NOT going to put games on HD-DVDs?
Another big problem is there is nothing special about it... Its a box that plays games. I had the same thing back in the 80's-90's. However the PS3 and Wii both have Interactable controllers to make the game more active and interesting. Hopefully they put patents on it before microsft decides to "steal" it.
I will admit that the XBOX live is decent for playing games and getting demos. But the Sony Online has everything from games to music.
It was also dumb for microsoft to not put in a HDD standard. This also messed up the backwards compatability.
the 360 sounds like there is a tornado in my room. I constanly worrying if i set the power brick on the carpet and burning down my house.
Basically the 360 is a box that is spitting out images, no innovation at all. Now that i think about it... i havent play my 360 in about 2 months lol.
I think that microsoft thinks if they put out the system first and have enough time before the systems they will win. But i dont think it will happen espicailly since the PS3 is only 499 or 599 USD.
Another thing that made me mad was i can play music off of my networked computers but not video.... unless i had windows media center.... who wants windows media center?
Also, Computers are still getting better graphics then the 360 in titles such as oblivion. Granted u have to pay alot more....
Sorry that the format of this reply is bad becuase im too lazy to edit it.

Then your going to cry when sony releases the PS3 and the games dont look any better. Remember MS will have 10 million 360's out in the hands of gamers when the ps3 is just getting off it's feet. Not ot mention the PS3 has what is essentially just a good old 7900 while the 360 has a next gen hybrid DX9/10 and even beyond GPU.
May 18, 2006 4:38:40 PM

They can't keep them on the shelves, how do you define failure? I personally don't want HD_DVD or Blueray shoved down my throat, especially when it's not necessary for gameing. At least M$ gave us a choice. What did Ken say the other day, PS3 was provably too cheap. How arrogant is he? How dumb do they think we are? Rob I think you are setting you’re self up for a big disappointment if you believe all that you are hearing from the Sony Hype machine.
!