Sign in with
Your question

PS3 hits US November 17, $499 for 20GB version, $599 for 60G

Last response: in Video Games
May 9, 2006 6:13:54 AM

The 360 ain't exactly doing great now, even when the revolution and ps3 ain't out yet, so yeah sure xbox will slaughter it.

As I said in another post here, there ain't enough good titles to back the xbox up, endless fps and sports sims ain't gonna keep a console going.
May 9, 2006 8:05:35 AM

You think? Endless sports titles tend to be the best sellers... still we'll see what Microsoft gives us later today.
May 9, 2006 10:09:20 AM

In the US maybe, over in asia no one really follow anything other than the NBA and in europe certainly no one really gives about any american sport. The old xbox might have done ok in the US but it's failed everywhere else.

Other than the graphics capabilities nothing from the 360 so far impressed me, I still remember vividly playing on a demo machine in a game shop and the thing over heated and crashed. If it's gonna behave like a PC and with titles that are all out on the PC, I think I'll stick to a PC.
May 10, 2006 8:42:29 PM

Quote:
The 360 ain't exactly doing great now, even when the revolution and ps3 ain't out yet, so yeah sure xbox will slaughter it.

Peter Moore announced yesterday that they hit 5 Million 360's sold by the end of the month (read MS's E3 transcript on Gamespot.) Thats faster that ps2 and xbox 1. With Wii and p$3 not out for another 6 months, I'd say its doing just fine. P$3 especially is going to walk into a massacre this Christmas.
May 10, 2006 10:30:16 PM

Nice to see a console that's selling so fast got absolutely no titles to back it up so far then.

Sony sold a lot of the PSP and for a handheld it's struggling too, and it's for the same reason as the 360. At least with the PSP as a mobile device it's got movies/mp3/internet to back up it's price tag, what's the 360 got that a PC don't have?

I bought the PSP knowing that I got a bargain for a movie and mp3 player and I can play a couple games on it when I want to. What's the 360 got to offer other than a bunch of sports sims and a few fps already on the PC?

Wait till the titles are out for the Wii and the PS3 and we'll see who's gonna have the last laugh. I know I'm buying the Wii first as the back catalogue itself is worth it. There are a lot of people buying into the hype of a third generation console, I'm happy I'm not one of them, as it'd just be another piece of gadget I let to gather dust in my living room.
May 11, 2006 2:26:55 AM

lol. What are you smoking?

UMD's are being dropped by the major movie studios. Most PSP games are re-makes. The DS, a far inferior platform, is SLAUGHTERING it worldwide.

You obviously don't have an xbox 360. I have one and I love it. I don't have an awesome computer (see my sig), but I can play oblivion without investing in a new video card, plus I can play games on my high def TV with a wireless controller. The games are really good (Kameo, Fight night, Gotham Racing, Oblivion, HALO). What does the 360 have over the computer? I can have 4 people play on my Xbox 360. My computer only seats one at a time.

The PS3 $500 won't have an HDMI output, and rumors have it that the 360 will drop by $100, and they'll introduce an HD DVD bundle for $399 by christmas (Xbox premium console + HD DVD). For those that already have a 360, the add-on will be $200 or so. So are you going to pay $600 for a PS3, or $200? Don't forget that's $600 for JUST the console. Add another $100 at least for a game and another controller, and maybe another $50 or so for taxes.

That's a LOT of money, and it remains to be seen if anyone other than 'early adopters' will bite. I know I won't. I'd personally rather put $800 into my computer.
May 11, 2006 2:27:47 AM

lol. What are you smoking?

UMD's are being dropped by the major movie studios. Most PSP games are re-makes. The DS, a far inferior platform, is SLAUGHTERING it worldwide.

You obviously don't have an xbox 360. I have one and I love it. I don't have an awesome computer (see my sig), but I can play oblivion without investing in a new video card, plus I can play games on my high def TV with a wireless controller. The games are really good (Kameo, Fight night, Gotham Racing, Oblivion, HALO). What does the 360 have over the computer? I can have 4 people play on my Xbox 360. My computer only seats one at a time.

The PS3 $500 won't have an HDMI output, and rumors have it that the 360 will drop by $100, and they'll introduce an HD DVD bundle for $399 by christmas (Xbox premium console + HD DVD). For those that already have a 360, the add-on will be $200 or so. So are you going to pay $600 for a PS3, or $200? Don't forget that's $600 for JUST the console. Add another $100 at least for a game and another controller, and maybe another $50 or so for taxes.

That's a LOT of money, and it remains to be seen if anyone other than 'early adopters' will bite. I know I won't. I'd personally rather put $800 into my computer.
May 11, 2006 6:43:04 AM

Read what someone else said before you post. I said PSP is struggling, but I got a better deal out of the PSP than the DS cos it acts as a movie/mp3 player while I can also use it for wireless internet access and play the occasional game, what could the DS do? Oh right it's nothing more than a handheld gaming console.

Who cares if it's got HD output? most people don't have a HD compatible TV to use it with, if you can afford HD then it doesn't matter about the price as you could already afford the premium to have HD. None of the games you listed appeal to me in any way, I'll probably buy a 360 sooner or later, but for collection only, as I owned every console released to date, but to play games with? No thanks I have a perfectly capable PS2 at the moment with a huge cataloguf of games. Leave the FPS games to the PC please, and sport sims? Please start to realise no one gives a shit about american sports other than people living in america, I don't even know if FIFA is out on the 360 but I'd play PES (WE for me) over FIFA anyday.

360 might be the perfect console for the US but it certainly ain't lighting the world on fire. Money should never be an issue at CE, we are talking about luxury here, if you ain't got the money then use it on food/rent etc and don't complaint you can't afford it.
May 16, 2006 5:10:14 PM

Katoshi, I agree with a lot of what you've posted, but it's way too soon to judge the 360. It's only been out for a few months.

I can't think of a single console that had a strong launch. Every console sucked when it was released- PS1, PS2, XBox, and GC.

When new systems are released, they fall flat on their face and the company loses money. The first crop of games are lousy, quickly-thrown-together hack jobs, PC ports, a couple of racing games, and perhaps a few winners. I think the current crop of games on 360 is perfectly adequate unless you play dozens of hours a week. There are lots of killer titles that will be released by Christmas.

IMO Microsoft jumped the gun a bit- they could have released it three months later and things would have gone more smoothly. Given the release date and the almost hilarious price of the PS3, I'd say that the 360 has a huge advantage. Sony is crazy trying to sell a videogame system for $500 base. Add to that they will have to catch up with XBox's library, which will be sizeable by next spring, and the games will look stunning compared to what's currently available. Another thing you have to consider is that Microsoft is luring in franchises now that used to be exclusive to Sony, like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and perhaps Metal Gear.

There is no reason to believe that the PS3 will be that much more powerful, if at all. Even Sony seems to acknowledge this. The design may be more progressive, but let's wait and see what the developers do with it. The PS2 never delivered the graphics that Sony promised back in 2000; the XBox beat it by using conventional PC components, and the 360 is a powerhouse in that regard.

And don't forget the Wii, which will be quite affordable, and can play a huge library of games. Some people may buy it for that feature alone. It may not reach the heights of visual performance, but it will still look great, and I it's a viable threat to MS and Sony. Kudos to Nintendo for taking a risk and having some imagination.
May 16, 2006 6:58:09 PM

Sweat I agree with a lot of your points too, I believe xbox jumped the gun a lot sooner than they should've launched. I'd say I have a lot of experience in consoles, but the 360 from launch to date seems like the least impressive of all. I normally buy a console right around launch but both the xbox failed to make me buy them right away.

There are way too many pc ports on the xbox, as they are practically the same thing, it make sense for them to do it. I just really don't like the heavy America orientated marketing approach, most of the games are guided towards the American audience, being asian myself I just can't get attracted to the list of titles on both the xbox at all. I think I speak for a lot of others when I say this, I'm sick of seeing endless GTA and NFS, or the huge list of NFL, NBA, NHL 2kX coming out on all platforms.

I thought the PS2 sort of failed to deliver what it promised up until I got Final Fantasy 12 last week. The graphics is so good it makes me think why they even have to launch the PS3 in teh first place!

I personally think the $500 price tag on the PS3 isn't too bad, all these gaming and computing gadgets are gaining a big distance from the products we had in the past. At the nintendo and sega stage we were satisfied with gameplay and whatever graphics doesn't matter. As it progress through the years we demand more and more in the graphics department, now we talk about HD compatabilities and such, these are all high end electronic equipments we are talking about. The average 32" HD ready TV costs about £700, a good DVD player would set you at £200, I don't see a price tag of $500 being OTT for such a console. Also noting games prices ain't gone up a lot over the years, and the effort it takes nowadays to develop a game is definately much much more compared to even 5 years ago.

Wii is definately my first choice console over these 3rd generation batch. The back catalogue alone is worth buying! It's a real shame they won't be making every old game available, as I'm sure a lot of people used them SNES and PC-engine emulators and know how small the games are. I like my eye candy, GT4 had my jaws drop when it launched and I have one eye on my TV playing FF 12 as I'm typing this, but my all time favourite games are simple puzzle games like battle tetris, puyo puyo, even on the PSP my favourite game is lumines, they are all hardly graphically advanced.

Long winded post I know, but I really have a lot to say on the whole console and handheld issues these days. A lot of people are buying into the hype and marketing, and they forget what's really underneath the case. This is surely very exciting as the competition was never this close between the older 2 generations of consoles, even on handhelds, and we gamers are the ones that'd benefit greatly from :twisted:
May 17, 2006 3:55:17 AM

As for the $500 price tag on the PS3, I just think that it's way beyond a lot of people's means. Sure, some people will buy it, but there's a big difference between $300 and $500, especially when the cheaper one already has a big library with a lot of great titles and basically equal processing power. I imagine there will be big price drops on PS3 in the first year, perhaps dropping to $350 by the end of '07. They're gonna have to do something because the 360 will drop to $250 or even $200 at some point not too far off.
May 17, 2006 5:01:35 AM

As with any new CE products, the price is definately gonna drop sooner or later.

I think I bought the PS1 for about $450 when it launched, something along those lines with the PS2 as well. Most other consoles I buy them at a much later date so they normally only cost half as much. Wow thinking about that now I think the PS3 ain't so much expensive, and I got ripped off with the PS1 and the PS2, as I actually bought 2 of those each, the PSONE and the slimline, grrrr :evil: 
May 17, 2006 1:00:27 PM

Quote:
, the PSONE and the slimline, grrrr Evil or Very Mad

you mean you bought the new versions of the same console? hahaha.

anyway whyd you do that the original PS2 played backed up DVDs the slimline doesnt(i believe), and the PS1(original) you could use a smart card thingy in the back to play backups, when they upgraded the console they took away the feature.

i see Xbox360 going like the dreamcast, it even has the same type of games as the DC, except for the obvious only sega titles like sonic. its all EA games that only people who cant play proper games buy....
May 17, 2006 4:35:42 PM

My original PS and PS2 died anyway as when I play a game I really play it to no end. I could just change the drive for both but it don't cost much more to buy the new one, and I collect consoles anyway (Call me sick but I also own most of the SE PS2s that came out in Japan, including the black and slimline I have 9 PS2s at home atm, 7 of them BNIB).

As far as I know the slimline also plays DVDs, but I got a DVD player for that. I mean I wear out my consoles enough by playing games, I don't want to add to that with DVDs. When GT4 came out last year my PS2 was on for a month without power off, talk about dedication :twisted:
June 13, 2006 1:36:45 PM

hahaha
know the gt4 feeling well
June 30, 2006 3:05:38 PM

I think the xbox will be challeged by the Wii, but the xbox has the legs to go a long time its a tripple core processor, an advanced video, and it is priced between the Wii and Sony. But the biggest kicker is ALL OF THE BEST GAMES ARE MADE FOR THE XBOX360, with nintendo still looking childish and few titkes hitting the market for the Sony PS3 it looks like the Xbox will win this year and for a few more
June 30, 2006 3:09:52 PM

At 600 hundered bucks for a crippled machine I really don't see them selling very well. Even the Japanese have said they will buy the Wii. The titles for the Xbox360 this year are incredible come Christmas ther will be an 60 titles all of them looking really good compared to the all but dead PS3
July 11, 2006 4:12:15 PM

christmas this year should be interesting!!
July 14, 2006 6:44:10 PM

Quote:
In the US maybe, over in asia no one really follow anything other than the NBA and in europe certainly no one really gives about any american sport. The old xbox might have done ok in the US but it's failed everywhere else.

Other than the graphics capabilities nothing from the 360 so far impressed me, I still remember vividly playing on a demo machine in a game shop and the thing over heated and crashed. If it's gonna behave like a PC and with titles that are all out on the PC, I think I'll stick to a PC.

The XBox didn't even "do ok" in the US. It lost money. Sony did "ok" everywhere, with the highest sales, but not the highest overall profits.

So Sony makes the most popular games and sells the most, but Nintendo makes the most cash when the smoke clears (even with limited market share).
!