AMD vs INTEL Which do you Prefer??

metal143

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Ya,Ya,Ya I know this is an OLD question, but the WAR is still on and will probably always be a WAR.

I much prefer AMD and have always used AMD
AMD have never let me down (except K6-2)....ummm
but since the K7 T-bird and now the XP there always on top in my books (not so much the BENCHMARKS) but they will be

The way I look at is that INTEL wants the MULTIMEDIA MARKET and AMD wants THE GAME MARKET.

We Will wait till Sept. - Oct for AMD's NEW CHIP

AMD's Benchmarks where awsome (remember that AMD 2100+ is only running 1.67gig or so and INTEL is running 2533? i think and they still keep up that's like almost 1000Hz more

anyways Feel free so SAY WHAT YA THINK

IF IT AIN'T BROKE...........DAM IT, MAKE IT FASTER!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by metal143 on 05/17/02 08:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, for now, I'd have to say that I prefer Intel because they provide extremely overclockable processors. Most 1.6A P4s can be run at 2.4GHz without any problems.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
like AMD_man said, for now its better to go with intel as they offer more for the money. and oh baby yes, OCing that thing is awsome.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Go To My Site</A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
When I upgrade, I like to get the fastest. Right now Intel is the fastest, but spending over $600. for a chip, I have to think. The AMD is holding it's own against the Pentium 4 pretty good for much less. Intel is faster, but I don't want to buy Intel, then have AMD come back and take the crown again. AMD is going to have to move it's butt and stick with Intel. Because the bottom line is I'm going to go with which one is faster. Before I spend that kind of money on an Intel, there going to have to be much faster, and basically leave AMD in the dust with a lot of catching up to do. I don't know much about Intel, but if all their chips can easily be overclock that will be a factor to.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

FatBurger

Illustrious
(remember that AMD 2100+ is only running 1.67gig or so and INTEL is running 2533? i think and they still keep up that's like almost 1000Hz more

AMD OWNZ0RS YUO BECUASE INTEL HAS MORE MEGGAHURTS!!!!

I'm getting really sick of hearing that crap.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

metal143

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
OH MY what are you 12, I am allowed to have an OPINION my friend. AMD WILL BE ON TOP in October HEEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE...........DAM IT, MAKE IT FASTER!!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I would have to say AMD, based on price/performance.

whats wrong with K6-2? I owned a K6-2 350 system and it was MILES faster than the P2-350 I was using at work at the time, and I later found that I could overclock it to 450 with no problems at all (in fact it was perfectly happy at 475, but that meant system bus was 95 not 100, so I went back to 450)

I currently own 2 AMD systems, a XP2000+ on an ASUS A7V333 mobo, and a Tbird 800 on an Abit KT7, and these both perform very well.

My work pc is still a P2 400 tho... It's really depressing compared to my little silicon empire at home :lol:

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

metal143

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Hey ChipDeath which revision is your mobo for the A7V333

I had 1.02 and it had problems when they gave me a new one it was revision 1.01, it pissed me off, but i wanted to know what they added or took away from the new revision.

And how's your Benchmarks on the 2000+ system
using 3DMArk 2001 SE I'm getting around 9000

Later

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i only like intel becasue you can overclock the kimchee out of it and overclocked P4s can beat an amd cpu just with pure speed....the P4 isnt worth buying right now if you're just going to use it at stock speeds....thats where amd is good at...
i guess thats the difference...if you're going to use it at stock speeds...amd cpus are the best....if you're going to overclock...P4's are the prime choice.
im still trying to get my P4 2A to work at 133 FSB (2.66 ghz)...maybe after getting my new PSU i might be able to get there.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yogurt

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Please explain exactly why merely having a higher IPC means that one processor is better than another.

And by the way, my first post was sarcastic, in case you didn't catch that.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I perfer whatever perform the best at a resonable price. Other factors include future upgrade posibilities and other things like that.

<b><font color=green>Garbage Can?</font color=green></b>

sir_jakontil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
errrrr, who said AMD offers Quality? if a computer crashes, what would that be considered as? errrr, okay quality?
price? not really, because if u want to get the best out of AMD in the same performance, you may have to O/C and that you will be required to get a better HSF, and in the end, the price may not be too much, unless AMD offers OKAY quality and Intel gives good stability

AMD is good, but Intel is more fun

sir_jakontil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
yeah they me almost be equal value, but i got mates and both running on AMD 1.6XP, and system WinXP, but whenever we play CS online, there will always be some occassions that they are system crash, i think at least once a week in everyday, while my system has been running ok, so yeah....
anyway, there may be some points when i cannot judge stability of a system just from gaming alone, but i believe at the moment, Intal has performed some points better than AMD, with at least a better stability

AMD is good, but Intel is more fun

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, stability is equal. They either have a poorly configured system or they're using a bad chipset. VIA+P4 will probably make the P4 unstable too. Of course, this is just my opinion, you are free to believe otherwise and I would welcome a debate about stability.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think Intel makes the most stable chipsets, but it's very possible to make a stable AMD system as well. Using equally stable chipsets, of course both systems will be the same stability.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Not sure which revision it is - I'll check when I get home this evening.

3DMark 2001SE - About 10000 or so :smile: But most of that I'm pretty sure is down to my LeadTek Geforce 4 Ti4600 :cool:
I was getting 10300 but then I went up to the latest Nvidia drivers and it went down by about 200 points :mad:

I've not spent much time optimizing my system yet... I'm sure I can get a higher result with some careful tweaking.

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

metal143

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Ya I need to go out and GRAB some GOOD ram CL 2.0
That's where my BOTTLENECK is right now

Hey ANYBODY WANT TO BUY SOME DDR RAM 512 Megs

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've got 256Mb of Corsair XMS2700 CAS2, and I'm running it @ DDR333/CAS2 with no problems :smile: so I'd have to recommend it. I'll be seeing what I can squeeze out of it later tonight.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm going to jump in here real quick.

1. If you're a general consumer buying a PC and you want the best performance for the money, buy AMD

2. If you're a general consumer with an unlimited budget who wants the best, you have to get the P4-B

3. If you're an enthusiast, and you overclock, get a P4.

4. If you're an enthusiast, who doesn't overclock, get a XP.

Sidenotes:

Never ever buy a Willy P4.

Don't buy a system with SDRAM!

Get 256MB of memory or more!

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>

amd_builder

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I agree with dhlucke. However, if you are able to change a few numbers in the BIOS, then Intel seems to be the way to go :) Many P4's are capable of a 200-400 MHz overclock with stock cooling and safe temperatures (especially 1.6a's since they do not require a lot of voltage). AMD has really fallen behind since the release of the 2.53 GHz 533MHz FSB p4 when not taking cost into consideration.