My friend (we are both neophytes with PCs) just bought a
copy of Windows XP expecting to upgrade her Windows 98 on
her Compaq PC. However, shortly through the setup, the
program gives options for installation:clean or another
partition. But she only has an unpartioned C drive and
the program warns not to install XP on the same drive
with an existing OS. She doesn't want to uninstall WIN 98
until she is sure XP works and doesn't know how to
partition her C drive or even if that is a necessary
thing to do. How can she continue a safe installation??

Lewis

Apparently, you acquired an "OEM Version" of Windows XP.
OEM versions cannot upgrade an existing Windows installation. Only
"Retail Versions" can upgrade. Either purchase a retail version of Windows XP
or reformat your drive to install the OEM version "clean".

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

Or you can create a new partition for Windows XP by using a third-party
partitioning program:

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm

PartitionMagic 8.0 "Instructional Videos"
http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id3918.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP