Upgraded to XP Pro - All programs gone

The programs are installed in the computer, but I upgraded
to XP and then created user accounts. Now all the
programs are not listed anymore. I know they are still
installed, but they dont show up in the start menu. Even
in the Administrator account. How do I get them all
back? I have lost many of the original discs in my last
move... But they are STILL installed in the programs.
2 answers Last reply
More about upgraded programs gone

    Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Rob" <rreeve777@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

    | The programs are installed in the computer, but I upgraded
    | to XP and then created user accounts. Now all the
    | programs are not listed anymore. I know they are still
    | installed, but they dont show up in the start menu. Even
    | in the Administrator account. How do I get them all
    | back? I have lost many of the original discs in my last
    | move... But they are STILL installed in the programs.

    This does not sound like you completed a typical upgrade. Did you run the
    Windows XP install program from your previous windows desktop by selecting
    Install->Upgrade[recommended]? Did you have either a Windows XP Upgrade CD
    or a Retail Full version of XP? Or did you have an OEM version? OEM version
    will not upgrade and if you selected the option to perform a New install
    then you will have overwritten all the registry entries for your previously
    installed apps and there is no way to recover them. If you booted off the XP
    CD and attempted to upgrade that way but chose the option to overwrite your
    previous Windows setup then you likely overwrote the registry and once again
    you will not be able to get your programs working without reinstalling.

    One thing to try before you get too creative is to look in Control
    Panel-.Add and Remove Programs. See if there is an entry to Uninstall
    Windows XP. If so you should be able to get back to your previous setup. In
    the future you might want to ensure you have made a full system backup of
    the previous operating system state before running and Upgrade. That way
    when things don't work out you can at least get back your old setup.

    --

    Harry Ohrn - MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Rob" <rreeve777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The programs are installed in the computer, but I upgraded
    > to XP and then created user accounts. Now all the
    > programs are not listed anymore. I know they are still
    > installed, but they dont show up in the start menu. Even
    > in the Administrator account. How do I get them all
    > back? I have lost many of the original discs in my last
    > move... But they are STILL installed in the programs.

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP