unrecoverable problems

I tried to chkdsk by booting with xp cd. Message came up 75% completed. Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. ( Is there any way of changing from a NTFS back to a FAT file what's the difference?)When I type in CHKDSK C:/R or /F system does not recognize Help please Any suggestions and thanks for any help I'v had earlier
8 answers Last reply
More about unrecoverable problems

    To run checkdisk just right click the drive icon from the My Computer window
    and select Properties->Tools->Error checking button and check both boxes in
    the Disk Check windows that opens. You will be prompted that the process
    will be run the next time your restart windows. So close out and Reboot. If
    the problem persists you may well have physical damage on your drive. You
    should look at backing up your important data now.

    Trying to change from NTFS to FAT requires third party software like
    Partition Magic if you want to do it non-destructively. In any event I don't
    think that is going to help your situation.

    --

    Harry Ohrn - MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "dakart" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I tried to chkdsk by booting with xp cd. Message came up 75% completed.
    Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. ( Is there any
    way of changing from a NTFS back to a FAT file what's the difference?)When I
    type in CHKDSK C:/R or /F system does not recognize Help please Any
    suggestions and thanks for any help I'v had earlier

    chkdsk does its job but when checking security descriptor data stream data it is unable to read. Must be disk drive? Thank for all your help.

    As a matter of fact, if he has file allocation problems with the NTFS volume
    and uses Partition Magic to change to FAT 32 he will probably trash all data
    on the drive (If PM actually attempts the change.)

    --
    Please respond back to the newsgroup when your problem has been solved to
    assist all on the newsgroup

    > To run checkdisk just right click the drive icon from the My Computer
    window
    > and select Properties->Tools->Error checking button and check both boxes
    in
    > the Disk Check windows that opens. You will be prompted that the process
    > will be run the next time your restart windows. So close out and Reboot.
    If
    > the problem persists you may well have physical damage on your drive. You
    > should look at backing up your important data now.
    >
    > Trying to change from NTFS to FAT requires third party software like
    > Partition Magic if you want to do it non-destructively. In any event I
    don't
    > think that is going to help your situation.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn - MS MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "dakart" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I tried to chkdsk by booting with xp cd. Message came up 75% completed.
    > Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. ( Is there
    any
    > way of changing from a NTFS back to a FAT file what's the difference?)When
    > type in CHKDSK C:/R or /F system does not recognize Help please Any
    > suggestions and thanks for any help I'v had earlier

    "dakart" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I tried to chkdsk by booting with xp cd. Message came up 75% completed.
    Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. ( Is there any
    way of changing from a NTFS back to a FAT file what's the difference?)When I
    type in CHKDSK C:/R or /F system does not recognize Help please Any
    suggestions and thanks for any help I'v had earlier

    Not an answer, but I'm just interested in why you should have tried to run
    chkdsk from the CD instead of the normal way......

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:37:59 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > When I
    > type in CHKDSK C:/R or /F

    Add a space between C: and /R or /F
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I could not run defrag (message would appear to run chkdsk/f ). When I did this normally message would appear same as boot up 75% completed or could not read Security descriptor data stream. Thanks Dakart

    Thanks Sharon. Typed in chkdsk c: /r still comes up 75% completed. Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. When I Defrag message reads run chkdsk /f when I do this parameter not valid. Any more help. I've upgraded from ME and am still learning how to maintain XP in good working condition. This is baffling. Thanks Dakart

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:41:06 -0700, dakart wrote:

    > When I Defrag message reads run chkdsk /f

    Use the same syntax, just a different switch:
    chkdsk c: /f

    Chkdsk is pretty good so I am surprised it is finding unrecoverable errors.
    You may want to check the drive with disk utilities - downloadable from the
    drive manufacturer - to see if there's a deeper problem that needs to be
    addressed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User