WINXP installation problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
daughter's computer.

I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with Partition
Magic Version 8.x.

All drives are formatted for NTFS.

The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the files.
Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and says
it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the installation
process.

It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
computer it just comes up with this same screen.

I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to continue
from here.

The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200

Ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp installation problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

    I wouldn't use Partition Magic to set up a hard disk before installing XP.
    In fact, the XP CD enables you to partition your hard disk as part of a
    clean install.

    However, if you prefer to use Partition Magic, you may find this article
    helpful:
    "Windows XP doesn't install to an NTFS partition created by PQDisk"
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3216.html

    Rocky

    "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
    > daughter's computer.
    >
    > I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with
    Partition
    > Magic Version 8.x.
    >
    > All drives are formatted for NTFS.
    >
    > The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the files.
    > Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and says
    > it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the
    installation
    > process.
    >
    > It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
    > Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
    > computer it just comes up with this same screen.
    >
    > I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
    > friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to continue
    > from here.
    >
    > The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200
    >
    > Ideas?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

    Thanks. I did not know that. Will format to Fat and install again.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > I wouldn't use Partition Magic to set up a hard disk before installing XP.
    > In fact, the XP CD enables you to partition your hard disk as part of a
    > clean install.
    >
    > However, if you prefer to use Partition Magic, you may find this article
    > helpful:
    > "Windows XP doesn't install to an NTFS partition created by PQDisk"
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3216.html
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
    > > daughter's computer.
    > >
    > > I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with
    > Partition
    > > Magic Version 8.x.
    > >
    > > All drives are formatted for NTFS.
    > >
    > > The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the
    files.
    > > Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and
    says
    > > it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the
    > installation
    > > process.
    > >
    > > It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
    > > Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
    > > computer it just comes up with this same screen.
    > >
    > > I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
    > > friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to
    continue
    > > from here.
    > >
    > > The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200
    > >
    > > Ideas?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

    Glad I could be of some help.

    > Thanks. I did not know that. Will format to Fat and install again.
    >

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > I wouldn't use Partition Magic to set up a hard disk before installing
    XP.
    > > In fact, the XP CD enables you to partition your hard disk as part of a
    > > clean install.
    > >
    > > However, if you prefer to use Partition Magic, you may find this article
    > > helpful:
    > > "Windows XP doesn't install to an NTFS partition created by PQDisk"
    > > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3216.html
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >
    > > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
    > > > daughter's computer.
    > > >
    > > > I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with
    > > Partition
    > > > Magic Version 8.x.
    > > >
    > > > All drives are formatted for NTFS.
    > > >
    > > > The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the
    > files.
    > > > Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and
    > says
    > > > it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the
    > > installation
    > > > process.
    > > >
    > > > It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to
    run
    > > > Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I
    restart
    > > > computer it just comes up with this same screen.
    > > >
    > > > I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children
    and
    > > > friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to
    > continue
    > > > from here.
    > > >
    > > > The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200
    > > >
    > > > Ideas?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP