WINXP installation problems

April 19, 2004 9:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
daughter's computer.

I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with Partition
Magic Version 8.x.

All drives are formatted for NTFS.

The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the files.
Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and says
it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the installation
process.

It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
computer it just comes up with this same screen.

I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to continue
from here.

The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200

Ideas?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:40:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

I wouldn't use Partition Magic to set up a hard disk before installing XP.
In fact, the XP CD enables you to partition your hard disk as part of a
clean install.

However, if you prefer to use Partition Magic, you may find this article
helpful:
"Windows XP doesn't install to an NTFS partition created by PQDisk"
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3216.html

Rocky

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
> daughter's computer.
>
> I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with
Partition
> Magic Version 8.x.
>
> All drives are formatted for NTFS.
>
> The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the files.
> Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and says
> it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the
installation
> process.
>
> It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
> Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
> computer it just comes up with this same screen.
>
> I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
> friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to continue
> from here.
>
> The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200
>
> Ideas?

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:40:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

Thanks. I did not know that. Will format to Fat and install again.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> I wouldn't use Partition Magic to set up a hard disk before installing XP.
> In fact, the XP CD enables you to partition your hard disk as part of a
> clean install.
>
> However, if you prefer to use Partition Magic, you may find this article
> helpful:
> "Windows XP doesn't install to an NTFS partition created by PQDisk"
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3216.html
>
> Rocky
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I am trying to re-install the full version of Home edition WINXP on my
> > daughter's computer.
> >
> > I formatted the harddisk and the set up a C: and D: partition with
> Partition
> > Magic Version 8.x.
> >
> > All drives are formatted for NTFS.
> >
> > The installation goes on for quite some time and it copies all the
files.
> > Then sometime in the next phase the Blue screen of death comes up and
says
> > it found a problem and to not damage computer it shuts down the
> installation
> > process.
> >
> > It says there may be a virus (impossible since just formatted) or to run
> > Chkdsk /f. But there ius no prompt where I can run that. When I restart
> > computer it just comes up with this same screen.
> >
> > I have installed many Windoes XP systems for myself, other children and
> > friends and never came across this. I frankly do not know how to
continue
> > from here.
> >
> > The computer is of fairly recent vinatge with AMD 2200
> >
> > Ideas?

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:13:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo (More info?)

Glad I could be of some help.

news:D oOdnbd7OdbJ5RndRVn-hg@comcast.com...

!