I work with Windows XP Pro at the office, but it's configured there within a
domain. I have Windows XP Pro here at home for the first time and it always
starts with the screen that shows the three use accounts I've set up for me
and my family. That login window includes a message about unread messages
for each account. That unread messages count never goes away even though my
mail client clearly shows that all of my messages are read. Where is Windows
XP getting its unread messages count from and is there anyway to get it
resync'd with the mail client.

I originally had all accounts set up with Outlook Express as a mail client
with a POP3 mail server. I don't remember there being an issue with the
unread messages count at that point. I think the problem may have started
when I installed Office 2003 with Outlook 2003 and configured Outlook as the
mail client. Now both Outlook and Outlook Express indicate that all messages
are read, but Windows XP still shows 3 unread messages for one account and 1
unread message for another.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zoe

Zoe Hart wrote:
> I work with Windows XP Pro at the office, but it's configured there
> within a domain. I have Windows XP Pro here at home for the first
> time and it always starts with the screen that shows the three use
> accounts I've set up for me and my family. That login window includes
> a message about unread messages for each account. That unread
> messages count never goes away even though my mail client clearly
> shows that all of my messages are read. Where is Windows XP getting
> its unread messages count from and is there anyway to get it resync'd
> with the mail client.
>
> I originally had all accounts set up with Outlook Express as a mail
> client with a POP3 mail server. I don't remember there being an issue
> with the unread messages count at that point. I think the problem may
> have started when I installed Office 2003 with Outlook 2003 and
> configured Outlook as the mail client. Now both Outlook and Outlook
> Express indicate that all messages are read, but Windows XP still
> shows 3 unread messages for one account and 1 unread message for
> another.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Zoe

Download and install TweakUI from here

Run the repair option at the bottom, choose Repair unread mail count.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Click start---run---type in regedit---click OK
Go to:
HKET_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\windows\current version\unread mail
double click the value 'message count' in the right pane and change the value
to 0 (zero).