good cheap stable mobo?

fatfro

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
Can anyone tell me a good cheap (in terms of price) mobo to get. I'm thinking of one with the via kt266a or I'll even settle for the 133a if its considerably cheaper like half the price. I'm not really interested in overclocking (for the moment anyway) and I dont really care about raid. I just need it to go online burn some music that I download and view the occasinal video clip. Price and stability or my main concerns. thanks guys

bluzbrother

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I've heard way too many issues with the K7S5A... don't get me wrong it's a bargain, but it seems to have a touch and go reputation. A good Power Supply is a must.

I personally think Shuttle makes extremely reliable and inexpensive boards, I would buy another in a heart beat.

AOL-For people who like to pay extra for their SPAM

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've heard way too many issues with the K7S5A... don't get me wrong it's a bargain, but it seems to have a touch and go reputation. A good Power Supply is a must.
agreed, but based on my own experience it has been solid. YMMV.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Get the MSI K7T Turbo2. It has the KT133A chipset. Very stable, easy to set up. Almost as cheap as the ECS board.
The ECS sells for about $90 Canadian and the MSI is as low as $110 Canadian at certain places. It has some overclocking potential and I haven't had any problems with it. Overall, I'm sure you'd be satisfied with it.

"If there's grass on the field...play ball!!"

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey F,

My choices: Shuttle AK31A(Via KT266A) $67 or
Shuttle AK12A(Via KT133A) $49.

Both in USD from www.newegg.com 5/17/02

Peace Out..............tile

It would be nice if everyone gave too much information about their system & problems.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey J,

I don't know why or how, but Shuttle is kicking out some great products at dirt cheap prices. They are made in China just like the ECS mobo's, but I have never had a problem with any of their mobo's. They have decent features, & I think I mentioned this before, but they are dirt cheap! I have never seen a refurb'ed AK31A, or I would have bought it myself! I love that board!

Peace Out.............tile

It would be nice if everyone gave too much information about their system & problems.

G

You could alternativly go for the micro atx format and try the new asus a7n266 vm- intergrated gf2 optional on board sound and lan, fits xp processors. 3 pci and 2 dimm slots for ddr. only 73quid (and thats with the onboard graphics). :)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Get the ABit KR7A-133. In Canada it costs $146. That's just over $90US! :eek:

Get that thing while it lasts! It's fully loaded and overclocks like crazy if you consider overclocking later on.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: