Error trying to run F.E.A.R

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I just got F.E.A.R, I installed the game and installed directx 9.0c when I try to run the game I get an error "unable to initialize the render to a valid video mode"

These are my system settings:

Asus A8N5X
2GB DDR400
AMD Athlon64 3700
250GB Western Digital
ATI Radeon X1800GTO

everything is running at stock speeds I've tried to update the video driver and I uninstalled/installed it again samething with directx and I still get the same problem.

should I uninstall the game? it's installed on a different partition than the system, would that matter? I've also noticed that many people with different radeon cards have had the same problems but I can't figure out how they fixed it.

thanks

G

Did you install the current version of DX9c? (I recently happened to download an older 9c and had some problems.)

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I tried updating the game and I still got the same problem, I'm thinking it might be the directx, does any1 have a link for one that isn't from microsoft??? thanks

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I just got F.E.A.R, I installed the game and installed directx 9.0c when I try to run the game I get an error "unable to initialize the render to a valid video mode"

These are my system settings:

Asus A8N5X
2GB DDR400
AMD Athlon64 3700
250GB Western Digital
ATI Radeon X1800GTO

everything is running at stock speeds I've tried to update the video driver and I uninstalled/installed it again samething with directx and I still get the same problem.

should I uninstall the game? it's installed on a different partition than the system, would that matter? I've also noticed that many people with different radeon cards have had the same problems but I can't figure out how they fixed it.

thanks

AH methinks I see's a small error here,,to whit ,,F E A R ...installs dx 9c??,and if you do not let it it will not run properly,otherwise known as AUGUST,should be on the cd/dvd,, try it you'll love it,,.
And putting it on a different partition than the system is actually better for the game and your computer,windoze does not need any help making a mess of your hdd,LOL,,...