Unknown Device on Dimension 8100

I had to reinstall Windows ME on a Dell Dimension 8100.
I have an Unknown Device in Device Manager after installing
the updated drivers for all of the devices, including the
Intel chipset drivers first. I think that Unknown Device
is that special E button on the front of the computer.
Where do I find the drivers for that? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about unknown device dimension 8100

    go to dell tech support site, put in your service tag,
    and ask for the list of drivers for your machine,
    and download them to a disk or folder on your hard drive.

    go to device manager, where you see the quesiton marks, say update
    driver, and specify the folder you just downloaded, and it should find
    them and fix it.

    David wrote:

    > I had to reinstall Windows ME on a Dell Dimension 8100.
    > I have an Unknown Device in Device Manager after installing
    > the updated drivers for all of the devices, including the
    > Intel chipset drivers first. I think that Unknown Device
    > is that special E button on the front of the computer.
    > Where do I find the drivers for that? Thanks.

    Did you install the chipset drivers from Dell or Intel? Dell's include the
    button. There are no drivers for the button for XP, so I have a little
    yellow splat forever and it doesn't hurt anything.

    Tom
    "David" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    >I had to reinstall Windows ME on a Dell Dimension 8100.
    > I have an Unknown Device in Device Manager after installing
    > the updated drivers for all of the devices, including the
    > Intel chipset drivers first. I think that Unknown Device
    > is that special E button on the front of the computer.
    > Where do I find the drivers for that? Thanks.

    I installed the newest chipset drivers from Intel. I thought
    I'd be able to get the drivers for that Dell button separately.

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Did you install the chipset drivers from Dell or Intel? Dell's include the
    > button. There are no drivers for the button for XP, so I have a little
    > yellow splat forever and it doesn't hurt anything.

    As far as I know you can't. In looking at Dell's site, nothing is listed.

    >I installed the newest chipset drivers from Intel. I thought
    > I'd be able to get the drivers for that Dell button separately.
    >
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> Did you install the chipset drivers from Dell or Intel? Dell's include
    >> the button. There are no drivers for the button for XP, so I have a
    >> little yellow splat forever and it doesn't hurt anything.

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:01:54 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Scales"
    <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >As far as I know you can't. In looking at Dell's site, nothing is listed.

    I went through this a couple of years ago, when I upgraded my Dim 8100 to
    WinXP. There's a BIOS update that's supposed to make the button work or at
    least get rid of the 'Unknown Device' flag, but it doesn't work. :(

    Having the marker didn't hurt anything that I could tell, but I did get
    tired of seeing it every time I went into Device Manager.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Yes there has never been a solution for XP, but there is for Me.
    "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:01:54 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Scales"
    > <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >
    >>As far as I know you can't. In looking at Dell's site, nothing is listed.
    >
    > I went through this a couple of years ago, when I upgraded my Dim 8100 to
    > WinXP. There's a BIOS update that's supposed to make the button work or
    > at
    > least get rid of the 'Unknown Device' flag, but it doesn't work. :(
    >
    > Having the marker didn't hurt anything that I could tell, but I did get
    > tired of seeing it every time I went into Device Manager.
    >
    > --
    > Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
  7. Here is whats going on folks.

    What you need to download is the Dell Solution Center Software. Just enter your Dell Service Tag #, download it and install it. You will have to reboot your PC. Upon restarting your PC, the unknown device will be detected and installed.

    In case you are just wondering what the "device" is.

    Windows calls it a Metolious Vendor Designed Sensor.

    I hope this helps as it took care of the issue for me!

    :lol:
  8. :o Hi download unknown drivers from here
    100% working
    http://directsoftwaredownload.com/Drivers.html

Dell Drivers Dimension Devices Computers