IE won't work when connected via AOL

Hi all - thanks for reading my request. Unfortunately I'm not very computer-knowledgable, so hopefully this makes sense to you.

I have a Gateway 200 something that runs Windows XP. I access the internet via an AOL dialup at home, and via a wireless network at school. About 6 - 8 weeks ago I lost my ability to access internet explorer when I'm connected to AOL. At the time I had AOL 8.0 (came free with the computer - don't give me too much grief!). When I open IE, I get an error message that the server can't be found, and it won't connect - even though I am connected via AOL. Even when I am connected, though, my connections show that AOL is actually disconnected. Liveupdate - automatic update - will update when I'm connected like this, but not when I manually have it update.

When I'm at school, the IE works fine, and I'm able to connect without any problems, except the Liveupdate won't manually work there either, although the automatic update will.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled AOL, and upgraded to AOL 9.0. I have kept current on the critical XP updates, though not on the "uncritical" ones, such as updates to the DVD player. I keep my cookies low, and do a virus scan weekly or biweekly. I have Norton Internet Security for both the firewall and virus protection.

The technicians at my school were unable to fix this, and suggested that I obtain a different ISP. AOL helpdesk suggested the fixes below, but these didn't fix it. I did all these except those that said not to do with XP, and removal of IE, as my technology guru at work said that can't be done without totally screwing my machine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, especially if they can be understood by a non-technical savvy person.

FIXES FROM AOL:
Please bear with the lengthy troubleshooting steps because I want to give you all the possible solutions.
I suggest you store a copy of this e-mail for future reference. To print this e-mail, click the FILE menu on the AOL toolbar, select PRINT, then click OK.
To determine and resolve the issue, please follow the steps below:

A. CLEAR THE WEB BROWSER CACHE
1. Click START, select ALL PROGRAMS or PROGRAMS, select AMERICA ONLINE, then click AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION.
2. Click the UTILITIES tab.
3. Click CLEAR BROWSER CACHE until the Current Cache Size reads 0 KB.
4. Click CLOSE.

B. RESET THE WEB SETTINGS IN INTERNET EXPLORER
1. Click START, then click CONTROL PANEL.
2. Click NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS.
3. Click INTERNET OPTIONS.

NOTE: In Windows 98/Me/2000, click Start, select Settings, then click Control Panel. Double-click Internet Options.

4. Click the PROGRAMS tab.
5. Click RESET WEB SETTINGS.
6. Click YES.
7. Click OK.
8. Click OK to close the Internet Properties window.

C. RESTORE THE INTERNET EXPLORER SECURITY SETTINGS

NOTE: Please close any Web pages that may be open.

1. Click START, then click CONTROL PANEL.
2. Click NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS.
3. Click INTERNET OPTIONS.

NOTE: In Windows 98/Me/2000, click Start, select Settings, then click Control Panel. Double-click Internet Options.

4. Click the SECURITY tab.
5. Click DEFAULT LEVEL.
6. Click OK.

D. DISABLE GRAPHIC COMPRESSION IN AOL PREFERENCES
1. On the AOL Toolbar, click SETTINGS then click PREFERENCES
2. Click INTERNET PROPERTIES (WWW).
3. Click the WEB GRAPHICS tab.
4. Select 'Never Compress Grahics', then click OK.

E. REPAIR MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER
Damaged Web browser files may cause this issue. Windows XP users should skip this entire section.

1. CHECK THE VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER
a. Click START, select PROGRAMS or ALL PROGRAMS, select AMERICA ONLINE, then click AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION. The window will open, which will take a moment.
b. Note the Browser Version, then click CLOSE.

2. REPAIR MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 6.x/5.x (MSIE)
a. Click START, select SETTINGS, then click CONTROL PANEL.
b. Double-click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.
c. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x/5.x and Internet Tools, then click ADD/REMOVE or CHANGE/REMOVE.

NOTE: If the window does not list Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x/5.x and Internet Tools, click the X in the upper right corner to close the Add/Remove Programs and Control Panel windows. Please follow the instructions to upgrade to MSIE 6.x.

3. UPGRADE THE WEB BROWSER
a. Sign on to AOL as you would normally.
b. Go to AOL Keyword: Browser.
c. Click UPGRADE.
d. Note the approximate download time, then click DOWNLOAD NOW.

NOTE: The file SWSETUP.EXE will download and install automatically. When the download is complete, AOL will close automatically. During the installation, when you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK.

NOTE: This version will include 128 bit encoding.

get a copy of an internet explorer 6 installer from here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

completely uninstall aol.9 including any program folders.

uninstall ie via add/remove programs or add/remove
components

install ie.6

reinstall aol.9

restart pc.