BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I'm at my wits end with this problem. I have a system I built that every three months it get a boot failure.In the past I would go into the bios and auto detect and it would work again. Well the drive failed to boot again.The bios says it's not installed.The funny thing I noticed is I decided to hook up another small drive to the pc and see if the bios would reconize this drive and it did. I hooked the other drive with the boot failure up and then the drive was reconized by the bios. I loaded XP and everything on last night and it was working great. I fired it up this murning and it was fine after loading some programs.To night I turn it on and get a boot failure so I took the older drive hooked it up and the bios reconized it.I then took the problem drive hooked it up and the bios reconized it and it booted.It is funny that The bios does not reconize the drive untill I hook another drive up and remove it and hook the problem drive up.Could this be a problem with the board"MSI KT266"? I changed cables and that didn't make a difference.I changed batteries and that was not the problem. Any Ideas. bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

PartieHonteuse

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2004
how old is your computer/BIOS? And how big is the hard drive currently having problems and how big is the older hard drive? Reason i'm asking is that maybe your BIOS isn't too up to date to handle a bigger drive if in fact the drive you're having problems with is bigger than 40gb and your computer is about 3 years or more old.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
The Bios is updated ont he K7T266 msi board.The drive with the possible problem is 40gig and the older drive is only 8 gig.The Pc is olny 2.5 years. Has had this problem one year after it was built. Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I had a similar problem with a computer that I was building. Are you using a PATA hard drive or an SATA hard drive? If you're using PATA try changing the jumper settings. I jumped mine to cable select and I had no problems.

<font color=red>Urban Geek </font color=red>