Adobe Responds to Steve Jobs' 'Lazy' Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
If only did the big companies like Apple and Google both allowed to use OGG as the HTML5 issue, Flash video really would be extinct and said standard would be in the forefront. However, Apple really needs to wake up and put Flash into its products. I can't think of a computer or device that I use that doesn't have Flash. Hell even typing on this Macbook I have Flash installed...

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah, no flash is a deal-breaker. It's why I don't run Linux on and therefore get little use of my iBook G4s, although Adobe is squarely to blame in this case.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
""According to Lynch Adobe is ready to enable Flash in the browser on these devices "if and when Apple chooses to allow that for its users," but to date Adobe has not had the required cooperation from Apple to make this happen.""

I believe this... Apple SUX!

Jazzmain

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Apple = Nazi
Jobs = Hilter

There I said it, now we don't have to wait for the Godwin's Law to come into play.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
That's what I just said. Apple is the lazy one..? What I was saying is that I have flash on my macbook, I don't see why Apple can't integrate flash into the ipad.

G

Apple might be more inclined to enable Flash on mobile devices if 90%+ of the Safari crash reports they receive weren't from the Flash plugin shitting the bed. Perhaps Adobe should try making a plugin that doesn't constantly fail and/or eat a core and change worth of CPU just to play video.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, most of the crash reports were from running the PPC Flash plugin on Intel macs. I have a mac and flash, and they work just fine. Shockwave player (a component of flash I believe? :| ) is buggy, without a doubt.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Steve Jobs is the only reason Apple is still a company (well that and ridicolous monopoly charges on microsoft). Steve Jobs is a business genius.

That being said... this is kinda hard to believe that he would say something so stupid. I want everyone to pay close attention to what I am about to say (I am a computer science major 3rd year so i know a little bit of what i'm talking about).

Coming out with superiour software DOES NOT mean that the older software is obselute!!!

Its just that simple ladies and gentlemen. Flash has dug its nails DEEP into our web life, and removing it will be a PAINFUL experience. I do beleive flash's days are numbered, but come on, there is no way it will go away anytime soon. Video sites, online games, and other useful browsing features will have to be completely rewritten.

If any of you have worked in retail, you will know that most stores use archaic technology in their systems. Do they use this technology because they have no otehr choice? No. They use it because it works, and thats enough for them.

The only catalyst that I can forsee finishing off flash is its lack of security. But even that is not a big enough factor to overthrow the web giant in time to save Steve Jobs from some serious humiliation.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
While it's silly Apple won't allow flash on the iPad, Jobs was right when he called Adobe lazy. They're not maintaining flash at all - they're just sitting on their cash cow.
Will flash always be around? Yes.
Will flash eventually be overrun by HTML5? Probably. 64-bit systems have been around for years and years but there still isn't 64-bit flash. Unless Adobe does a 180 and starts keeping their product up to date with current technology, it will be replaced.

gayan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Apple is afraid that if they would allow Flash support in the iPhone/iPod/iPad, then users will download free games and other flash based software, which will reduce The Steve Jobs Cut (=the margin they keep on the stuff sold on iTunes)

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
@Silicon Jesus
Explain to me how "Adobe is squarely to blame in this case." Isn't it Apple who won't let Flash work on their devices? As stated, Adobe is completely ready to adopt the iPhone/iPad into Flash, but Apple won't cooperate because it believes its "dated software" which happens to be on "85% of top websites" and hosts "75% of all internet videos." Did you even read the article?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]adobesucksdick[/nom]Apple might be more inclined to enable Flash on mobile devices if 90%+ of the Safari crash reports they receive weren't from the Flash plugin shitting the bed. Perhaps Adobe should try making a plugin that doesn't constantly fail and/or eat a core and change worth of CPU just to play video.[/citation]

If that was true (which its NOT), it would point out shortcomings with Safari, since even the POS IE6 doesn't crash from Flash very often.

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
If HTML could reliably do everything Flash does that would certainly save us a lot of effort, but that does not appear to be coming to pass.

So instead of being lazy, Adobe is wistfully yearning to be lazy.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Here we go again. The first consumer based 64bit x 86 based processor was released by AMD in 2003. Yet in 2010 we still don't have a 64bit adobe flash. While many see adobe as simply a plugin that allows us to view video online, it’s also responsible for those silly little web adds we're constantly bombarded with nearly every mouse click, or any number of client crashes and security vulnerabilities in many web browsers. The author states “85 percent of the top web sites contain Flash content and Flash runs on over 98 percent of computers on the Web.” Accepting this as true would mean Adobe has a monopoly on the flash market. I don’t think a monopoly bodes well for any of us that simply want to surf the web, free of all the annoying advertisements. While I applaud Steve Jobs for not using flash in its devices, because it spurns competition to adobe flash, (i.e. HTML) I also call Jobs “on the carpet” for its closed platform and locking customers into the App store. In short, I’m a strong advocate of keeping the internet free and open and not turning it into one big advertising medium, and always allowing users to have choice as to what technology they use as they navigate the internet and not being locked into the App Store, Adobe Flash or anything else.

G

Jobs is at least partially right. Adobe IS lazy. Where's the x64 version of Flash? Are they waiting for computers to go 128-bit?

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]actually i'm pretty sure that my copy of adobe flash professional i use in school has options for installing to 64 bit , maybe the code isnt 64 bit but up to date flash will work on 64 bit pcs.[/citation]
You can run flash on a 64-bit machine, yes, but is not 64-bit flash. The code is still 32-bit. If you want flash, it's impossible to use a 64-bit browser - flash won't work.

64 bit computers have been around since XP, and have become VERY common since Vista released in 2006. 4 years later, in the incredibly fast market of computers, Adobe's product lies stagnant, unimproved. If it takes over 4 year to release a working version of your software for a quickly growing market, I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a lazy company.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Flash is a pain in the butt. It often has the failure to register error on 6ie-ie7.... Even with an admin account and manually registering components of the plug-in.

Flash for firefox never seems to have that problem though...(xp and win7)

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
While everyone is calling Adobe lazy, so is Apple. Just look at all the issues people are having with their 27' iMacs or MacPro towers playing MP3's.

I find it rather ironic that Apple is calling Adobe lazy, when in fact they are just as lazy.

In regards to flash performance, I never had an issue, because I always had at least a somewhat decent video card. Hell, for $50 you can get a decent video card nowadays.

Bottom line, Flash is not going anywhere, so people should just get over it and accept it. Apple is clearly trying to protect there profits, that it.

G

Lets not forget that the main reason people bought Apple products was to run Adobe products on it. It has been a partnership working in Apples favor for a long time. How many graphic designers run Adobe products on a PC in 2000? Seems like Apple is forgetting it's roots.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I think Apple is the Lazy one. Adobe is a legend and Apple's Ipad can not be a Internet Dream if it
doesn't allow Flash. Apples's Quicktime only makes up 20 percent or less of the movies on the web. If
they think we are going to convert all the movies to their format to play them they are sadly mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.