Sign in with
Your question

Long Beep then powers off

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2002 12:55:40 AM

One of my systems powers off after a long beep after I turn on the pc. No video comes up. Whole thing takes about 10 seconds. A7V133. Sytem worked fine until I swaped out the 850 Duron in it for a 1333 Athlon. First attemp booted. Then I rebooted and changed the bios settings for the athlon. After that the problem stated above started. I pulled the mobo battery and unplugged the system for a few hours to reset the bios but that didnt do anything. Same problem. Any ideas? I know this problem has happened to many people but I cant remember what the solution was. My power supply is a good one so I dont suspect it. Enermax 465w.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

More about : long beep powers

May 18, 2002 12:59:49 AM

Is it just one long beep or long beeps... If it is long beeps that keep beeping it means your RAM is not installed (make sure its snug)

But if it is just 1 long beep then I am not sure sorry =(

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB
May 18, 2002 1:08:49 AM

One long beep as stated. Pulled my battery again and and the power cord and will let it sit overnight and see what happens.

Related resources
May 18, 2002 4:55:37 PM

<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html" target="_new">Definitions and Solutions for BIOS Error Beeps and Messages/Codes</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
May 29, 2002 1:54:11 AM

Update: Had to return the motherboard for repair/replacement. Currently waiting for it.

May 29, 2002 4:54:11 PM

did you change cpu health or shut down option in the bios? i.e. shut down for cpu fan, or shut down when cpu fan rpm is less than xxxx.

you may attached the fan plug improperly, or attached it to another switch, or you did not install the heatsink correctly.

i had the same problem with drv2 when i anstalled V7 and the fan shut downs was chosen in the bios, so i had to disable them to work

wish if there was UnDo in the life
May 29, 2002 10:45:58 PM

Um, if you read my post you will see that I cannot enter the bios... lol

May 30, 2002 2:57:13 AM

If it is an Athlon with a Polimino core you might have just needed to adjust one of the jumpers
May 30, 2002 7:33:57 AM

Read the original post again... Putting Duron back in same result...

May 30, 2002 6:01:26 PM

what kind of mother board? my soyo dragon does exactly what your saying if there is no fan plugged into the cpu header. to bypass it i have to hold insert right when i turn it on then i can go into the bios and turn that feature off.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
May 31, 2002 12:00:46 AM

What version of your A7V133? I heard that only version 1.05 can support XP.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 31, 2002 12:16:49 AM

Yes, that is correct I was not putting an XP processor in it. Revision 1.05. with the dot after the 5 is the revision that supporst XP processors witht he A7V133 and higher revisions of course. Revision 1.05 without the dot after the number 5 will not work with XP processors. This I have verified online and with Asus on the phone.

May 31, 2002 2:21:01 AM

Sorry, I thought it's XP. Did you set JEN jumper right for JumperFree settings? or have you tried Jumper mode to see if it work?
Anyway, if you need to clear CMOS, you have to short 2 solder joints of CLEAR CMOS (I used flat-head screw driver)close to the battery or it wouldn't work.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 31, 2002 3:24:41 AM

yes, yes, yes. I am a veteran pc builder. This one stumped me and everyone I asked. Very weird.

May 31, 2002 12:49:29 PM

Even a "veteran PC builder" might miss the obvious! :wink:

This is my new sig.
May 31, 2002 2:51:52 PM

I had a similar error with a BD-7 (ABit) board, and a P4 1.80A (512K cache) CPU. In this case the board han a hex display that froze at POST stage A7, and a very long repeating beep. I was told in a forum that this indicated that the board required to be BIOS flashed to accomodate the new P4. Of course, I couldn't even get to boot time, so I exchanged it for an ABit BD-7II, which appeared to fix that.

Good luck.
May 31, 2002 3:02:09 PM

I had this same problem with a Soyo Dragon motherboard, for the life of me I could not find any one else who had this problem. So I conceded defeat and took my system into a computer shop. They said it was because the fan was not being recognized by the motherboard, so the motherboard just beeped a long beep and shutdown.

So maybe try a different fan or make sure that it's connected or follow what jihiggs suggested.

Good luck!
Jez

Keep your blood clean,your body lean,and your mind sharp.-Henry Rollins
May 31, 2002 8:45:15 PM

I cant argue with that! It is just less likely.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hobbit on 05/31/02 04:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 31, 2002 8:50:08 PM

Yeah, all myself and others came up with before I sent it back was either a bios failure or something else on the motherboard failed. I really dont know and didnt pull out all the stops trying to fix it since it was a very odd error and I was just not willing to tear the entire system apart and waste a lot of time experimenting. Some days you dont mind doing that and others you only want to toss it in the garbage.

May 31, 2002 8:52:50 PM

Yes, well its too late to try another fan. My silverado worked for nearly a near with no problem so I figured that there is no way its something like that but you never know. Maybe simply unplugging the fan power and replugging it back in would have done the trick. I dont know. I doubt it though.

!