Hello Group
Can someone tell me what the PREFETCH folder is.
I have looked in and seen references to programs I no longer have.
Can I delete those references.
Thank You
John

Yes you can. Clean it out about every 3 weeks.

The Prefetch folder contains information regarding the optimal disk layout
of program files so they launch quicker. You may delete all those files,
but XP will rebuild that folder so that your computer runs as efficiently
as possible. After deleting the prefetch files, your computer's performance
will suffer slightly until the prefetch folder is rebuilt. It takes approximately
three computer reboots to properly rebuild the prefetch folder contents.

Windows XP's Built-In Optimization

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Chrome Boy" <ChromeBoy461@thonghotmail.com> wrote in message:

| Hello Group
| Can someone tell me what the PREFETCH folder is.
| I have looked in and seen references to programs I no longer have.
| Can I delete those references.
| Thank You
| John

"Chrome Boy" <ChromeBoy461@thonghotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group
> Can someone tell me what the PREFETCH folder is.
> I have looked in and seen references to programs I no longer have.
> Can I delete those references.
> Thank You
> John

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_prefetch

HTH
~Silj

--
siljaline

MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
________________________
Anti-Parasite Definition Updates

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Thank You Both for your kind replies.
I only want to remove the references to old programs and leave the folder
intact.
Thank you too for the link to Kellys Korner which I will be going to.
John

"Chrome Boy" <ChromeBoy461@thonghotmail.com> wrote:
> Thank You Both for your kind replies.
> I only want to remove the references to old programs and leave the folder
> intact.
> Thank you too for the link to Kellys Korner which I will be going to.
> John

Cheers & regards from Canada.
~Silj

--