Upgrading a Name Brand system Duron to Athlon

G

I have a Compaq 5000US that I got cheap. It has a 750Mhz Duron processor and I want to upgrade it. I ordered a 1.4 Ghz Socket A Athlon. My question is what will I need to watch out for when upgrading this system. I'm hoping for a plug and play operation.

Here are some specs.
Power Supply: 250W
Cooling: 2 case fans, 1 CPU fan and Heatsink
BIOS: Most recent version

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
1. Make sure the BIOS supports the 1.4GHz
2. Upgrade your power supply to at least 300W. Make sure it's a name brand.
3. Make sure you have a decent heatsink/fan and run (if the mobo supports it) a monitoring software.
4. Promise to never buy a Compaq and ask questions here again. :smile:

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did you buy an Athlon "A", 200mhz, or a Athlon "B" 266mhz? Hopefully you bought the former as that old OEM system probably only supports a 100 mhz (200mhz DDR) bus. If you ordered the Athlon B then it will probably still work but it will likely POST at 1050 mhz (10.5*100 mhz) instead of its intended 1400mhz (10.5*133 mhz).

Also, I hope you ordered either a retail CPU which will include a heatsink and fan or you ordered a new heatsink and fan because those with the Duron will be inadequate.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your power supply may or may not work. OEM power supplies from the major companies tend to be rated more conservatively than inexpensive Generic or Store Brand supplies, but still, 250W is a little on the week side even for a good quality supply.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thank you all for your expert advice,...and comentary on my purchasing decisions. Based on your advice I'm going to trade the Athlon for a 1.3G Duron. I do have a 200Mhz bus and did not take that into account when purchasing. I will upgrade the power supply and I have already upgraded the fan and heatsink.