Don't get local IP after establishing a connection

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio with a "LAN Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter"
(802.11b), running Windows XP SP1.

I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.

I've tried it all. I'm properly connecting the router to the DSL
modem, reset both... I configured the router for PPPoE, which is the
connection I have. I tried both, dynamic and static IP for the
internal LAN - always configuring TCP/IP in the laptop everytime I
changed the settings in the router. I've checked the routes with the
ROUTE command, and they're fine (if I connect the laptop to the router
with a cable, everything works fine). But the moment I unplug the
cable from the laptop and DO establish a wireless connection, despite
the routes don't change, even trying to ping the own laptop's IP won't
work (the 127.0.0.1 does work), and of course cannot even ping the
router. What could I be missing? Before the Linksys router I also
tried a D-Link AP with same results, get a connection, I see data
going out but nothing coming in and no IP assigned to the laptop...

Does anyone know what could this be?
Regards,
Luis
12 answers Last reply
More about local establishing connection

    "Luis" <luissalfro@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

    > Hi,

    > I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
    > get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
    > the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
    > connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.

    ~

    Is WEP encryption at your router on here? You might have to enter not only
    the SSID into your wireless card but the the wep KEY in addition. If you
    don't, the connection is established, but there is no data sent.

    Rens

    > Is WEP encryption at your router on here? You might have to enter not only
    > the SSID into your wireless card but the the wep KEY in addition. If you
    > don't, the connection is established, but there is no data sent.

    Yes, I'm using WEP and the key is entered and correct. I also tried
    disabling that, both in the router and in Windows with the same
    results. I'm about to give up. Too much time spent troubleshooting
    something that should've been a 30 minutes task at most.

    Thanks for your help.
    Luis

    Perhaps a silly question, but did you enable DHCP on the WLAN adapter and
    the DHCP server in the router (with a pool of addresses)?

    "Luis" <luissalfro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio with a "LAN Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter"
    > (802.11b), running Windows XP SP1.
    >
    > I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
    > get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
    > the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
    > connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.
    >
    > I've tried it all. I'm properly connecting the router to the DSL
    > modem, reset both... I configured the router for PPPoE, which is the
    > connection I have. I tried both, dynamic and static IP for the
    > internal LAN - always configuring TCP/IP in the laptop everytime I
    > changed the settings in the router. I've checked the routes with the
    > ROUTE command, and they're fine (if I connect the laptop to the router
    > with a cable, everything works fine). But the moment I unplug the
    > cable from the laptop and DO establish a wireless connection, despite
    > the routes don't change, even trying to ping the own laptop's IP won't
    > work (the 127.0.0.1 does work), and of course cannot even ping the
    > router. What could I be missing? Before the Linksys router I also
    > tried a D-Link AP with same results, get a connection, I see data
    > going out but nothing coming in and no IP assigned to the laptop...
    >
    > Does anyone know what could this be?
    > Regards,
    > Luis

    > Perhaps a silly question, but did you enable DHCP on the WLAN adapter and
    > the DHCP server in the router (with a pool of addresses)?

    Yup. In fact I tried pretty much everything, enabling DHCP when
    connecting the router to the DSL modem, and disabling it (static IP)
    when connecting the router to an internal LAN that connects to the DSL
    modem through a Linux box acting as a gateway. I'm not a seasoned
    networking expert but I have some experience, like I said, connecting
    the laptop to the wireless router with a cable, everything works fine,
    the IP routes in the laptop make sense, I get an IP, I can do
    absolutely anything, but the moment I unplug the cable and try to go
    wireless (whether I reboot or not), my laptop is left with no IP
    assigned to it, just the loopback 127...

    Luis

    > > Perhaps a silly question, but did you enable DHCP on the WLAN adapter
    and
    > > the DHCP server in the router (with a pool of addresses)?
    >
    > Yup. In fact I tried pretty much everything, enabling DHCP when
    > connecting the router to the DSL modem, and disabling it (static IP)
    > when connecting the router to an internal LAN that connects to the DSL
    > modem through a Linux box acting as a gateway. I'm not a seasoned
    > networking expert but I have some experience, like I said, connecting
    > the laptop to the wireless router with a cable, everything works fine,
    > the IP routes in the laptop make sense, I get an IP, I can do
    > absolutely anything, but the moment I unplug the cable and try to go
    > wireless (whether I reboot or not), my laptop is left with no IP
    > assigned to it, just the loopback 127...
    >
    > Luis
    >

    > > "Luis" <luissalfro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a Sony Vaio with a "LAN Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter"
    > > > (802.11b), running Windows XP SP1.
    > > >
    > > > I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
    > > > get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
    > > > the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
    > > > connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried it all. I'm properly connecting the router to the DSL
    > > > modem, reset both... I configured the router for PPPoE, which is the
    > > > connection I have. I tried both, dynamic and static IP for the
    > > > internal LAN - always configuring TCP/IP in the laptop everytime I
    > > > changed the settings in the router. I've checked the routes with the
    > > > ROUTE command, and they're fine (if I connect the laptop to the router
    > > > with a cable, everything works fine). But the moment I unplug the
    > > > cable from the laptop and DO establish a wireless connection, despite
    > > > the routes don't change, even trying to ping the own laptop's IP won't
    > > > work (the 127.0.0.1 does work), and of course cannot even ping the
    > > > router. What could I be missing? Before the Linksys router I also
    > > > tried a D-Link AP with same results, get a connection, I see data
    > > > going out but nothing coming in and no IP assigned to the laptop...
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know what could this be?
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Luis

    One last thing before you give up. YOu might take a look at the TCP/IP
    settings associated with the wireles adapter. Make sure it is set for
    "obtain and IP address automatically".

    --
    Bob Alston

    ---

    check PCMCIA slots not detect pc card

[...]

    Of course you should do all the obvious that everybody will tell you; right
    WEP/WPA mode, enable DHCP etc. If that is all right and you experience the
    same problem still, then you are not alone...
    My Sony VAIO had the same problem. I have several wireless machines,
    wireless 2 routers and 1 access point, all working fine, except with my
    VIAO! (Vaio A115S with Intel 2200BG chipset)
    I was sending packets, but receiving none. (See status screen of connection)
    After debugging for a very long time, I discussed the problem with Belkin
    support team in the UK (I have a Belkin router) one of the support engineers
    concluded that I had a RF interference problem!
    The Sony team has been very pleasant and helpfull, but they clearly lack
    technical wireless expertise...

    He suggested to switch off all mobile phones, base stations, GSM phones,
    everything with an antenna, except the Belkin router and the Viao. So I did.
    And.... supprise; after rebooting all worked fine!

    I switched on all equipment one by one and had NO problems anymore
    thereafter. It seems that DECT and GSM are working on an entirly different
    frequency, so I don't know what solved it.

    Bravo Belkin!

    Cheers, Bert

    "Luis" <luissalfro@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio with a "LAN Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter"
    > (802.11b), running Windows XP SP1.
    >
    > I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
    > get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
    > the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
    > connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.
    >
    > I've tried it all. I'm properly connecting the router to the DSL
    > modem, reset both... I configured the router for PPPoE, which is the
    > connection I have. I tried both, dynamic and static IP for the
    > internal LAN - always configuring TCP/IP in the laptop everytime I
    > changed the settings in the router. I've checked the routes with the
    > ROUTE command, and they're fine (if I connect the laptop to the router
    > with a cable, everything works fine). But the moment I unplug the
    > cable from the laptop and DO establish a wireless connection, despite
    > the routes don't change, even trying to ping the own laptop's IP won't
    > work (the 127.0.0.1 does work), and of course cannot even ping the
    > router. What could I be missing? Before the Linksys router I also
    > tried a D-Link AP with same results, get a connection, I see data
    > going out but nothing coming in and no IP assigned to the laptop...
    >
    > Does anyone know what could this be?
    > Regards,
    > Luis

    > Of course you should do all the obvious that everybody will tell you; right
    > WEP/WPA mode, enable DHCP etc. If that is all right and you experience the
    > same problem still, then you are not alone...

    That's comoforting :-)

    > I was sending packets, but receiving none. (See status screen of connection)
    > After debugging for a very long time, I discussed the problem with Belkin
    > support team in the UK (I have a Belkin router) one of the support engineers
    > concluded that I had a RF interference problem!

    But did you get an IP? Somehow because the laptop doesn't get an IP,
    it makes sense that networking doesn't work (well actually protocols
    other than TCP/IP didn't work either so it is more like the laptop and
    the router see each other, they just don't know how to "talk" to each
    other). I even purchased a lower end router 802.11b instead of the 'g'
    (the laptop has a 'b' card) just to be 100% in synch, despite 'g' is
    backwards compatible.

    I actually had a baby monitor nearby but I did disconnect it fearing
    it might be related, and tried everything again and again for hours,
    so that can't be it. It's amazing that you've got yours working that
    way. I wish same thing had happened to me!

    Regards,
    Luis

    On 21 Jul 2004 01:19:00 -0700, Luis wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio with a "LAN Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter"
    > (802.11b), running Windows XP SP1.
    >
    > I purchased the Linksys Wireless-B 802.11b "broadband" router and I
    > get to the point that I can establish a wireless connection between
    > the laptop and the router, but I don't get a IP address once the
    > connection is established, and so I'm stuck there.
    >
    > I've tried it all. I'm properly connecting the router to the DSL
    > modem, reset both... I configured the router for PPPoE, which is the
    > connection I have. I tried both, dynamic and static IP for the
    > internal LAN - always configuring TCP/IP in the laptop everytime I
    > changed the settings in the router. I've checked the routes with the
    > ROUTE command, and they're fine (if I connect the laptop to the router
    > with a cable, everything works fine). But the moment I unplug the
    > cable from the laptop and DO establish a wireless connection, despite
    > the routes don't change, even trying to ping the own laptop's IP won't
    > work (the 127.0.0.1 does work), and of course cannot even ping the
    > router. What could I be missing? Before the Linksys router I also
    > tried a D-Link AP with same results, get a connection, I see data
    > going out but nothing coming in and no IP assigned to the laptop...
    >
    > Does anyone know what could this be?
    > Regards,
    > Luis

    I don't hear the word "firewall" among the things you checked. If you're
    running one, make sure the range of lan addresses is an exception. If you
    decide to stop the firewall from loading while testing, be aware that
    sometimes ZoneAlarm doesn't really stop when you prevent it from loading,
    you actually have to uninstall the program, and reinstall it later. Check
    to see whether XP's firewall is active, if you're using XP.

    --
    Barry

    Check your firewall, specifically your software firewall. It could be
    detecting a "new network" and is preventing it from having access. If
    you've enabled MAC address filtering, make sure your laptop's MAC
    address is listed.

    On 21 Jul 2004 16:16:11 -0700, luissalfro@hotmail.com (Luis) wrote:

    >> Is WEP encryption at your router on here? You might have to enter not only
    >> the SSID into your wireless card but the the wep KEY in addition. If you
    >> don't, the connection is established, but there is no data sent.
    >
    >Yes, I'm using WEP and the key is entered and correct. I also tried
    >disabling that, both in the router and in Windows with the same
    >results. I'm about to give up. Too much time spent troubleshooting
    >something that should've been a 30 minutes task at most.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >Luis

    > I don't hear the word "firewall" among the things you checked. If you're
    > running one, make sure the range of lan addresses is an exception.

    Yes, I am running the Norton Internet Security that came with the
    laptop, and I did try both, assigning the proper IP addresses as "do
    not block" and disabling the firewall software alltogether. Same
    results. But regardless, like I say, if I plug in the cable,
    everything works instantly - with the same IPs - but it is when I go
    wireless when suddenly nothing works, so that shouldn't be the
    problem, though I should have mentioned it, yes.

    Thanks for your help.
    Luis

    Luis wrote:
    >> I don't hear the word "firewall" among the things you checked. If
    >> you're running one, make sure the range of lan addresses is an
    >> exception.
    >
    > Yes, I am running the Norton Internet Security that came with the
    > laptop, and I did try both, assigning the proper IP addresses as "do
    > not block" and disabling the firewall software alltogether. Same
    > results. But regardless, like I say, if I plug in the cable,
    > everything works instantly - with the same IPs - but it is when I go
    > wireless when suddenly nothing works, so that shouldn't be the
    > problem, though I should have mentioned it, yes.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Luis

    This is a guess only, but on a Linksys 802.11b PC-Card with the same
    problem, there were strange entries in the card properties in Device
    Manager. These should not have been an issue with WZC, but blanking the
    bogus data took care of the problem and it has never returned.

Wireless Routers Connection Wireless Networking