[SOLVED] USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Mac will include the USB 3.0 when the intel boards include the USB 3.0 standard on all motherboards. Right now we are just kind of at a crossroads... Seeing as USB 3.0 is backwards compatible it shouldn't be much of a problem. As for the thunderbolt interface, I think it's going to have some trouble getting widespread traction. I believe sony is going with a completely different interface than apple, which will drop the overall value of a thunderbolt port *either apple or sony*. What I believe USB 3.0 has going for it is the interface, it's universal *LOL* and there for developers have no problem inventing and using that interface for a large percentage of computers without having to manufacture two+ different interfaces.

As many...

warhead0

Distinguished
USB 3.0 is still very new, so you will be able to get by without it.

USB 2.0 is still the most common method of connectivity, You will see a change in the future to more products using USB 3.0

in short USB 2.0 is still viable and will be for at least the next few years.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Mac will include the USB 3.0 when the intel boards include the USB 3.0 standard on all motherboards. Right now we are just kind of at a crossroads... Seeing as USB 3.0 is backwards compatible it shouldn't be much of a problem. As for the thunderbolt interface, I think it's going to have some trouble getting widespread traction. I believe sony is going with a completely different interface than apple, which will drop the overall value of a thunderbolt port *either apple or sony*. What I believe USB 3.0 has going for it is the interface, it's universal *LOL* and there for developers have no problem inventing and using that interface for a large percentage of computers without having to manufacture two+ different interfaces.

As many of you have probably read, due to current limitations in technology, many solutions thunderbolt don't provide much of a speed boost over USB 3.0. Which means at the moment I believe USB 3.0 has a bit of an advantage.

Can I live without the 3.0 port? Yes, backwards compatibility will allow me to live without it... Do I like it?.. Nope not one little bit, but I think it will be added in the future. I think thunderbolt will ultimately go the way of firewire... many different interface versions that end up costing us apple users 100's of dollars to replace cords and adapters which worked fine on previous generation laptops.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.