Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I just finished putting together my new Workstation for
video editing and digital content creation. This is my
first time running windows XP Pro. My problems are 1)
Everything is running much slower than I expected with
the specs I have(will post in a sec) and 2) none of the
games I own will run after installation (one of them said
that it was because it didn't support the graphics
card). Here are my specs:

SuperMicro X5DA8 Motherboard
2 Intel Xeon 3.2ghz Processors
2 Gigs RAM
76Gb Seagate Hard Disk
CDRW
DVDRW
Graphics Card: Matrox Parhelia 256Mb Tri Display

I've installed the service pack, and done all of the
windows updates. Help!!

With regards to the games, have you tried running them in
compatibility mode?
Go here for more details:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russ
el/02february18.asp
(you may have to copy and paste the two lines of the link
into your browser - couldn't use the Tiny URL as I don't
have that link here either).

Not sure why your computer is running slow, check in the
Task Manager to see if anything in particular is eating
up CPU usage and then post back and maybe someone with
more experience than I can assist you there.
Have you checked for spyware/malaware using Ad-Aware
and/or Spybot Seek and Destroy, what about viruses?

mark

Check the game makers webpages for updates.

Check Matrox webpage for a newer driver for the video card.

In CMOS Setup check th AGP Aperture size and AGP mode are set correctly. Also, play around with the all the AGP settings (fast write, , synchronization, etc.) to see if that improves system performance