Reinstalling WinXP Home from WinXP Pro..

Hi everyone,
I had WinXP Pro and was running well for my home use before I upgraded to
WinXP Pro.
But that was not running well and I decided to reinstall XP Home.
When reinstalling Home,I installed as a New Installation from Win Set Up
CD.I forgot to back up my earlier data files,My Documents folders whch were
password protected.
Now I can not retrieve my old files.Some folders/files are shown but Access
is denied.
Please can anyone suggest/help me to recover my data?
Thanks a lot.
ANIL P

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

After you backup your files, perform a "clean install" of XP Home.
You should have installed another operating system in the same partition.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Anil P" <anilpasnani@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

| Hi everyone,
| I had WinXP Pro and was running well for my home use before I upgraded to
| WinXP Pro.
| But that was not running well and I decided to reinstall XP Home.
| When reinstalling Home,I installed as a New Installation from Win Set Up
| CD.I forgot to back up my earlier data files,My Documents folders whch were
| password protected.
| Now I can not retrieve my old files.Some folders/files are shown but Access
| is denied.
| Please can anyone suggest/help me to recover my data?
| Thanks a lot.
| ANIL P

Hi Carey,
Thanks for the reply.
I tried to get ownership of the folder as mentioned in the article but I
could not start XP Home in SAFE MODE.
Could you explain in detailed steps please?
Thank You.
ANIL P