kim

My department just got XP installed today. Previously on NT, we were able to hit Ctrl G from Windows Explorer and type in the file path (network). Now with XP, because we are not Administrators, we can't type in a path. If I try to, I receive this error "Access to the resource 'x:\folder\' has been disallowed"

This really slows down the workflow. Is there some option/permission that the Admin can set to allow us to type a path into the address bar?

If anybody has a solution, I would be most grateful!

Thanks,
Kim

Yes

You are welcome,
steve

"Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My department just got XP installed today. Previously on NT, we were able
to hit Ctrl G from Windows Explorer and type in the file path (network).
Now with XP, because we are not Administrators, we can't type in a path. If
I try to, I receive this error "Access to the resource 'x:\folder\' has been
disallowed"

> This really slows down the workflow. Is there some option/permission that
the Admin can set to allow us to type a path into the address bar?

> If anybody has a solution, I would be most grateful!
>
> Thanks,
> Kim

kim

Cyou be so kind as to tell me how, so I can let our administrators know.

Thanks bunches!

Kim

----- joust in jest wrote: -----

Yes

You are welcome,
steve

"Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My department just got XP installed today. Previously on NT, we were able
to hit Ctrl G from Windows Explorer and type in the file path (network).
Now with XP, because we are not Administrators, we can't type in a path. If
I try to, I receive this error "Access to the resource 'x:\folder\' has been
disallowed"
>> This really slows down the workflow. Is there some option/permission that
the Admin can set to allow us to type a path into the address bar?
>> If anybody has a solution, I would be most grateful!
>> Thanks,
> Kim

It's across the wire, so we know it is on the Server side. The problem
could be: NTFS Permissions. Could be Share. Could be Dfs security. Could
be file-attrubutes. Could be Group Policy.

What NOS are they using? Novell? Windows NT? Windows 2000? Windows 2003?
Other?

Is the problem per user, or per workstation? Do users have roaming profiles
or static profiles? Is there only one folder that they can't go to, or is it
many? Is the problem specific to one logical drives or all logical drives?

If you have administrators -- e.g. more than one administrator -- they
really should know this stuff, because it is basic "Introduction to Server"
level.