left portion of taskbar no longer appears

xp pro sp1 + all updates from http://www.windowsupdate.com

i no longer see the left portion of my task-bar (the portion containing the
"desktop" icon + icons for applications -- a single-click starts them up)

how to bring it into view ?

if it has somehow been deleted, how to recreate it ?

NOTE: i can no longer drag desktop icons onto the taskbar and have them
become part of the taskbar -- as i used to be able to

"John A Grandy" <> wrote in message
> xp pro sp1 + all updates from http://www.windowsupdate.com
>
> i no longer see the left portion of my task-bar (the portion containing
the
> "desktop" icon + icons for applications -- a single-click starts them up)
> how to bring it into view ?
> if it has somehow been deleted, how to recreate it ?

Hi John,

Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar, and from the context menu
ensure that Toolbars -> Quick Launch is checked.
If this still doesn't cause the Quick Launch toolbar to display, then from
the same context menu un-check "Lock the Taskbar", which makes the taskbar
and all sub-toolbars on it moveable. Look for the handle of the quicklaunch
bar, and drag it to a more visible position.

Hope this helps?