AntiMatter69

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
:cry: I just got the point release for my quake3. But as soon as i run it and select multiplayer. that bloody McAfee virus thing comes up and asks do i want to grant it acsess to the net. but that's when my pc frezziz.

Please can one of u pc genius-isis help me.

i'd be very greatful. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I don't have McAfee but are u not able to go into the firewall options and point it in the direction of the Q3 .exe file and grant it access to the net?

Failing that are you able to open the game in windowed mode which might not free the game for the one time you need to grant Q3 access?

Or just uninstall McAffe and use AVG free as an antivirus program and ZoneAlarm as a software firewall.

OR see if you can find a Q3 forum where someone else has had the problem and might have a solution already.

AntiMatter69

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I've tried disabling McAfee (15 mth triel with my new dell) And it still happens. what u said about going into the firewall options and granting acsess through there, sounds like it's worth a try. I'll let u know if it works.

i was wondering 2 things m8.

(1) Is it dangarous to go on say css, or Q3 without security software enabled?

(2) Are these free security progs just as good as one's u pay for?

Thanks again m8

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Its a firewall asking if you want to run the program (Quake 3) to run at all ports. You should select yes if you can but sometimes it causes a pc to freeze up like yours, so disabling it would be another choice. Sometimes firewalls will ask you this kind of question when you install games and you should grant it or it will just block the program or games from running.

Try launching the game again and if the messege comes up then exit the game by hitting control alt delete keys to go to main screen. Then you should be able to select the options.

AntiMatter69

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Iv'e done this and the task Maneger Comes up but i cant select end task. either with mouse or by using the keys.

But i tried wolfy's idea and it worked except as soon as i entered a match (server) after about 10 secs the programe was shut down with that error report thingy. but atleast i was able to access multiplayer this time. so thank's for all your help Chuck and wolfy. i taught i was gonna get laughed at. :lol: :oops: :lol:

how safe is it to grant access to games such as Q3 and CS,S???
:lol: And Don't Bloody Laugh :lol:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

Very dangerous. I hear a lot of people get shot playing those games :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! That's a good one!

Well, in terms of virus and hacker attacks, not really. That's what the internet security/anti-virus for. When it says it allows it, it means that the firewall will allow the game to run and communicate through the net but still proctects your pc while you play games.

Okay how about try reinstalling the game and it should give you that message to wether you want or not want to allow the game to run in which you will need to select to allow it. It does to mine everytime but then again Im using Northon not McCafee.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
i taught i was gonna get laughed at. :lol: :oops: :lol:

We can be quite unfriendly here at times, me especially, I've a nerdy vicious streak about me however I do try and help where I can.

Allowing games access to the net through your firewall is fine.

I personally use as AVG Free and ZA Pro (cracked) for my antivirus and software firewall. I also now have a wireless modem/router which further helps as a hardware firewall. To be honest ask anyone what AV and firewall they use and you will get different answers all day long.

I personally don't have any major problems with virus's, AVG detects the odd one every now and then and they get get deleted. It's really a matter of choice at the end of the day. Antivirus is all the same at the end of the day and I like ZoneAlarm as a firewall as it tends to have a good user interface and good feedback as to what's happening (what has access, what's blocked and so on). Other firewalls seem to lack that and that makes me nervous cos I don't know what's happening.