Change Administrator

To Will and Vanguard:

Thanks for replying. The new pc I am getting has its own version of Windows XP already installed in it. I am aware that "sharing" registered software is not legal, so no need to blow the whistle yet.
I am still wondering about performing the lateral transfer of all the programs and software on my old pc (that he does not want to keep or use), and if I will need special software/hardware for this?
Any assistance greatly appreciated

..My son will be "inheriting" this pc that I am using now, as I have a new pc to set up.
All of the Gateway stores have closed .... I have heard about doing a "parallel transfer" which allows a user to send the informatiion on the original hard drive to the new one. Does anyone have any tips for this act ... do I need a connector lead and receiver, and will I need a particular coupler and would this be available in other pc stores? I have tried the FAQ's and did not find anything on this.
Also ... I would like to let him "crown" himself as the administrator.
Other than reformating the pc with XP, is there anywhere I can go back and name him as the administrator and not as "guesl".
I have tried FAQ's and Kelly' Korner, and did not see anything that addressed this in advice.
Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi

You can change the Owner/Organisation with the following from MVP Doug Knox:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

Since you are "giving" him the computer, just give him the password for
the Administrator account. Let him do the work of defining another user
account included in the Administrators group using whatever username and
password he wants on *his* new computer.

I take it that YOUR new computer will have its own new license for
Windows. If you intend to reuse the Windows license you currently have
on your old machine that you will be "giving" to your son, they you
won't have a legal copy of Windows to use on your machine unless you buy
one (whether separately or pre-installed). You don't get to use one
copy of Windows on two computers.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject

Use Windows XP Settings and Transfer wizard to transfer your data and
settings from old computer to new computer. Because they write dozens of
entries to the Registry, Programs do not transfer from machine to machine.

For Programs that your son does not want to use and you do, use the
"uninstall" option on his machine to uninstall them. Put the program disks
into your machine and do a clean install of the programs there.

Note: I think what you might refering to is "disk cloning" -- you would
pull the hard drive out of your new machine, add it as a slave to the old
machine, use cloning software to clone the old drive to the new drive, put
the new drive back into the new machine, then perform a system restore on
the new machine.
This will not work for you because (1) you will void your warranty and
(2) you will have a perfect copy of your old computer hardware, not your new
computer hardware and Operating System, not your new computer hardware and
Operating System.

steve