Temp file/folder delete (cont)

What should I edit under My Comp>Prop>Advan>EV>, "User Variable" and/or
"System Variables"?
The variables temp and tmp are set up under User Variables for Wabash (user
name) located at c:\Doc & Settings\wabash\ Local setting----, and also under
System Variables c:\windows\temp.
Are tmp files being placed in both locations when created?

This is all new to me (WinXP), so asking for further details/explanations,
I'm just
used to working with temp folder/files under c:\windows AND I don't want to
mess anything up.

L.

> Rt click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Environmental Variables and
> edit accordingly to have only one TEMP/TMP directory.

> "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> >
> > New to XP.
> >
> > Have temp folders and files under c:\Win and also under c:\Docs &
> > Settings\Wabash(user)\local settings.
> > When I do a disk-clean, most files are cleaned up under the c:\Win
folder but
> > not in Docs & Setting.
> > Have one only, User setup(Wabash) and it's signed on.
> > Also notice there is a Temp IE folder under Docs & Settings\wabash\---..
> >
> > The temp folder has "several" folders under it, including VirusDef,
OLTemp,
> > sr1patch, NAV, etc.etc.etc.
> >
> > Can/should I manually delete these folders as I've done under WIN98se,
the same way as
> > deleting c:\windows\temp?
> >
> > suggestions & thanks,
> >
> > L.

2 answers Last reply
More about temp file folder delete cont

    Hi,

    Depends on the program requiring the temp file. The default is the
    user-defined one, but some software looks for the system temp folder. Both
    should be left alone for normal operation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    > What should I edit under My Comp>Prop>Advan>EV>, "User Variable" and/or
    > "System Variables"?
    > The variables temp and tmp are set up under User Variables for Wabash
    > (user
    > name) located at c:\Doc & Settings\wabash\ Local setting----, and also
    > under
    > System Variables c:\windows\temp.
    > Are tmp files being placed in both locations when created?
    >
    > This is all new to me (WinXP), so asking for further details/explanations,
    > I'm just
    > used to working with temp folder/files under c:\windows AND I don't want
    > mess anything up.
    >
    > L.
    >

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Rt click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Environmental Variables
    >> and
    >> edit accordingly to have only one TEMP/TMP directory.
    >

    >> "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > New to XP.
    >> >
    >> > Have temp folders and files under c:\Win and also under c:\Docs &
    >> > Settings\Wabash(user)\local settings.
    >> > When I do a disk-clean, most files are cleaned up under the c:\Win
    > folder but
    >> > not in Docs & Setting.
    >> > Have one only, User setup(Wabash) and it's signed on.
    >> > Also notice there is a Temp IE folder under Docs &
    >> > Settings\wabash\---..
    >> >
    >> > The temp folder has "several" folders under it, including VirusDef,
    > OLTemp,
    >> > sr1patch, NAV, etc.etc.etc.
    >> >
    >> > Can/should I manually delete these folders as I've done under WIN98se,
    > the same way as
    >> > deleting c:\windows\temp?
    >> >
    >> > suggestions & thanks,
    >> >
    >> > L.

    When I run disk cleanup the temp folders under c:\win are mostly
    deleted(cleaned up) but have several folders and files under
    c:\doc&setting---temp and temp IE that won't delete
    See original post below..

    *******************************
    Have temp and internet temp folders and files under c:\Win and also under
    c:\Docs &
    Settings\Wabash(user)\local settings.
    When I run disk-cleanup, most files are cleaned up under the c:\win folder
    but
    not in c:\Docs & Setting.
    Have one only, User setup(Wabash) and it's signed on.
    There is a Temp IE folder under Docs & Settings\wabash\--- that is not
    deleting when I run disk cleanup..

    The temp folder under c:\docs&setting has "several" folders under it,
    including VirusDef, OLTemp,
    sr1patch, NAV, etc.etc.etc.

    Can/should I manually delete as I've done under WIN98se, the same way as
    deleting c:\windows\temp?

    Thanks for any additional suggestions,

    L.

Windows XP