Sp1 Not Recognized by Installer

April 22, 2004 7:52:38 PM

How do I get Microsoft installer to recognize that Sp1 is
installed on my hard drive? I've tried installing some
critical updates. However, an error message appears that
tells me I need to first install Sp1 before installing
the update. Sp1 is shown as installed in Control
Panel 'Add or Remove.'
Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Sp1? Will I goof up
things if I do that? Specifically, will
settings/applications I need to reinstall Sp1 still work?
Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:15:10 PM

swsmith wrote:
> How do I get Microsoft installer to recognize that Sp1 is
> installed on my hard drive? I've tried installing some
> critical updates. However, an error message appears that
> tells me I need to first install Sp1 before installing
> the update. Sp1 is shown as installed in Control
> Panel 'Add or Remove.'
> Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Sp1? Will I goof up
> things if I do that? Specifically, will
> settings/applications I need to reinstall Sp1 still work?
> Any help is appreciated.

Hello,
Go to Start menu, select RUN, and type in
WINVER <Enter>

Look at displayed info in window, and make sure it reads something similar to
Version 5.1 (yada-yada-yada).....Service Pack 1

Would you post back withe the specific Windows Update item that is the issue?
Also try looking at the Windows Update log for the real "Error".

Use Windows' Notepad to open this log:
C:\Windows\Windows Update.log (for Win XP & Win98/Me)

Scroll down to bottom of file---looking for entries dated the same as the "failure" date.

See MS Windows Update Troubleshooter:
Having found the "error" , then do a "search" on this MS page.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

And for now, do not remove XP Service Pack 1.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User