Sign in with
Your question

Intel 845G edges out VIA P4X333

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2002 8:55:11 PM

Yep, forget VIA problems, if you really want DDR333 on a P4, the i845G is your best choice for performance. Also it doesn't have the VIA factor, Intel chipsets are well know for their stability and compatability. And the Intel chipset is legal, while the VIA is illegal.

Once again the i850 continues to lead both, but some people are too stubborn to consider using RDRAM.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 20, 2002 9:14:54 PM

Get a P4S533 and some Samsung PC2700, run it at 400MHz+ and you'll outdo any DDR board out there.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2002 10:09:44 PM

It would have been nice if he had put a 645DX board in their for comparison, no? Why are all the comparisons on THG missing key components lately? Does TOM even read this any more?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 20, 2002 10:18:15 PM

maybe tom will write a P4 ddr motherboard round up (or something like that) that has all the P4/ddr chipsets...i dunno...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
May 20, 2002 10:43:55 PM

check it out...<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1624" target="_new">anandtech</A> has the 845G/E with the P4X333 and sis645dx chipsets all in one review...neat...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
May 20, 2002 11:05:21 PM

Does anyone actually care about Via's P4 chipsets?
Anyone?

*crickets chirping*

Oh well

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 20, 2002 11:18:35 PM

If it performs well, I will care about anyone's chipsets.

:lol:  <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol: 
May 20, 2002 11:18:42 PM

If it performs well, I will care about anyone's chipsets.

May 20, 2002 11:25:43 PM

The problem is, it doesn't really. Too bad, Via had potential, and I like their "screw you" attitude towards Intel :smile:

May 21, 2002 6:14:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i845G doesn't offically support DDR333.

Also, i845G doesn't support AGP 8x, and ATA133. Not to mention the i845G "extreme graphics" are quite extremely crappy.

Sorry, but the VIA P4X333 still looks pretty good to me.
May 21, 2002 6:21:09 PM

So what? The 850E doesn't officially support PC1066 RDRAM, and yet most hardware sites use it in their reviews!

What graphics cards support AGP8X? For that matter, what hard drives work in ATA133 mode? As far as I know, neither improve performance by any great degree.

I don't think the graphics are too important. The only people who would use it are OEMs, and they'd probably use the 845GL.
May 21, 2002 6:59:25 PM

Quote:
What graphics cards support AGP8X?

sis' sabre (i think thats what you call it...i know sis has one though) supports 8x agp...
Quote:
For that matter, what hard drives work in ATA133 mode

maxtor's diamondmax plus HDs do...at least the new ones...they are apparently replacing their ata100 HDs with the new ata133 drives.
Quote:
As far as I know, neither improve performance by any great degree

i agree...
anyways...i was just answering the questions you had.

May 21, 2002 8:39:44 PM

Olfin,

You can't compare two chipsets and ignore the fact that one supports hardware such as AGP 8x and ATA133 and the other does not, even if that hardware is not currently readily available. The fact is, hardware with AGP 8x and ATA133 will soon be available, some is now, and people with i845G will miss out; but I’m sure Intel will ‘conveniently’ release another chipset to exploit the people who are shortsighted.

Supported hardware and upgradeability is very important.
May 21, 2002 8:46:50 PM

The point is that neither 8x AGP or ATA133 offer any performance gain, so there is no reason to want those.

May 21, 2002 10:27:28 PM

Why can't there be a chipset that has future compatability and bleeding edge features (AGP 8x, ATA 133, USB 2.0), and also perform extremely well. I guess there will never be a "dream" chipset.

May 21, 2002 10:43:27 PM

ATA133 support can be offered by integrating an IDE-RAID chip on the motherboard. Considering the advantages this gives you over plain ATA133 support (up to 8 IDE devices, data security, performance, etc.), I think this is a better solution than just adding ATA133 support to ICH4.
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2002 4:46:41 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but the VIA P4X333 still looks pretty good to me.

It wouldn't if you had any LONG TERM experience with the company.
Quote:
You can't compare two chipsets and ignore the fact that one supports hardware such as AGP 8x and ATA133 and the other does not, even if that hardware is not currently readily available. The fact is, hardware with AGP 8x and ATA133 will soon be available, some is now, and people with i845G will miss out; but I’m sure Intel will ‘conveniently’ release another chipset to exploit the people who are shortsighted.

And what planet is this? The most modern cards in the industry can't even tap AGP4x performance, using less than 3x AGP1x bandwidth. By the time you need AGP8x, you'll already be replacing the system! And drives are running at a max continuous transfer of around 45MB/s, you'll be pushing daisies before UDMA133 is needed.
So the only short sited thing about the i845G is the fact that future boards in a couple months will make it look slow. The real performance is still on the i850.

a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2002 4:50:01 AM

Quote:
The problem is, it doesn't really. Too bad, Via had potential, and I like their "screw you" attitude towards Intel

Yes, and their screw you attitude toward their end users, and even their corportate buyers (motherboard manufacturers). Great company!

May 22, 2002 5:06:06 AM

i really like my new kt333 just outta intrest.

seems though for the p4 that via has dropped the ball... consistently lower scores.

would have liked to have seen ata133 on intel though.

and yes... tooo many bits and pieces missing from the review.

im still waiting for the barebones comparison between p4 wilty, p4 willie & p4 northie.

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!
May 22, 2002 4:28:05 PM

Forget it Crash, you're too closed-minded. I'm not going to try and reason with you any more.

May 22, 2002 7:18:42 PM

Crashman,

Maybe you replace your motherboard every 3 months, but the majority of people do a major upgrade(motherboard/cpu/ram) every 24-30 months or more; and they do graphics card and hard drive upgrades every 12-14 months. Maybe for YOU 8x and ATA133 are not important because you shell out the bucks for the latest and greatest every 3 months. But as a chipset offered to the MASSES, and not just ONE person, the P4X333 has more features and offers better upgradeability.
May 22, 2002 7:20:56 PM

I completely disagree (and Crash doesn't upgrade often).

AGP 8x and ATA133 are simply not needed for a while to come.

May 22, 2002 8:54:00 PM

How bout just admitting the fact that 8x and ATA133 are there is better than not having it at all? Especially since AGP 8x and ATA133 will be standards for some time to come(even if you disagree on their usefulness).

Having the choice to use that hardware in the future is better than having no choice at all.

Sheesh, its like pulling teeth!
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2002 9:11:38 PM

How long ago was it when VIA extorted companies into not using the 735?

a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2002 9:13:18 PM

How about admitting that AGP8x and UDMA133 will do nothing for system performance for 2 to 3 years?

May 22, 2002 10:21:20 PM

If they'll give me ATA133 and AGP 8x for free, then I'll take it. I don't see that being offered.

!