DVD-RW vs. CD-RW

Hello,

My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I bought
blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into. However it is not working. Do I
have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?. I was
told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the music my
hard drive to burn CD's.

Thanks
Ralph
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Ralph wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I bought
    > blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into.

    Could you clarify what you are trying to do. Are you trying to copy an
    (or multiple) audio CD(s) to a blank DVD±R/RW and use the DVD±R/RW on a
    DVD player? If you are trying to copy an audio CD to a new disc that
    can be played on virtuall all CD players, you should use a regular CD-R,
    not a DVD±R/RW nor a CD-RW. If you're trying to create an MP3 (or some
    other compressed format, like WMA) CD or DVD, then this can work but the
    player must support both the media (eg. some DVD players support DVD-R
    not DVD+R, etc.) and the format (MP3 is frequently, but not always
    supported).

    > However it is not working.

    What do you mean by not working? Is anything being written to the disk?
    Is the disk not working on the player you're trying to use it with
    (may be related to incompatible media that I mentioned above)?

    > Do I have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?.

    Nope, a blank CD-R is a much better, cheaper choice. CD-RW's may work,
    but not all players can read them. Honestly, the cost of media is so
    low (I got a 50 pack of name brand CD-R's at Circuit City a month ago),
    that I rarely use CD-RW's except when I need to move data to a
    non-networked computer.

    > I was told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the music my
    > hard drive to burn CD's.

    What you are trying to do is copy a CD "on the fly"; yes, this is
    possible. You can have the original CD in one drive, and the blank in
    the recorder and copy straight to the disk (I generally don't like to do
    this, but it will work). I'm not sure what software you're using, but
    my personal favorite CD/DVD burning software is Nero Burning ROM by
    Ahead Software; many posters here agree with this.

    > Thanks
    > Ralph

    Good luck,
    ~Nick

    > My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I bought
    > blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into. However it is not working. Do I
    > have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?. I was
    > told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the music my
    > hard drive to burn CD's.

    What software are you using ?

    Are the discs "protected" (AKA not actually conforming to the official
    CD standard, and shouldn`t be sold as a CD)

    As for burning from CD to DVD - why ?

    --
    Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
    **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Ralph wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I bought
    >> blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into.
    >

    > Could you clarify what you are trying to do. Are you trying to copy an
    > (or multiple) audio CD(s) to a blank DVD±R/RW and use the DVD±R/RW on a
    > DVD player? If you are trying to copy an audio CD to a new disc that
    > can be played on virtuall all CD players, you should use a regular CD-R,
    > not a DVD±R/RW nor a CD-RW. If you're trying to create an MP3 (or some
    > other compressed format, like WMA) CD or DVD, then this can work but the
    > player must support both the media (eg. some DVD players support DVD-R
    > not DVD+R, etc.) and the format (MP3 is frequently, but not always
    > supported).
    >
    >> However it is not working.
    >

    > What do you mean by not working? Is anything being written to the disk?
    > Is the disk not working on the player you're trying to use it with (may
    > be related to incompatible media that I mentioned above)?
    >
    >> Do I have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?.
    >

    > Nope, a blank CD-R is a much better, cheaper choice. CD-RW's may work,
    > but not all players can read them. Honestly, the cost of media is so
    > low (I got a 50 pack of name brand CD-R's at Circuit City a month ago),
    > that I rarely use CD-RW's except when I need to move data to a
    > non-networked computer.
    >
    >> I was told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the
    >> music my hard drive to burn CD's.
    >>
    > What you are trying to do is copy a CD "on the fly"; yes, this is
    > possible. You can have the original CD in one drive, and the blank in
    > the recorder and copy straight to the disk (I generally don't like to do
    > this, but it will work). I'm not sure what software you're using, but
    > my personal favorite CD/DVD burning software is Nero Burning ROM by
    > Ahead Software; many posters here agree with this.
    >
    >> Thanks
    >> Ralph
    >

    > Good luck,
    > ~Nick
    Thanks for your help. I was trying to copy "on the fly" to my blank
    DVD-RW media from my audio CD via the computer dual drive. So I guess I
    should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible
    for copying from a CD? I plan to be playing the copy in the CD player in
    my stereo. One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD
    has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD
    media and not take advantage of the extra storage. Of course I can still
    back up data on to the blank DVD media.

    Ralph

    > Thanks for your help. I was trying to copy "on the fly" to my blank
    > DVD-RW media from my audio CD via the computer dual drive. So I guess I
    > should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible
    > for copying from a CD? I plan to be playing the copy in the CD player in
    > my stereo. One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD
    > has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD
    > media and not take advantage of the extra storage. Of course I can still
    > back up data on to the blank DVD media.
    >
    > Ralph

    Ummmm...a CD player plays cd's, not dvd's. So why are you attempting to burn to
    a DVD in the first place? Make sure your stereo's cd player will play cd-r
    and/or cdrw before going through any copying procedure.

    Bob T.

    Ralph wrote:
    > Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    >
    >> Ralph wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I
    >>> bought blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into.
    >>

    >> Could you clarify what you are trying to do. Are you trying to copy
    >> an (or multiple) audio CD(s) to a blank DVD±R/RW and use the DVD±R/RW
    >> on a DVD player? If you are trying to copy an audio CD to a new disc
    >> that can be played on virtuall all CD players, you should use a
    >> regular CD-R, not a DVD±R/RW nor a CD-RW. If you're trying to create
    >> an MP3 (or some other compressed format, like WMA) CD or DVD, then
    >> this can work but the player must support both the media (eg. some DVD
    >> players support DVD-R not DVD+R, etc.) and the format (MP3 is
    >> frequently, but not always supported).
    >>
    >>> However it is not working.
    >>

    >> What do you mean by not working? Is anything being written to the
    >> disk? Is the disk not working on the player you're trying to use it
    >> with (may be related to incompatible media that I mentioned above)?
    >>
    >>> Do I have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?.
    >>

    >> Nope, a blank CD-R is a much better, cheaper choice. CD-RW's may
    >> work, but not all players can read them. Honestly, the cost of media
    >> is so low (I got a 50 pack of name brand CD-R's at Circuit City a
    >> month ago), that I rarely use CD-RW's except when I need to move data
    >> to a non-networked computer.
    >>
    >>> I was told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the
    >>> music my hard drive to burn CD's.
    >>>
    >> What you are trying to do is copy a CD "on the fly"; yes, this is
    >> possible. You can have the original CD in one drive, and the blank in
    >> the recorder and copy straight to the disk (I generally don't like to
    >> do this, but it will work). I'm not sure what software you're using,
    >> but my personal favorite CD/DVD burning software is Nero Burning ROM
    >> by Ahead Software; many posters here agree with this.
    >>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ralph
    >>

    >> Good luck,
    >> ~Nick
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I was trying to copy "on the fly" to my blank
    > DVD-RW media from my audio CD via the computer dual drive. So I guess I
    > should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible
    > for copying from a CD? I plan to be playing the copy in the CD player in
    > my stereo. One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD
    > has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD
    > media and not take advantage of the extra storage. Of course I can still
    > back up data on to the blank DVD media.
    >
    > Ralph
    I should add the burning software that came with my computer is Music
    Jukebox. It also came with Sonic.

    Ralph

    Ralph wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My Dell Dimension 9100 computer came with dual DVD Drives, so I bought
    > blank DVD media to burn audio CD's into. However it is not working. Do I
    > have to get blank CD-RW to burn my audio CD's via the dual drive?. I was
    > told by getting dual drives I could bypass loading into the music my
    > hard drive to burn CD's.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ralph

    The general reason for having dual drives is to do disc copying.
    This normally means copying direct from one cdrom to another CD-R
    or CD-RW (or DVD to DVD) without having to transfer material to
    the hard drive. However, should one elect to copy material to a
    different type of media, then the original material has to be
    burned to it. That is, from cdrom to hard drive and then via a
    burning application to the new media, e.g., cdrom to HD to DVD+R.

    For using DVD media to playback music, one must verify that it
    will actually work with the playback device designed for audio
    CD's, MP3's, etc., ...standard caveat. DVD is ideal for holding
    a compilation, for example of *.wav music files, perhaps 8 hours
    worth on a single layer DVD+R, for playback through Media Player,
    for example.

    BT wrote:
    >>Thanks for your help. I was trying to copy "on the fly" to my blank
    >>DVD-RW media from my audio CD via the computer dual drive. So I guess I
    >>should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible
    >>for copying from a CD? I plan to be playing the copy in the CD player in
    >>my stereo. One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD
    >>has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD
    >>media and not take advantage of the extra storage. Of course I can still
    >>back up data on to the blank DVD media.
    >>
    >>Ralph
    >

    > Ummmm...a CD player plays cd's, not dvd's. So why are you attempting to burn to
    > a DVD in the first place? Make sure your stereo's cd player will play cd-r
    > and/or cdrw before going through any copying procedure.
    >
    > Bob T.

    Actuallt the dual DVD Drives in the Dell computer plays both DVD's and
    CD's. The question is if an audio *CD* can be copied to a blank DVD-R or
    DVD-RW, on this dual drive, or is only a blank CD-R or RW capable of
    having an audio CD being burned on.

    Ralph

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:00:54 GMT, Ralph <NoSpam@semqkz.net> wrote:

    >BT wrote:
    >>>Thanks for your help. I was trying to copy "on the fly" to my blank
    >>>DVD-RW media from my audio CD via the computer dual drive. So I guess I
    >>>should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible
    >>>for copying from a CD? I plan to be playing the copy in the CD player in
    >>>my stereo. One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD
    >>>has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD
    >>>media and not take advantage of the extra storage. Of course I can still
    >>>back up data on to the blank DVD media.
    >>>
    >>>Ralph
    >>

    >> Ummmm...a CD player plays cd's, not dvd's. So why are you attempting to burn to
    >> a DVD in the first place? Make sure your stereo's cd player will play cd-r
    >> and/or cdrw before going through any copying procedure.
    >>
    >> Bob T.
    >>

    >Actuallt the dual DVD Drives in the Dell computer plays both DVD's and
    >CD's. The question is if an audio *CD* can be copied to a blank DVD-R or
    >DVD-RW, on this dual drive, or is only a blank CD-R or RW capable of
    >having an audio CD being burned on.
    >
    >Ralph

    Now I see what you mean! OK, the name Audio CD pretty much says it
    all. So in order to copy the sound from the Audio CD to the DVD you
    need to use another format than Audio CD. You can use the 16-bit 44100
    MHz PCM wave-files that you can extract from the Audio CD and put on
    the DVD. Back draw is that you can only play this in a computer.
    Better is to convert to mp3- or wma-files as you at least are able to
    play this in most DVD-players. If you keep quality at least at 192
    kbit/s you will get decent sound and you will fit 50+ CDs on one DVD.
    If you don't want to fiddle around, get some CD-R's!

    GW

Dell Burner CD-Rom Computers