Sign in with
Your question

New system... how well would it run BF2?

Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2006 5:43:43 PM

CASE: Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window
POWERSUPPLY: Aspire SuperAlien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
CD2: 16X DVD ROM
FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
MOUSE: Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse
MOTHERBOARD: EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
SOUND: Creative Labs SB AUDIGY 4 SE
TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER

To clear things up for people just now looking at this thread... I know the PSU sucks now. This post is not to brag about my new system, I'm honestly curious how well it will play BF2, and yes, I know it will play BF2.

More about : system run bf2

May 30, 2006 9:46:25 PM

That's a great set up for BF2. With it you should be able to play games at high resolution and high quality settings. Cool. :D 
Related resources
May 31, 2006 5:18:21 AM

2.0ghz will bottleneck your vga. You need 2.4ghz at least for those high end cards without bottlenecking. Overclock or ditch dual core and get the singlecore 38+. You won't be getting any fps benefits from dual core for a year anyways (most likely).You should throw away your psu right now, it probably wont last very long if you OC. WTF you doing witha sub par psu in a high end system? Common sense man, common sense :D  Get something from OCZ, antec, thermaltake, FSP group, sparkle, and enermax. If your rich, get PC Power and Cooling. Raidmax shouldn't be relied upon for a high end gaming rig.

Everything else looks great, except for the monstous g15 keyboard, get a game pad for Christs sake (cyber snipa, nostromo n52) Have fun with 100fps constant on everymap..
May 31, 2006 8:27:42 AM

Why didn't you just say:

"Here's my new rig, aren't I super cool" because if you didn't know that would run BF2 you're a dumbass.
May 31, 2006 9:41:02 AM

LOL very much agreed. You can run bf2 on my old 5600 nvidia. God it only seems not that long ago when that card was beast
May 31, 2006 10:07:43 AM

Heh. I remember having a PIII 933 (in the days when 1ghz barrier was only just broken) coupled with a geforce2.... sugar, memory blank..... whatever the top of the line Geforce2 was and I had 128mb of ram. Now that was a machine :) 

Funny how things change.
May 31, 2006 11:15:15 AM

A nice system (but you already knew that, methinks), but a couple of points...

That power supply. 8O Why? WHY? That lovely CPU, that beast of a graphics card, 2Gb of nice RAM... why risk it with anything but a top-brand PSU?

2 DVD drives? Unless you're planning on being n0rty, it seems a little like overkill! 1 drive is enough for me. DVD writers are cheap enough these days that you don't really need a seperate ROM drive in order to save wear on the expensive writer. Besides, by the time it packs up they'll probably be better kit on the market (blu-ray?)

Water-cooling. Your choice I guess, but if you're not overclocking then it seems a bit OTT. You could have got a decent air-cooled heatsink and fan, and put the saved $s into a better PSU.

Anyway, this is all academic, since you bought the rig BEFORE posting... :roll:
May 31, 2006 3:13:49 PM

Quote:

No, I actually posted before about this new system but changed a few things. Now I'm getting eaten alive by people saying I'm just bragging about my new system even though some of you are finding flaws. Now that doesn't make much sense.

Honestly, I didn't know for sure how well it would run BF2, I mean I know it will run it, but not sure how well. I bought a new rig 3 years ago for Planetside, then after about a month or two I started to get a huge FPS drop and lag like no other. This also happened with Dawn of War.

Quote:
Why didn't you just say:

"Here's my new rig, aren't I super cool" because if you didn't know that would run BF2 you're a dumbass.

Notice how I said, "how well would it run BF2?". Of course I know it will run it.

So shoot me if I don't know every damn thing about computers. I don't remember the PSU being a big problem when I posted my machine before I bought it.
May 31, 2006 4:44:46 PM

Quote:
I bought a new rig 3 years ago for Planetside, then after about a month or two I started to get a huge FPS drop and lag like no other.

Sounds like a seriously fragged harddrive or malware.
May 31, 2006 4:57:11 PM

Quote:

No, I actually posted before about this new system but changed a few things. Now I'm getting eaten alive by people saying I'm just bragging about my new system even though some of you are finding flaws. Now that doesn't make much sense.

Hmm, I'm pretty certain your post actually said "I've just bought this rig, will it play BF2?". I can't check, of course, since you have edited your previous post out of existance. Cheers.

And so far, only one person (Wolfy) has actually accused you of bragging, so technically that's a "person", not "people". Besdies, Wolfy is just like that - I'd be worried about him if he said anything that wasn't sarcastic :wink:
May 31, 2006 5:48:32 PM

Actually, the name of the subject of the thread was, "New system... how well would it run BF2?". You can see that when you are replying on the subject bar.

Wolfy was the only person accusing me, but others agreed.

The post was edited because I'm getting shit slung at me when it was a good natured post.
May 31, 2006 6:02:45 PM

Quote:
Actually, the name of the subject of the thread was, "New system... how well would it run BF2?". You can see that when you are replying on the subject bar.

Not if you change the title of the thread to ".".

Quote:

One other agreed. Don't exaggerate.

Quote:
The post was edited because I'm getting shit slung at me when it was a good natured post.

Exaggeration again. This "sh*t slinging" consists of one sarcastic post and a "lol". Are you really that sensitive?

In any case, you could have simply replied to Wolfy and calmly explained yourself. Your initial post was easy to miscontrue (myself being an example) as meaning that you'd already bought the system - and in those circumstances Wolfy's comments would be fair (if a little on the harsh side).
It's bad form to delete or heavily edit your initial post but not delete the thread. It means you can make any claim you like about the original content, which is unfair to posters who have responded to it.
May 31, 2006 6:13:00 PM

Quote:

Not if you change the title of the thread to ".".

Quote:

One other agreed. Don't exaggerate.

Quote:

Exaggeration again. This "sh*t slinging" consists of one sarcastic post and a "lol". Are you really that sensitive?

In any case, you could have simply replied to Wolfy and calmly explained yourself. Your initial post was easy to miscontrue (myself being an example) as meaning that you'd already bought the system - and in those circumstances Wolfy's comments would be fair (if a little on the harsh side).
It's bad form to delete or heavily edit your initial post but not delete the thread. It means you can make any claim you like about the original content, which is unfair to posters who have responded to it.
Understandable. I think I pretty calmly explained myself but if you don't think so whatever. Wolfy's post didn't seem to sarcastic but I guess I'm too new here to tell the difference. Sorry for whatever misunderstanding happened here.
June 1, 2006 8:22:10 AM

Woohoo. Loving this thread. Nothing like some animosity to get the day going.

Your machine will play BF2 extremely well Cannon, you know that. If you don't know that why did you spend so much money on the system when you weren't sure how well it would run your game?

As for your last system sounds like you bjorked it with spyware or a virus. Pc's don't play games well then just suffer a performance hit for no reason.

Anyway. Back to the name calling and apparent shit slinging.
June 2, 2006 12:42:14 PM

Good rig.. but I would have gone for an x1800XT 512MB instead.

BF2 seems to like more memory.. also it's a game that runs VERY well on ATi boards with Adaptive AA and High Quality AF.
!