Dell Notebook C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.

We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0 HDD,W2K
Pro, that displays the following error message after attempting to boot:
Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.

Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem, eg is a
controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring in their C400
notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in the other notebook
we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is desparate to recover a file
from the drive. Any recommendations for a data recovery service?

Thanks,
Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cQyZe.2538$211.68@trnddc08:

> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>
> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0
> HDD,W2K Pro, that displays the following error message after
> attempting to boot:
> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>
> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem,
> eg is a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring
> in their C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in
> the other notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is
> desparate to recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a
> data recovery service?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I've seen a number of IBM Travelstars that do this (Not a TREMENDOUS
number, but more than there ought to be). In most cases, there's nothing
really wrong with the drive but the laptop just doesn't see it. Happens
on IBM thinkpads too. I've used several solutions, depending on the
exact circumstance:

1) Disconnect the power, pull out the main battery AND the backup
battery, let it sit for a couple hours (or overnight), then put it all
back together. This has particularly worked for me on CPx models.

2) Get a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" adapter (available from CompUsa, etc.) and
install it as a second drive in a desktop. Then you can either use the
desktop to read your critical data files, or do further testing such as
#3, #4, and #5

3) Download the "Drive Feature Tool" from Hitachi (Who now owns the IBM
travelstar line), and verify that the ATA speed hasn't somehow gotten
set to a speed the C600 can't handle.

4) Download the "Drive Fitness Test" from Hitachi, and do a 'Quick
Test" to verify that the drive itself is physically good.

5) There is a Data Recovery tool built into the Drive Fitness Test, in
case there really IS a problem with the drive. For me, it has worked
maybe 75% of the time, recovering the drive for at least long enough to
boot and save critical data. If you have to go this far, consider it a
temporary fix, just long ebough to grab the data, and then discard the
drive afterwards.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, any reasonably
competent PC Shop should be able to do it. I doubt you'd really need a
specialized "Data Recovery Service".

(Or if you're in the Portland Oregon area, I can do it)

- FM -

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

hello Mike,

my sugestion would be:

http://www.aurora.se/dell-data-recovery.htm

Aurora Data Recovery is recomended by Dell themselves, have just over
20 years in the advanced data recovery and data reconstruction business
and ( as you can see by the date ) Aurora have a 7 days a week service
for urgent cases.

Beware of ANY companies using terms such as "Guaranteed Cheapest",
using post boxes or mobile telephone numbers. Be equally cautious of
ANY pay in advance schemes.

As you can probably guess i work for the above company, and hope that
we can assist you and your client. I suggest that you take a look at
our site:

http://www.aurora.se

And then either sent an email or give us a call.

Tony

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Fred Mau <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in

> 2) Get a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" adapter (available from CompUsa, etc.) and
> install it as a second drive in a desktop. Then you can either use the
> desktop to read your critical data files, or do further testing such

Oh, one more option would be to try to read it from an external USB
enclosure from a known good machine. sometimes the firmware in the USB
enclosure will recognize the travelstars when the laptop itself won't.

This may work for merely reading the data and copying it. But I don't think
you can use the DFT utilities I mentioned via USB.

- FM -

lots of dubious charaters in the data reovery business, and lots of
middlemen.
i can recomend without hesitation this organization that has been in
business for 20 years...
http://datasavers.com/

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>
> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0 HDD,W2K
> Pro, that displays the following error message after attempting to boot:
> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>
> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem, eg is
> a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring in their
> C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in the other
> notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is desparate to
> recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a data recovery
> service?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for the very useful information.
Tomorrow, I'm going to try it in an identical C400 notebook.
If that doesn;t work I'll pick up a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2 adzpter from CompUSA.

Mike

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cQyZe.2538$211.68@trnddc08:
>
>> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
>> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>>
>> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0
>> HDD,W2K Pro, that displays the following error message after
>> attempting to boot:
>> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>>
>> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem,
>> eg is a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring
>> in their C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in
>> the other notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is
>> desparate to recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a
>> data recovery service?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> I've seen a number of IBM Travelstars that do this (Not a TREMENDOUS
> number, but more than there ought to be). In most cases, there's nothing
> really wrong with the drive but the laptop just doesn't see it. Happens
> on IBM thinkpads too. I've used several solutions, depending on the
> exact circumstance:
>
> 1) Disconnect the power, pull out the main battery AND the backup
> battery, let it sit for a couple hours (or overnight), then put it all
> back together. This has particularly worked for me on CPx models.
>

> 2) Get a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" adapter (available from CompUsa, etc.) and
> install it as a second drive in a desktop. Then you can either use the
> desktop to read your critical data files, or do further testing such as
> #3, #4, and #5
>

> 3) Download the "Drive Feature Tool" from Hitachi (Who now owns the IBM
> travelstar line), and verify that the ATA speed hasn't somehow gotten
> set to a speed the C600 can't handle.
>
> 4) Download the "Drive Fitness Test" from Hitachi, and do a 'Quick
> Test" to verify that the drive itself is physically good.
>
> 5) There is a Data Recovery tool built into the Drive Fitness Test, in
> case there really IS a problem with the drive. For me, it has worked
> maybe 75% of the time, recovering the drive for at least long enough to
> boot and save critical data. If you have to go this far, consider it a
> temporary fix, just long ebough to grab the data, and then discard the
> drive afterwards.
>

> If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, any reasonably
> competent PC Shop should be able to do it. I doubt you'd really need a
> specialized "Data Recovery Service".
>
> (Or if you're in the Portland Oregon area, I can do it)
>
> - FM -

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Where can I get an external enclosure for the drive?

> Fred Mau <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> 2) Get a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" adapter (available from CompUsa, etc.) and
>> install it as a second drive in a desktop. Then you can either use the
>> desktop to read your critical data files, or do further testing such
>

> Oh, one more option would be to try to read it from an external USB
> enclosure from a known good machine. sometimes the firmware in the USB
> enclosure will recognize the travelstars when the laptop itself won't.
>
> This may work for merely reading the data and copying it. But I don't
> think
> you can use the DFT utilities I mentioned via USB.
>
> - FM -

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yesterday I call several data recovery companies and only one... one. . .
answered to phone. aurora.se didnot answer the phone or at least
the company recommeded by Dell tech support and dell website didn't answer
the phone. Will call them again tomorrow if needed.

Mike

"aurora_forensics" <google@aurora.se> wrote in message
> hello Mike,
>
> my sugestion would be:
>
> http://www.aurora.se/dell-data-recovery.htm
>
> Aurora Data Recovery is recomended by Dell themselves, have just over
> 20 years in the advanced data recovery and data reconstruction business
> and ( as you can see by the date ) Aurora have a 7 days a week service
> for urgent cases.
>
> Beware of ANY companies using terms such as "Guaranteed Cheapest",
> using post boxes or mobile telephone numbers. Be equally cautious of
> ANY pay in advance schemes.
>
> As you can probably guess i work for the above company, and hope that
> we can assist you and your client. I suggest that you take a look at
> our site:
>
> http://www.aurora.se
>
> And then either sent an email or give us a call.
>
> Tony

Mike

Splendid

I'll call them tomorrow if needed.

Mike

> lots of dubious charaters in the data reovery business, and lots of
> middlemen.
> i can recomend without hesitation this organization that has been in
> business for 20 years...
> http://datasavers.com/
>
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
>> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>>
>> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0 HDD,W2K
>> Pro, that displays the following error message after attempting to boot:
>> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>>
>> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem, eg
>> is
>> a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring in their
>> C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in the other
>> notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is desparate to
>> recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a data recovery
>> service?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

BIOS is vA06 ver A12 is on the Dell web site. There is a FD option to
upgrade BIOS is it worth while installing BIOS update?

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>
> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0 HDD,W2K
> Pro, that displays the following error message after attempting to boot:
> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>
> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem, eg is
> a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring in their
> C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in the other
> notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is desparate to
> recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a data recovery
> service?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

don't make any changes get the 3 1/2 to notebook adapter and try that
if you can get the data off do it quickly and do not try to keep using
the drive. I had a HD that had failed I tried using a USB to notebook
adapter and diagnostic did not work I plugged it into my computer and
it worked fine

Using winternals software I was able to pull off most of the files.
The drive failed the diagnostic test with too many bad sectors.

http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak/

i have used this software at work quite often and had good luck with
them. once you get your data recovered. Pick up a Maxtor one touch or
other USB based hard drive and do back ups on a regular basis

Wayne

"wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> don't make any changes get the 3 1/2 to notebook adapter and try that
> if you can get the data off do it quickly and do not try to keep using
> the drive. I had a HD that had failed I tried using a USB to notebook
> adapter and diagnostic did not work I plugged it into my computer and
> it worked fine
>
> Using winternals software I was able to pull off most of the files.
> The drive failed the diagnostic test with too many bad sectors.
>
> http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak/
>
> i have used this software at work quite often and had good luck with
> them. once you get your data recovered. Pick up a Maxtor one touch or
> other USB based hard drive and do back ups on a regular basis
>
> Wayne

I'll use the winternals tools if I can access data on the drive. Will try
to get an 3 1/2 adapter tomorrow.

Mike

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cQyZe.2538$211.68@trnddc08:
>
>> C400 Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
>> BIOS vA06 displays Primary HArd Drive: as none.
>>
>> We have a Latitude C400, IBM Travelstar model - ic25n020atcs04-0
>> HDD,W2K Pro, that displays the following error message after
>> attempting to boot:
>> Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.
>>
>> Is there anything short of replacing the HDD to isolate the problem,
>> eg is a controller, hdd servo, etc. Tomorrow someone is going to bring
>> in their C400 notebook. If I can't get the unbootable HDD to boot in
>> the other notebook we'll need a data recovery service. The owner is
>> desparate to recover a file from the drive. Any recommendations for a
>> data recovery service?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> I've seen a number of IBM Travelstars that do this (Not a TREMENDOUS
> number, but more than there ought to be). In most cases, there's nothing
> really wrong with the drive but the laptop just doesn't see it. Happens
> on IBM thinkpads too. I've used several solutions, depending on the
> exact circumstance:
>
> 1) Disconnect the power, pull out the main battery AND the backup
> battery, let it sit for a couple hours (or overnight), then put it all
> back together. This has particularly worked for me on CPx models.
>

> 2) Get a 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" adapter (available from CompUsa, etc.) and
> install it as a second drive in a desktop. Then you can either use the
> desktop to read your critical data files, or do further testing such as
> #3, #4, and #5
>

> 3) Download the "Drive Feature Tool" from Hitachi (Who now owns the IBM
> travelstar line), and verify that the ATA speed hasn't somehow gotten
> set to a speed the C600 can't handle.
>
> 4) Download the "Drive Fitness Test" from Hitachi, and do a 'Quick
> Test" to verify that the drive itself is physically good.
>
> 5) There is a Data Recovery tool built into the Drive Fitness Test, in
> case there really IS a problem with the drive. For me, it has worked
> maybe 75% of the time, recovering the drive for at least long enough to
> boot and save critical data. If you have to go this far, consider it a
> temporary fix, just long ebough to grab the data, and then discard the
> drive afterwards.
>

> If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, any reasonably
> competent PC Shop should be able to do it. I doubt you'd really need a
> specialized "Data Recovery Service".
>
> (Or if you're in the Portland Oregon area, I can do it)
>
> - FM -

Today, I went to CompUSA to pick up a 2.5" IDE external drive bay and an
external 2.5" USB enclosure.
While in the store I talked to the techs who tried to access the drive from
three different devices w/o success.
CompUSA didnot have a IDE 2.5" external drive bay. They did have a IDE
adapter for a 2.5" HDD.
It's a generic piece. Should I continue looking for a 2.5" IDE external
drive bay ? How should I attempt to read the drive -
insert it into the bay after the PC has already booted? Same with the
external 2.5 bay?

> Today, I went to CompUSA to pick up a 2.5" IDE external drive bay and an
> external 2.5" USB enclosure.
> While in the store I talked to the techs who tried to access the drive
> from three different devices w/o success.
> CompUSA didnot have a IDE 2.5" external drive bay. They did have a IDE
> adapter for a 2.5" HDD.
> It's a generic piece. Should I continue looking for a 2.5" IDE external
> drive bay ? How should I attempt to read the drive -
> insert it into the bay after the PC has already booted? Same with the
> external 2.5 bay?
>
> Mike

Reply with make/model or part number for IDE 2.5" drive bay will be helpful.
Should I post these messages in another group?
Thanks,

Mike

iiiears

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Your disk maybe broken but here are some things to try.
1. Place the drive into an external USB enclosure and plug the cable into a second PC.
2. Download a linux iso image Ubuntu will do fine. and burn it to CD/DVD as a
boot-able IMAGE file not a data file.
3. Install testdisk and at the command line type
4. Install Testdisk and type: man testdisk at the command line
5. Install ddrescues and at the command line type: man ddrescue at the command line.
6. Visit Gibson Research Corporation site and purchase SpinRite.
7. Visit OnTrack Data Recovery site, Pricey but worth every penny for irreplaceable photos etc.
If you enjoy the power of an open source operating system keep using it
Cheers,