I need to delete XP

kat

I'm stupid and didn't realize I couldn't install XP on more than one computer. I now have a new desktop, old deskopt and laptop running on XP, however the old desktop and laptop are going to expire soon. How do I get rid of XP on both of those computers? I tried to reinstall Windows 98 on the old desktop, but it said I had to go into Dos...however, when I push F5 it only gives me the XP option, if I push F8...I see no DOS option. And then on the laptop, it lets me choose between Windows 2000 and XP, so how do I get rid of it XP on that? I just want to be able to use my computers!

Kat wrote:
> I'm stupid and didn't realize I couldn't install XP on more than one
> computer. I now have a new desktop, old desktop and laptop running on
> XP, however the old desktop and laptop are going to expire soon. How
> do I get rid of XP on both of those computers? I tried to reinstall
> Windows 98 on the old desktop, but it said I had to go into
> Dos...however, when I push F5 it only gives me the XP option, if I
> push F8...I see no DOS option. And then on the laptop, it lets me
> choose between Windows 2000 and XP, so how do I get rid of it XP on
> that? I just want to be able to use my computers!

Boot with the XP CD, follow through like you are installing until the part
where you choose which partition to install on, then delete all the
partitions. *WARNING* - that erases everything.

Boot with your Windows 98 boot floppy, install like you have done before.

--
<- Shenan ->

Greetings --

How could you possibly not know that the WinXP license you
purchased was for only one computer? Not only is the box plainly
marked, but the EULA which you read and to which you agreed during the
first installation also makes this point very clear.

The normal way to "uninstall" _any_ operating system is to format
the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

However, if you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to
backup the old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS,
then all you need do is boot into Safe Mode and Start > Control Panel
> Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions _must_ be met for the
uninstall option to be available.

Otherwise:

How to Manually Remove Win XP and Restore Win9x
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314052

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Kat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm stupid and didn't realize I couldn't install XP on more than one
> computer. I now have a new desktop, old deskopt and laptop running
> on XP, however the old desktop and laptop are going to expire soon.
> How do I get rid of XP on both of those computers? I tried to
> reinstall Windows 98 on the old desktop, but it said I had to go
> into Dos...however, when I push F5 it only gives me the XP option,
> if I push F8...I see no DOS option. And then on the laptop, it lets
> me choose between Windows 2000 and XP, so how do I get rid of it XP
> on that? I just want to be able to use my computers!

The simple and easy solution is to purchase additional Product Keys,
change to the new Product Key, then activate.

HOW TO: Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP