Dell Inspiron runs hot--normal

I assume it is, but just checking.

When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.

AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.

I have an Inspiron 2200

Mel
14 answers Last reply
More about dell inspiron runs normal

    "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in news:rUFZe.9756$eH2.6201@fe02.lga:

    > I assume it is, but just checking.
    >
    > When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >
    > AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 2200
    >
    > Mel

    Most laptops do run hot on the bottom and especially near the hard drives
    and CPU, 40 to 45c is not unusual (104 to 113F).

    The point to worry is when it gets up around 60c, then you start
    deteriorating the hard drive plus other components.

    - FM -

    How long have you had the system? It is amazing hiow much dust and dirt can
    collect inside the area where the cooling fan is. If you've had the system for
    as little as 6 months, get a can of compressed air and blast air into the
    cooling vents.

    Depending on CPU speed and type, yes, Dell notebooks can run hot. Other brands,
    too... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:13 -0400, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:

    >I assume it is, but just checking.
    >
    >When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >
    >AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >
    >I have an Inspiron 2200
    >
    >Mel

    How do I ascertain the temperature

    MB

    "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
    >I assume it is, but just checking.
    >
    > When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >
    > AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 2200
    >
    > Mel

    Of course it runs hot...it has an Intel processor.

    Bobby

    You might also look at the power-saving options, both in the system BIOS and in
    Windows Control Panel. Saving power also reduces heat.

    The only specs I've been able to find state that the processor is a 1.5GHz.
    Pentium 4, Celeron, mobile Pentium, mobile Celeron??? .... Ben Myers

    > "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
    >>I assume it is, but just checking.
    >>
    >> When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >>
    >> AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >>
    >> I have an Inspiron 2200
    >>
    >> Mel
    >>
    > Of course it runs hot...it has an Intel processor.
    >
    > Bobby

    Thankfully. Wouldn't want one of those AMD that melt when they get hot.

    "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > The point to worry is when it gets up around 60c, then you start
    > deteriorating the hard drive plus other components.

    The Point is: Dell claims a heat of 55° to 60° inside the system
    while working as normal. For my harddrive vendor [in this case a
    Fujitsu-Siemens one] says that it shouldn't be operated in an area
    over 55° and stored in temperatures over 60°. So I assure myself to
    have a warranty longer than one year to prepare to get a new one when
    two-three years are over.

    Ben:

    Wouldn't blasting air into the vents (I assume those are the little holes on
    the right and left side in front) just move the dust around inside??

    Also, how can I tell what the actual operating temperature of my laptop is??

    Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting uncomfortably
    hot. I suspect this is normal?? (but, no problem, my family is already
    completed).

    Mel

    > How long have you had the system? It is amazing hiow much dust and dirt
    > can
    > collect inside the area where the cooling fan is. If you've had the
    > system for
    > as little as 6 months, get a can of compressed air and blast air into the
    > cooling vents.
    >
    > Depending on CPU speed and type, yes, Dell notebooks can run hot. Other
    > brands,
    > too... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:13 -0400, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I assume it is, but just checking.
    >>
    >>When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >>
    >>AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >>
    >>I have an Inspiron 2200
    >>
    >>Mel

    This seems a bit bizarre to me, but it has been noted that due to
    heating issues it is best not to run a laptop on your lap. The same goes
    for lying in bed or operating it on other soft surfaces. These tend to act
    as insulators and cause the system to retain heat.

    KC

    > Ben:
    >
    > Wouldn't blasting air into the vents (I assume those are the little holes
    on
    > the right and left side in front) just move the dust around inside??
    >
    > Also, how can I tell what the actual operating temperature of my laptop
    is??

    > Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting
    uncomfortably
    > hot. I suspect this is normal?? (but, no problem, my family is already
    > completed).
    >
    > Mel
    >

    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > > How long have you had the system? It is amazing hiow much dust and dirt
    > > can
    > > collect inside the area where the cooling fan is. If you've had the
    > > system for
    > > as little as 6 months, get a can of compressed air and blast air into
    the
    > > cooling vents.
    > >
    > > Depending on CPU speed and type, yes, Dell notebooks can run hot. Other
    > > brands,
    > > too... Ben Myers
    > >
    > > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:13 -0400, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I assume it is, but just checking.
    > >>
    > >>When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    > >>
    > >>AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    > >>
    > >>I have an Inspiron 2200
    > >>
    > >>Mel

    Blasting compressed air into the vents pushes the dust and dirt out of the
    inside of the computer... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:01:37 -0400, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:

    >Ben:
    >
    >Wouldn't blasting air into the vents (I assume those are the little holes on
    >the right and left side in front) just move the dust around inside??
    >
    >Also, how can I tell what the actual operating temperature of my laptop is??
    >

    >Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting uncomfortably
    >hot. I suspect this is normal?? (but, no problem, my family is already
    >completed).
    >
    >Mel

    >> How long have you had the system? It is amazing hiow much dust and dirt
    >> can
    >> collect inside the area where the cooling fan is. If you've had the
    >> system for
    >> as little as 6 months, get a can of compressed air and blast air into the
    >> cooling vents.
    >>
    >> Depending on CPU speed and type, yes, Dell notebooks can run hot. Other
    >> brands,
    >> too... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:54:13 -0400, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I assume it is, but just checking.
    >>>
    >>>When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >>>
    >>>AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >>>
    >>>I have an Inspiron 2200
    >>>
    >>>Mel

    Kevin:

    That's very interesting and I'm sure you are correct. When the laptop is on
    my lap or in bed, it definitely gets hotter. I know because the fan comes on
    much more often. On a table or desk, it hardly ever comes on.

    This is a bit annoying. I bought it because I have a degenerative back
    problem and at times I am better off not sitting that long and the basement
    if hard to go up and down. So, I wanted a wireless set-up to use when I am
    somewhat confined upstairs, often lying down.

    Fortunately, a new set of exercises seems to be working well and the back
    problems have diminished greatly, so it is currently a moot point. But it is
    a big difference in heat generated!!!

    Mel
    "Kevin Childers" <kchilder@mail.win.org> wrote in message
    > This seems a bit bizarre to me, but it has been noted that due to
    > heating issues it is best not to run a laptop on your lap. The same goes
    > for lying in bed or operating it on other soft surfaces. These tend to
    > act
    > as insulators and cause the system to retain heat.
    >
    > KC
    >

    > "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
    >> Ben:
    >>
    >> Wouldn't blasting air into the vents (I assume those are the little holes
    > on
    >> the right and left side in front) just move the dust around inside??
    >>
    >> Also, how can I tell what the actual operating temperature of my laptop
    > is??
    >>

    >> Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting
    > uncomfortably
    >> hot. I suspect this is normal?? (but, no problem, my family is already
    >> completed).
    >>
    >> Mel
    >>

    >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> > How long have you had the system? It is amazing hiow much dust and
    >> > dirt
    >> > can
    >> > collect inside the area where the cooling fan is. If you've had the
    >> > system for
    >> > as little as 6 months, get a can of compressed air and blast air into
    > the
    >> > cooling vents.
    >> >
    >> > Depending on CPU speed and type, yes, Dell notebooks can run hot.
    >> > Other
    >> > brands,
    >> > too... Ben Myers

    I know a few folks who like to work from bed etc. They use a breakfast tray
    or one of those hospital style swing arm tables.

    KC

    "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Kevin:
    >
    > That's very interesting and I'm sure you are correct. When the
    > laptop is on my lap or in bed, it definitely gets hotter. I know
    > because the fan comes on much more often. On a table or desk, it
    > hardly ever comes on.
    Well why don't buy a woodden plate and put it under the laptop while
    sitting on bed. I sometimes just use my books- some big photo-album
    seems fine for me :-)

    Kevin Childers wrote:

    > This seems a bit bizarre to me, but it has been noted that due to heating
    > issues it is best not to run a laptop on your lap.

    It maybe seems less bizarre if you consider that the computers you seem to
    call "laptops" are called "notebook computers" by their vendors. I think
    you won't find a single vendor who calls the current notebook-style
    computer a "laptop".

    But then it gets bizarre again when you think about the computers the
    vendors used to call "laptop computers" (remember those bricks ten years
    ago?)... you really didn't /want/ to use those on your lap :)

    Gerhard

Dell Dell Inspiron Inspiron Computers