Still looking for help (Gigabyte GA-7VXRP)

opeth2112

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
I posted this before and didn't receive any feedback so am trying again. It is probably something simple I am missing, and it's driving me crazy. I recently built this machine :

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo
Athlon 2100+
1 GB RAM (2x512 Corsair PC2700 C2)
PNY Verto GF4 TI 4600
2 WD 100GB (Special Edit.)
Lite On CDRW and DVD drives (can't recall speeds)
Soundblaster Audigy
Windows XP
Antec 1040B case (400 watt PS)

Was wondering if anyone could suggest some tweaks for performance gain. Everything is installed right out of the box without any changes, but have updated all drivers. My 3dMark2001 SE scores average around 8100 and I am told they should be alot higher. Not that I am living and dieing by these scores but I am also using this as a learning process. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Opeth2112

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation...we have assumed control.

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have a stunning set-up. It is virtually identical to the one I'm putting together for my Par.

Your performing some 28% below what you should (which is worrying). You should be getting around 11000. There are a few things to consider.

Firstly your motherboard BIOS would probably do with a tweak. Firstly go through the options and make sure they are set to run your set-up correctly. You should be able to enhance it as well. (maybe increase appature size or enhance memory settings). Make sure DRAM clock is set to 166 and CAS latency is 2!

I take it that the hard drives are in a RAID 0 configuration? There are currently some issues with WinXP and RAID (or SCSI) which makes your hard drive perform baddly. I can't say what to do about it but you may be able to search for some information at www.storagereview.com/ (and click on Disscusion/Computer and check out Terrible SCSI performance under XP -its HUGE)

Unfortunately this won't account too much for your poor gaming performance.

Make sure you haven't installed some software that runs in the background (like a virus checker) that consumes performance.

Run some component independent tests like Sisoft that may point to where the performance is going. And also try some other benchmarks. Check out the Motherboard round up on the main site, it will give you an idea as to what you should be getting.

Hope that gets you started!

Regards,
McEwin

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually I'm not entirely sure if your underprefoming that much as I'm thinking of 3DMark 2001 (not the SE version).

Double check with the non-SE version.

regards
McEwin.