Carey's reply to Windows Messenger question below

in Carey's reply to question from "Dick Bonahue" below she gave 2 sites from
Doug Knox for "prevent" and "remove" the icon ... when i try to open the
downloaded sites, i get error message from Norton

"Alert: Malicious script detected
Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
Activity: RegWrite
File: ----------
Action: Stop this script (recommended)"

can i still use the download? was going to use the prevent solution and if
that didn't work, then just remove it...
8 answers Last reply
More about carey reply windows messenger question below

    Lois;
    One thing to add to what Carey and Ramish said.
    Take these warnings very seriously if you see them.
    Installing a bad script can be very bad for you.
    Be extremely suspicious of scripts from unknown sources.

    However in this case, Doug is well known and respected.
    You can install his scripts with confidence that they are safe and
    will work as advertised.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Lois" <msterse@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > in Carey's reply to question from "Dick Bonahue" below she gave 2
    sites from
    > Doug Knox for "prevent" and "remove" the icon ... when i try to open
    the
    > downloaded sites, i get error message from Norton
    >
    > "Alert: Malicious script detected
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: RegWrite
    > File: ----------
    > Action: Stop this script (recommended)"
    >
    > can i still use the download? was going to use the prevent
    solution and if
    > that didn't work, then just remove it...

    You'll need to disable your Norton antivirus before running
    the repair script. Norton flags all scripts as "malicious" and
    indeed Doug Knox does not produce malicious scripts. His
    repair is safe!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Lois" said in news:uNRsvonKEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    > in Carey's reply to question from "Dick Bonahue" below she gave 2
    > sites from Doug Knox for "prevent" and "remove" the icon ... when i
    > try to open the downloaded sites, i get error message from Norton
    >
    > "Alert: Malicious script detected
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: RegWrite
    > File: ----------
    > Action: Stop this script (recommended)"
    >
    > can i still use the download? was going to use the prevent solution
    > and if that didn't work, then just remove it...

    That's because some of the links go to .vbs or .reg files. Rather than
    download them, it tries to execute them. Right-click on the link
    instead and select to save it. Then you can review its contents to see
    if it is what you want. I first ran into this with Kelly's web site.

    *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

    Lois,

    Doug Knox's fixes are 100% trusted and NAV is just informing that a script is being executed (it does not know what the script does). Go ahead and use the VBS to preventWindows Messenger from running. BTW, just have a look at the Hit Counters in Doug's site.

    Prevent Windows Messenger from running:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

    or

    Remove Windows Messenger:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell

    Lois wrote:
    > in Carey's reply to question from "Dick Bonahue" below she gave 2
    > sites from Doug Knox for "prevent" and "remove" the icon ... when i
    > try to open the downloaded sites, i get error message from Norton
    >
    > "Alert: Malicious script detected
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: RegWrite
    > File: ----------
    > Action: Stop this script (recommended)"
    >
    > can i still use the download? was going to use the prevent solution
    > and if that didn't work, then just remove it...

    Unless there's something he's not telling us (is there, Carey?! ;o) <eg>)
    then she is most definitely a he! ;o)

    You've just stumbled on another reason why I hate NAV. Doug is one of the
    most trusted MVPs around - oh and you could have answered your own question
    had you bothered to spend 5 seconds reading!

    At the top, in red (so how you missed it, I've no idea) it states (and I
    quote)..

    " If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is
    normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
    scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry."

    What happens when someone clicks on an e-mail attachment such as this
    example?

    ex: mynakedwife.jpg.scr

    This file will be seen on most computer configurations as mynakedwife.jpg.
    The people may be tempted to look at some guys naked wife. Then the script
    will be executed and install it's payload onto your computer!

    I will take Norton Script Blocking, any day of the week over say EZTrust
    Antivirus, which has no such function!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > What happens when someone clicks on an e-mail attachment such as this
    > example?
    >
    > ex: mynakedwife.jpg.scr
    >
    > This file will be seen on most computer configurations as
    > mynakedwife.jpg. The people may be tempted to look at some guys naked
    > wife. Then the script will be executed and install it's payload onto
    > your computer!
    >
    > I will take Norton Script Blocking, any day of the week over say
    > EZTrust Antivirus, which has no such function!

    I use AVG which has a similar function, costs half as much and doesn't screw
    with Office. You only have to search the Office groups to learn what a PITA
    it is.

    Thankfully, not for me!

    --

    > Richard Urban wrote:
    > > What happens when someone clicks on an e-mail attachment such as this
    > > example?
    > >
    > > ex: mynakedwife.jpg.scr
    > >
    > > This file will be seen on most computer configurations as
    > > mynakedwife.jpg. The people may be tempted to look at some guys naked
    > > wife. Then the script will be executed and install it's payload onto
    > > your computer!
    > >
    > > I will take Norton Script Blocking, any day of the week over say
    > > EZTrust Antivirus, which has no such function!
    >
    > I use AVG which has a similar function, costs half as much and doesn't
    screw
    > with Office. You only have to search the Office groups to learn what a
    PITA
    > it is.

Messenger Microsoft Error Message Windows XP