Sign in with
Your question

Half Life 2 : Episode 1

Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2006 9:31:53 PM

Man what a disappointment! The stuff that happened after the game was cool except that the game had about 50 minutes of game play! I couldn't believe how short it was. I mean you sell a game for 20 bucks as an expansion pack and tell this whole story but there is nothing. I dunno, I was just disappointed that they made this big deal about the game and it wasn't even remotely close to long. The best part of it was is that they didn't market it as an expansion pack but rather a separate game in itself! I can only speculate if I was the unknowning consumer that went out and bought that game and it would have been short as hell and been like WTF dude! Lame valve!

More about : half life episode

June 5, 2006 2:06:59 AM

You must have been playing on crystal meth. We played for about 3 hours yesterday and didn't reach the end yet. We were taking our time to enjoy the game and absorb the story. Maybe if you took the difficulty bar off Rookie to something harder you might take longer to finish. Every Half-Life game I've owned I played through 2 or more times. It's rare a FPS is worthy of a replay. Don't flame Valve, they did a great job in our opinion.
June 5, 2006 8:26:46 AM

I haven't played the game but it was clearly stated in all media before release that there was only a few hours of gameplay in this episode.

Your complaint is fairly pointless tbh however it is the reason why I'm not getting it just yet. I think I will wait and see if they get released at a later time all as one bundle for a reduced price. I don't like HL2 enough to pay $20 a go for 4ish hours gameplay.
Related resources
June 5, 2006 1:43:14 PM

hahahha, well I didn't recall it being on rookie or being on crystal meth. Guess I didn't go nuts and look all over the place to see how long the game was. I assumed and it was wrong. Sue me
June 6, 2006 9:06:39 AM

In your defence I have seen people saying they have finished the game in circa 4 hours on hard. I would therefore assume there to be less hours involved in easy especially if you are in any way decent at FPS games.
June 6, 2006 1:42:52 PM

wow, someone defending someone on these formuz? I thought everyone was like your avatar? Vicious? Nah, its cool man. I was just bummed because I really like the half life story thus far and I got very tired of oblivion so I was looking for something to keep my interest. I was just pissed when I sat down expecting to play and 20 minutes later I beat it. It prolly was a few hours to beat it but still it seemed way short. Just bummed thats all.
June 6, 2006 4:32:30 PM

You have to admit there's a big difference between 50 minutes and a few hours?
If you figure each Episode 1-3 is 3 hours than you get about 9 hours game play 1 time through. That's about what Half-Life 2 or any popular FPS gets you. I paid $17 including tax for mine. That's 3x17=$51 which is also the normal cost of any new relase for the PC these days. I miss the $39 days but $49 for most games has been a reality for some time now. Sorry to flame you a bit on my earlier post. I just couldn't believe what you said after playing it myslef once for a few hours and than starting again for a few hours with a buddy.
June 7, 2006 9:41:43 AM

Quote:
I think I will wait and see if they get released at a later time all as one bundle for a reduced price. I don't like HL2 enough to pay $20 a go for 4ish hours gameplay.

Same here. I did get SiN:Episode 1 Emergence and I was kind of ticked off at the short time span, and what you get is not all that revolutionary either, so I'll wait for a fair bundle price.
June 7, 2006 7:29:40 PM

Is this thread about Sin or HL2?? They are both Episodes released through steam, but completely different games.

Also, if you're waiting for a bundle version you'll be waiting 'till after Christmas. I'm sure that's fine, but the people who want them now can preorder on steam. I doubt the bundle will be cheaper than $39, but most likely they'll milk it for $49 for awhile.

Like I said, some people won't mind waiting 1-2 years for a cheap price, but I'd rather be playing the NEW games next year on DX10.

Anyways, there's a lot of negativity against these episodes, but in the end it comes down to individual tastes. $17 isn’t a whole lot of cash for the 6-8 hours of action entertainment that I'm getting. What else can you do for $2 an hour in this day and age? Certainly is not the movies, dinner, or drinking beers.
June 7, 2006 9:31:14 PM

Shut up, period. Rated likes HL2. Episode 1 is alright in my book. If you dont have the $20 to play it, you suck. (i post here a lot)
June 8, 2006 6:18:37 AM

Quote:
Shut up, period. Rated likes HL2. Episode 1 is alright in my book. If you dont have the $20 to play it, you suck. (i post here a lot)

Keep it decent. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and to state it here. What other purpose do you think a forum like this serves?
June 8, 2006 6:29:55 AM

Quote:
Is this thread about Sin or HL2?? They are both Episodes released through steam, but completely different games.

If the discussion is about the play time of an episode released game I think it's reasonable to drag SiN into the discussion, as HL2 and SiN are the only episoded releases out at the moment.

Quote:

Also, if you're waiting for a bundle version you'll be waiting 'till after Christmas. I'm sure that's fine, but the people who want them now can preorder on steam. I doubt the bundle will be cheaper than $39, but most likely they'll milk it for $49 for awhile.

Like I said, some people won't mind waiting 1-2 years for a cheap price, but I'd rather be playing the NEW games next year on DX10.

The thing is, and that is personal taste for sure, there is nothing much new about HL2:episode1

Quote:

Anyways, there's a lot of negativity against these episodes, but in the end it comes down to individual tastes. $17 isn’t a whole lot of cash for the 6-8 hours of action entertainment that I'm getting. What else can you do for $2 an hour in this day and age? Certainly is not the movies, dinner, or drinking beers.

6 to 8 hours for $18 + taxes is ok, but I did not get that much out of SiN:Emergence. I enjoy exploring new environments, I'm not the kind of person that likes to replay a level over and over at different skill levels.

I'm a fan of Steam and how it delivers software. It just looks like the episode releasing isn't working for me. I prefer to get a game complete, and there's enough other games out there to fill my time in between the 3 to 5 years it might take a developer to develop the game. The amount of money is not my demotivator with episodic releasing.
June 8, 2006 8:18:36 AM

Quote:

I feel aggrieved I paid money to play the simplistic HL2 so paying $20 to play four more hours is too much in my book specially as I see reports that the first couple of chapters are mostly shyte.

When the episodes are released as a bundle for a reasonable price I'll probably get them then but not before and if they aren't released at a reasonable price I'll skip them and lose no sleep over the matter.
June 8, 2006 11:26:33 PM

I equate HL2 Episode One to a fine belgian chocolate.

For the same price you could get yourself a big box of no-name chocolate, or you can get one, amazing belgian chocoate that'll lead to orgasm.

Episode One is short. I finished it in 4 hours. Then I played it again with "commentary mode", which by the way I highly recommend. So 8 hours for twenty bucks.

The graphics are simply stunning. The HDR lighting is the best you will have seen so far. Light reflections and sunlight are sweet. The gameplay as well I thought was very well done. The AI is just getting better and better.

Would I buy a $20 4hour game everyday? Nope. But it is nice once and a while to treat yourself to something special. And make no mistake, Episode one is an amazing game. Great job Valve.
June 9, 2006 4:33:54 AM

I got the game yesterday and it's pretty good so far. I'm about nearly half-way done I think. :D 
June 9, 2006 5:08:46 AM

I just finished it yesterday. I'm going to run through it again with the commentary.

I also played Sin. I havn't finished it and I bought it a week before HL2.
Sin is not even close to a great game like HL2 Episodes 1. I doubt I'll buy another Sin episode and gladly only paid $20 instead of $49.99 (although a free demo might have been nicer).

HL2 has me excited for the next Episode 2!
June 9, 2006 9:34:06 AM

Quote:
The graphics are simply stunning. The HDR lighting is the best you will have seen so far. Light reflections and sunlight are sweet.

It looks nice, but I'm getting ticked off more and more about how ValvE decided to handle shadowing from multiple light sources in HL2 (as in, it does not do that: it only takes one predetermined fictual source to generate a single shadow). It is completely rediculous and it ruins the other great effects that the engine sports. It's not even a Source limitation as far as I know, it's just a performance optimisation that Valve employs in HL2.

I would gladly trade in HDR for proper shadow handling (although I love the HDR effect itself).
June 9, 2006 10:16:11 AM

Well I just beat the game today and to be honest, I think it was a bit over-hyped. I played it for about 7 hours (and yes, I enjoyed every aspect of it, rather than just mow down everything in site) on hard and it was pretty decent. I don't know how some people that I've spoken to or read on other forums can possibly say that it's better than HL2--it's not. HL2 was mind-blowing and revolutionary; ofcourse they have to use the same engines so, naturally, episode 1 could not transcend HL2. But after beating the game, I was a bit disappointed with the ending (though I am sure it will be much better in episode 3). In terms of game-play, it's totally worth the price (~20 bucks) but unless you are a genuine HL2 fan, you will not enjoy this game all that much.
June 10, 2006 7:42:16 PM

I just finished it last night and I'm very happy with it. The game is very good just like the prequel. I would play it again and it is worth every dollar on the price. :D 
June 12, 2006 11:30:57 AM

Quote:
they be fixing the lighting in future engine updates from what i have heard. i think it would then be applied to all games.

As I said previously: it is not an engine problem. I have played Vampires: Bloodlines - The Masquerade, which also uses the Source engine, and it got the shadowing right as far as I can remember.

Meaning: it will not be applied to all games using Source automatically.
June 16, 2006 1:03:56 PM

This is directed at nobody.

I think it is a neat idea that valve has if all the episodes last at least 4 hours each, so it would be like getting a new game, just over time. Like already stated 3 episodes @ $17.99 or $19.99 = $53.97 or $59.97 for 12 hours of gameplay. Of course that is if each one lasts 4 hours or so.
June 19, 2006 3:05:34 PM

There is no point in what you are doing, just like playing a game in a hurry like its the end of the world. Seems to me that you give no credit on the crew who worked hard to creat HL2. You just arent a gamer.
:twisted:
June 23, 2006 2:40:49 AM

I played hl2: episode one last week and it took me approx 4-5 hours on hard mode. The game is great, almost as good as hl2 just shorter.
alot of people will play it two or three times, once easy, once hard, once with cheats ect.
so for 20 bucks it isn't bad value for all the cheap skates out there.
BTW when is episode 2 gonna be released.
June 23, 2006 11:40:21 AM

I got my copy yesterday, and what a fun game. It took 3 1/2 hours on normal for me to beat. You hit it on the nail with me, I like to play all the difficulties, and go around with cheating AFTER I beat the game. I think that it was worth $20.
June 25, 2006 2:28:21 PM

There have been some rumors flying around that Half Life 2: Episode 2 would be delayed until Spring 2007, most notably in PC Gamer magazine. Valve's Doug Lombardi has confirmed that this is in fact not true, and that Episode 2 is still slated for release during the Holiday season late this year.

On the topic of Episode 2, note also that an Episode 2 Beta Invitation is doing the rounds via email. Do not click on or reply to this email as it is a fake; Valve are not sending out invitations to beta test Episode 2 in this way.

I havent played HL2E1 yet, but I enjoyed HL2. Actually I played It back to back ,I still throw in about 2 or 3 hours a week even now.

I hope the other episodes are longer.
If you guys missed it, there was a great preview on the PCGamer magazine, talks about new baddies & story, but I didnt read it all, didnt wanna spoil the fun. :D 
June 25, 2006 5:58:34 PM

I think that episodic gaming will take us all a little bit of getting used to – personally I liked Episode 1, but like many I was jolted when it was over so quickly. On the other hand I'm looking forward to getting the next episode fairly shortly, rather than having to wait another 5 years for Half-Life 3.

I think we'll get used to shorter games as we go forward. As to the argument of how long it takes you to complete the game, that depends on your own skill level. It also depends on how you play it – you can skip right past quite a bit of a game if you so desire.

One thing that does extend the play time is the commentaries – with episodic content I think they're easier to do, and it is worthwhile listening to it. I think the devs could experiment more with what they do with it, as well, as they were rather technical about it all and didn't have much fun. But I think that the commentary gives you more bang for your buck.
June 25, 2006 7:39:06 PM

...*enters, bodily fluids dripping everywhere*...
June 28, 2006 6:20:10 AM

Wrong forum section, pal. Get back into the basement, you're scaring the kids :lol: 
!