Should I buy the physics card or a sound card?

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I am thinking of getting a new desktop for gaming. Should I get a physic card or a sound card?

Thanks for all advice in advance.

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thank you for the reply. Since my company is going to buy the PC for me, I am thinking of getting something built from Voodoo.

Currently I am thinking of an air cooled system with FX 62, dual 7900GTX, 2 Gigs ram, 150 X2 WD raptor. DVD dual layer DVD.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
How exactly are you justifying a gaming machine to your company? Unless you're in the business of games I don't see how any IT person would let you get away with that spec.

Furthermore why are you limited to a phys card or sound card on a high end system like that? It's hardly a budget constraint if your company is fotting the bill and surely the mobo has enough pci slots spare?

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
The company doesnt care unless I make it an issue since I am the head of the division. And the IRS in the country where I live doesn't really understand computers too well to make it an issue. Which is the reason to why Voodoo seems like a choice since they ship anywhere in the world.

Anyway as to the question of the motherboard, I too was under the impression that the ASUS motherboard could actually fit the sound card and the physisc card but apparently it does not since not with dual graphics card. The configuration section of their site won't allow me to do this either. Any thoughts on this?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The problem is that the 7900GTX's take up the pci slots underneath them for the massive cooler. Unless you can find either the sound card or the pyshix card as a pci-e x1 card you can only add one pci expansion card.

I would go for the sound card as it will improve your sound over the onboard sound a lot more than you'll notice any graphics change by adding a physix card (it will actually reduce performance in terms of fps due to the larger number of objects to render due to the physix card).

UROBOROS

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thank you very much for the reply. I knew the 7900 were large but didnt think they would take up that much space.

As for the physix card, I think I am getting the picture. It seems way too early to even bother to get it. I mean if people are experiencing a slow down in FPS rate, I am starting to wonder what is the point...... And if that's the case, I guess the sound card is a better choice since I'll see the quality difference every time I boot something up.

Anyway thank you once again. Much appreciated.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have a 7900 GTX and BFG physics card. I run my games at 1600x1200 with V-sync enabled and get steady FPS over 30. So, with 2 7900 GTX you'll be just fine.
I would go with the 2 7900GTX and Physics card if your company is footing the bill. Down the road you'll appreciate it when games like Unreal tournament 07 come out. Look at it this way if Physx doesn't pan out your company footed the bill anyway. Also, most high-end Mainboards support 7.1 sound like my DFI Dr. expert. Which I'm assuming any quad mainboard is going to support.
I'm not saying Audigy 2 and X-Fi are not awesome. I actually have X-Fi platinum in my my media PC, but for gaming all I have needed is good ol' onboard 5.1 or 7.1.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Definitely buy a sound card cuz you can use it other than just games, you know. I have the X-Fi Extreme Music and by far it's the best card I have ever owned. This card has tons of features in it. It produces high quality sound during music, movies and gaming, so you know it is a good investment as well. :wink:

The physics card on the other is good but not right now, for it just gonna slow down your system due to that it's adding more objects and effects for the cpu and graphics card to work on and it's using a slow PCI bus. Besides the games that supports this physics card is very dissappointing (Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter) and performs so bad as many have tested it and having 15-20 fps using the physics card. So that said the physics card is not a good idea right now.

I highly recommend the X-Fi Extreme Music for you. You won't be dissappointed with it.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Music Sound Card:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14066

Review:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/265/

Price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Sound card! I picked up an Audigy 2 a year or so ago and it makes a huge difference. Also, it helps with game framerates, where a physics card won't.
Really though, even mp3s sound a ton better through the audigy.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
You might just try and look at some other vendors. Some are offering the new Nvidia 7950 graphics set-up. Here's Tom's Review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/

With these cards you won't eat up all your PCI slots and can get a X-fi and a Physx card on your employers dime. If you look at the reviews these 7950's are fast. Here's a link depending on where you are located. Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_buyprebuilt.html