Monday Morning Rundown: Ten Reasons Why You Don't Need a PlayStation 3

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Sony's Phil Harrison says the PlayStation 3 is more than just a gaming console. It's a computer, he says, and as a result, "we do not need the PC." Come again? This statement may have shocked a few gamers. Granted, he issued the comment to a German newspaper, so perhaps something was lost in translation. But just in case it wasn't, here are ten reasons why you don't need a PS3.

chrome

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I think your statement "I would be excited to see Sony completely ditch Windows - which I despise in all its forms - and go with Linux or some other OS." falls under the same category as the "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."... the latter is more polite.

You see, when someone does not like an app I would still consider him to be a normal person. Despising an app is abnormal behavior in my book.

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Keep in mind who's saying what. On the one hand we have a TG author posting his opinions, and on the other hand we've got Sony representatives giving polished and professional perspectives and marketing which needs to politely inspire confidence in potential customers and stock holders. It's not surprising that the Sony statement is more polite; point is they're making bold claims versus somebody saying he hates Windows.

And I can also see why a person would despise something. It's normal to dislike things that make life more difficult for you, such as an operating system that goofs up or frustrates you. Hate and despise, for me at least, occur when that thing is popular or widely used because it hints at the developers not putting enough care into the design when they've had plenty of time and money to do so.

yamnobody

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I wanna see them make the Ps3 a better choice for gamers than a PC. So whre is the Office-killer they need in order to make us ditch MS?.... You went linux you say, good then we have a start. How about coding, doesn't this thing have like 9 cores? Sony you forgot one thing, and it is the MS strategy, they went with an open platform, not a-la Apple, where evryone can make a PC and install the most popular stuff, so in the end the customer sees it like cheaper. With $100 laptops arround the corner, one must question oneself: do I really need this blue-ray player that can do all this things or should I buy a 360, where I can play all types of enternaning stuff, and a $100 laptop where I can do the rest of my student chores? But wait, does the PS3 come with a keyboard and a mouse, if no then that alone would justify the $100 laptop. Will gamers still buy it? You bet they will, just because of MGS4. At this rate we will see the downfall of Sony and the rise to power of Nintendo once more.

PS. I dislike MS but it is a thing that these days we can't live without.

PPS. I go to sleep now.

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Reason #2, the 50 hours a week on World of Warcraft, and Reason #1 "You're a PC gamer and dont give a damn about consoles"...together these two reasons sum it up for me.

I just got my Dreadsteed last night, and boy is it fast!!

austan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I was hoping to read an article with a little more substance.
but 8 of the 10 reasons can also be said about the XBOX360 which leaves only 2 valid ones:
6) Sony online services untested
5) PS3 price too high

counter arugument:
6) something is better than nothing, especially since its "free"
5) when you start adding up the add-ons and games for a XBOX360, you are in the $600-$1300 range, so not much difference than spending $800-$1500 for PS3.

devilhunterx

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
A reply:

10. Gow was an average game with an average character. it just took everything from Pop and added some tits and blood.

9. GTA is only good for the first 30 minutes. then you start noticing all the things wrong with the game. Mainly the gameplay.

8. Sounds like a M$ fanboy.

7. Let me understand it right. M$ made a motion sensing controller 6 years ago. ANd Nintendo made one right now. And Sony is following the latest trend in technology. How come only Sony is being lynched about it and not Nintendo as well? Btw, about that M$ thing, there was only 1 game which had that option. No wonder it was a failure dumbass, you need games to support the damn thing. Btw, M$ has copied everything from consoles to OS.

6. Sony online option is looking for fun then xbox. Since only MMO can play online for free (paying money only to the company). For halo freaks, you got to pay to play online. Sony claims that MP will be free.

5. Wait for a few months. Christmas is around the corner, prices will fall. Its called common sense. Use it

4. Same can be said for the x360? dont see him crying over that? and games released both on the current gen and x360, were found out that the x360 version sucked. look at gamespot if you dont believe me.

3. um only an idiot dont know what a blu-ray nowdays. and he passed in flying colours

2. WoW - over hyped piece of mouse clicking junk of a game. Argh! MMORPG sucks. Maybe Huxley would change my opinion about Online MMO

1. wow thats a paradox! pc and gamer. how the hell does those 2 words go together?

The only good thing on the x360 right now is DoA4 and RRxx. And they win points for all those panties sneak shots :p

A reply:

Let me understand it right. M$ made a motion sensing controller 6 years ago. ANd Nintendo made one right now. And Sony is following the latest trend in technology. How come only Sony is being lynched about it and not Nintendo as well?

Sony is getting Heat for it because of timing. and it from one point of view it looks like sony changed its controller at the last minite from the boomerang like controller becuse it seems nintendo's new controller.

austan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Any time a product is released the manafactures have to come up with a compaign or a slogan for it. So what if its bold and arogant? Do you really need/want to buy an iPod every year? Where's the PC in every house hold? No more taxes?

Still there's no excuse for an this article... This belongs in a BLOG or FORUM, not in the headlines for a highly respected review website. What happened to non-bias reporting? If THG continues to release articles like this, I'm gonna have to take everything posted with a grain of salt...

NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
True, Tom's hardware has been getting off their tracks for awhile now. But i have to ask, wasn't cell technology made specifically for gaming and not PC processing? and if the PS3 was to be considered a computer will MS or any other OS be willing to redesign so that it may use cell technology?

I have to say that the news and tech hype are somewhat dwindling too, remember when we were all trying to break the 1ghz barrier? fun stuff back then....

aonhagen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
This is the most lame article ever . I really feel bad for you.

10.- You dont buy new hardware to play old software in it as the main reason to buy new hardware.

9.- GTA is not everything. How about MGS, GT, FF, DMC, GoW, Tekken i guess they dont count them just because you say so.
And the games that i could be interested that are on the 360 come to the PC, so...

8.- That one is ok

7.-I really dont care about the controller as long i have fun with the game

6.-Well at least they are working on that. It would be much worse if sony havent planed anything at all

5.-For $600 you are getting blue ray and a very powerful console. A video card can cost as much as that. If you want all the add ons on the 360 to match or at least try to match the PS3 you will spend more money than $600

4.-Because new games will be coming to the PS3?
Use common sense for gods sake

3.-<B>YOU</B> are the one that dont know, claim that your readers dont know what the blu-ray do, is out of place. Even more when your article is in THG.
And i already own a HDTV so ya...

2. I dont hate linux, and please just look at the psp's homebrew and come back later.

1.- Im a GAMER. Not just a pc gamer or console gamer. Simply a GAMER

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
FYI, Austan, this is an opinion column that appears weekly on the site. You'll find other op/ed columns in the "Blowhards" section, because that's were opinions go. Obviously, it's not meant to be a news article.

But getting to your first point, you'd don't think Sony sugesting the PS3 will replace the PC is a bit, um, over the top? I think that's a heck of a lot more than just bold or arrogant marketing talk.

mleejr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I thought about getting an xbox 360 when they came out. I even had a pre-order. I canceled it due to price and decided to wait until the ps3 came out. After watching E3 and trying Project Gotham Racing 3 at best buy, I just bought a XBox 360 bundle at Costco with PGR3. The graphics on the PS3 at E3 didnt really look that much better, if at all, than the xbox and it's out now. 99% of the games will be cross platform and between MGS4 and Halo3, I choose Halo 3 (and gears of war). If its all basically the same, then I can have my next gen now (and for 100-200$ cheaper). A surprise to me was the Wii (dumb ass name, bring back revolution). I will try it in the store (like Best Buy) and if it lives up to the hype, which Nintendo rarely over promises, then I will probably have a Wii too. Nintendo is just fun.

I am no fanboy. I currently have a game boy advance, 2 PSPs, a PS2, a PS1 (sold), a gamecube, a N64 (sold), and an xbox. I would like to consider myself objective.

Just thought Microsoft would like to know that I bought their console because PS3 does not appear much better and the xbox 360 is out now.

BTW, did anyone see the PLAYABLE gears of war? OMFG! It looked as good as the killzone TRAILER.

Halo 3 looked good but, just like the Killzone trailer, I want in game footage.

My 5 c.
Mike

Reasons your post doesn't apply to me:

10. The system is backwards compatable, so you can play all the new PS2 games as well as the new PS3 games and my PS2 is not currently functional (my fault {don't ask}).

9. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13 look pretty f**king cool. Most other games will be made for both systems.

8. I had 2 XBox 360's on release day I could have kept one but I sold them both on eBay, so no I DON'T HAVE A 360. And currently there is no exclusive game that makes me want to buy one. (Halo 3 might be a winner)

7. "If you want a motion sensor controller, you'll want to get a Nintendo Wii." I plan on getting a Wii, and a PS3. If you read more articles you would know they wanted to use motion sensing on the PSP, but the technology was not quite ready (for mass production) during the time of development.

6. "The Sony Network Platform is vapor, while Xbox Live is real." THIS I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH, but if it comes to light the $0.00 price will be nice. I've never liked the idea of games that you must continue to pay in order to play just so developers can line there pockets (eg. WOW makes blizzard millions each month)

5. "PS3 is too expensive." yeah, but so is gas, and monthly bills and every other product or service in this whole country. Every corporation is being riddled with greed because the upper class just can't get rich enough (if you ask them). But lets look at this in a different light and get a better understanding why Bill Gates is the Richest man in the world. It's all about corporate stratagies so pay attention:

Xbox 360 - $499 includes 20 GB drive
WiFi is an extra $99.99
HDDVD Player - (unkowen current estimates are at $250)
Xbox Live Gold - $49.99 X 5years = $250 (Rounded)(5 years is the average system life)
Total - $1000 (Rounded)
Microsoft will get a certain amount for every game sold. HDDVD is by Toshiba.

PS3 - $599 includes 60 GB drive
WiFi included
BluRay included
Sony Network - FREE! (although I find that hard to believe it's completely free)
Total - $600 (Rounded)
Sony will get a certain amount for every game AND every BluRay movie sold.

I hope this helps put things in perspective for you.

4. "...so why rush out to buy $60 next-generation games that you'll finish in a week?" Good point... why buy when there is gamefly or hollywood video or blockbuster? I only buy the best "million sellers" that drop to 20 dolla' other than that games generaly are not worth it.

3. "...you don't have enough money leftover from your gaming purchases to buy that HD television." BluRay will bring REAL HD to your living room. I already have an HD Projector $850 dolla on eBay, BTW the projection is over 200" @ 1280 X 720

2. "You hate Linux almost as much as Windows, and you don't have the time to create your own playable content for PS3, because you're logging 50-plus hours a week on World of WarCraft between efforts to score a date with that hot T.G.I.Friday's waitress whom you think is flirting with you."
First I've never used Linux (dispite being a technician for 7 years) but I've been told it's better than windows when it comes to maintaining your PC and having full controll of everything. Secondly, I wouldn't create playable content even if I had the time. I do play some WOW but I am reluctant to get into it as I don't want it to consume my life like some "OTHER" people. I don't waist my time persuing women. I just get some when they cross my path. (I just got some last week while I was at a wedding.) Aside from that if you have ever been in a real relationship you know that some women can be a PIA! So generally I like to f*ck um' and leave um'.

1. "You're a PC gamer and couldn't give a damn about console gaming."
Obviously you have a 360 so I'm gonna say you DO give a damn about console gaming....
For me it's just not true, I'm a hardcore gamer and computer technician.

Bottom line: Your article should be renamed "10 reasons why I don't want to buy a PS3." Subtitle: "a personal justification cause I already waisted my money on a 360"

austan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
RobWright: On the main Tomshardware site, your article is listed under "TOP STORIES". But never mind, you know more about the THG site than I do...

No, I don't think marketing is "over the top". Is BMW the ultimate driving machine? Is Wheaties the Breakfast of Champions?

Let's pick apart your article or what ever you want to call it...
"developers like the PS2 platform and want to continue churning out quality titles for it"
Where's your data that verifies this? If its true then why would developers want to continue to support a product that will be soon disconinuted?

#8: hmm. So you are saying that what ever product comes out first is enough reason to not buy the second product??? Didn't betamax come out before VHS? Guess we should have all abdonded VHS becase betamax was first...

There's holes everywhere in what you wrote... Good thing you're the "editor"... What were you thinking?!?!?!

hiddendog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
I have to declare that I not the PS fans, I just a gamer. So from my point of view, you are giving the most worst reason for why don't need PS3. Is really waiting my time to read your stupid comment.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Let's pick apart your article or what ever you want to call it...
Quote:
"developers like the PS2 platform and want to continue churning out quality titles for it"

Where's your data that verifies this? If its true then why would developers want to continue to support a product that will be soon disconinuted?

Austan, who told you PS2 is going to be discontinued? Microsoft? According to Gamespress.com, there are currently more than 100 games that will be released between today and the end of 2006 for the PS2 platform. Between today and end of 2007 (not 2006 -- 2007), there are 26 PS3 titles scheduled for release. So I'd say there are plenty of developers still making games for PS2. Plus Sony has repeatedly pledged that it will continue to support the platform even after PS3's release.

#8: hmm. So you are saying that what ever product comes out first is enough reason to not buy the second product??? Didn't betamax come out before VHS? Guess we should have all abdonded VHS becase betamax was first...

No, I didn't say every product release first automatically wins. But there's an old expression called "first mover advantage." And yes, Betamax lost. But PS2 was released ahead of the first Xbox, and we all know how that turned out.

aonhagen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
RobWright said:
But PS2 was released ahead of the first Xbox, and we all know how that turned out.

The PS2 was predestined to win that fight, no matter what.

Why?

HUGE hype.

And remember that the xbox is not that successful in Europe.

And in Japan... well you know the story

dinther

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Sony's statement makes perfect sense when you are sick of regular OS updates, ad-ware, spy ware and virusus. No normal non IT person can use windows and a word processor for more than a year before their system is bogged down with crap.

The new generation of consoles (All three of them) are capable to drive displays of sufficient resolution to do things other than gaming.

Just imagine what you could do with that graphics power, and a standardised network (XBox live or whatever). I have though for years that they (Console makers) should launch a new user friendly office application for consoles. Pop in the CD/DVD/BLURay whatever disk and work on your documents, browse the net what-ever. On-line storage of your documents of course. As much as I dislike Sony (DRM crap), Sony is right. Most people don't need a PC as we know them today.

huggy_bear

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
8O what the hell are you all talking about?? Your actually supporting Ps3 and that bald moron that thinks he is smart? ITS A CONSOLE! let me say it again! ITS...A....CONSOLE!!! PC has already gone through this phase. Why are we going back to the past? Do any of you actually think Ps3 can really match itself upto the PC? Think for a second! ok how you gonna browse the web with a controller? then you all say "uhhh...what about the keyboard and mouse ports?"...WHAT? what the hell are you posting these replies with then? can you play YOUR music while you play a game on a console? can you do 3d applications on a console?

I tell this too all who like Sony's stupid comment (and yes i do mean SONY!!)...if you feel that a PC wont be needed soon or in the future and yet we will want to use a ps3 instead then i tell you right now sell your PC's and use the ps3...no? hmmm...i wondar why is that?

Most of you are like $600 is not bad...? I live in Australia! thats almost 1000$ I can upgrade my computer with that. HDTV?? the newest graphics cards support HD, so then you buy a LCD monitor....and there you go your HDTV.

Ps3 powerful? who the hell said it was powerful? yes a $600 console is more powerful than the most powerful high end PC...yes. yes cheaper is better.

PC gamers are true gamers. I have played alot of PS2 games and they dont really make me go "oooo let me get a ps3 because the graphics look better than ps2 and sony thinks we are all stupid...yes remember that? phil harrison called you all stupid" I dont know about you guys but when someone, anyone calls me stupid I dont go "lets be friends :)".

If any of you didnt realize but PC has the best line up of games out of the 3 consoles. PC games are quality...console games are about quantity which really doesnt suffice. If you dont believe me look up all the PC games at e3 for 2006 and 2007 and the number of ambitious titles for the PC compared to the consoles.

oh and btw you cant upgrade/fix a console...so when its broken you cant open it up and "replace" that broken part, if you find what is broken in the first place. So good luck to those who buy a ps3 but it ends up overheating and dying...

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I dunno, the PS3 sound promising with future technology in hand, but then again, why consoles when you can have a mighty PC??
the console's are just waste of money. Me personally would perfer power over money, even if a pc costed 4x the amount of a PS3, I'm sure everyone in this forum would agree to have a PC, rather than any stupid console.
But thats just mie opinoin :twisted: