Networking

I have two computers networked with XP Pro. When I view the properties of
the C drives on both machines to set sharing the properties list is
different one is much simpler than the other. Computer A can see and share
Computer B but not vice versa it shows an error stating you do not have
permission to access Computer B. As I said the properties pages on each
computer are different and I don't understand.
Thank you in advance.
Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about networking

    > "Mike Cramsey" <mcrams@adams.net.INVALID>
    > wrote in message news:ed56B%23rKEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I have two computers networked with XP Pro. When I view the properties of
    > the C drives on both machines to set sharing the properties list is
    > different one is much simpler than the other. Computer A can see and share
    > Computer B but not vice versa it shows an error stating you do not have
    > permission to access Computer B. As I said the properties pages on each
    > computer are different and I don't understand.

    It sounds to me like one computer has Simple File Sharing enabled, and the other has
    it disabled.

    By default Windows XP forces all incoming network connections to the "Guest" level of
    access (ForceGuest) and Simple File Sharing is enabled.

    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB304040 - Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;304040

    For more detailed information about "Configuring Shared Folder Permissions" and
    "Simple Sharing and ForceGuest" see those sections in following Windows XP Resource
    Kit Chapter (access them using the TOC treeview pane):

    Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation | Part II Desktop Management |
    Ch 6 Managing Files and Folders | Sharing Files and Folders
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_flez.asp

    And for more information about how to gain access to a shared folder on a remote
    computer in a Workgroup see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

    KB814004 - How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 7)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;814004

    KB308416 - HOW TO: Create a Shortcut to a Network Location in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;308416

    KB308582 - HOW TO: Connect and Disconnect a Network Drive in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;308582

    Thanks Carrie,
    Nailed it!

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    > > "Mike Cramsey" <mcrams@adams.net.INVALID>
    > > wrote in message news:ed56B%23rKEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > I have two computers networked with XP Pro. When I view the properties
    of
    > > the C drives on both machines to set sharing the properties list is
    > > different one is much simpler than the other. Computer A can see and
    share
    > > Computer B but not vice versa it shows an error stating you do not have
    > > permission to access Computer B. As I said the properties pages on each
    > > computer are different and I don't understand.
    >
    > It sounds to me like one computer has Simple File Sharing enabled, and the
    other has
    > it disabled.
    >
    > By default Windows XP forces all incoming network connections to the
    "Guest" level of
    > access (ForceGuest) and Simple File Sharing is enabled.
    >
    > For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    >
    > KB304040 - Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;304040

    > For more detailed information about "Configuring Shared Folder
    Permissions" and
    > "Simple Sharing and ForceGuest" see those sections in following Windows XP
    Resource
    > Kit Chapter (access them using the TOC treeview pane):
    >
    > Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation | Part II Desktop
    Management |
    > Ch 6 Managing Files and Folders | Sharing Files and Folders

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_flez.asp

    > And for more information about how to gain access to a shared folder on a
    remote
    > computer in a Workgroup see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    articles:

    > KB814004 - How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition
    (PART 7)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;814004

    > KB308416 - HOW TO: Create a Shortcut to a Network Location in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;308416

    > KB308582 - HOW TO: Connect and Disconnect a Network Drive in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;308582

    If your running a firewall such as MS ICF this will cause
    a problem. Also try unchecking the IEEE 802
    authentication under the LAN connection properties.
    Lastly do the user ids that your using have admin
    authority?

    How did XP Pro get loaded onto the systems? Was it
    preloaded or did you load them from an off the shelf
    version?

    Since you did not describe the differences of the
    properties I cannot offer a better solution.

Networking Microsoft Computers Windows XP