We have Windows XP Home Edition. There are four family members that use the computer. Three of the members have limited access, while the other member (me) has administrator access. The problem is, the other day, I went to change my password everything seemed to go fine. However, the computer had been going very slow that day & giving me troubles. I logged out. Later that day I went to log in & enter my password & the computer is stating that it is an invalid password. I only use one of two passwords & I have tried them both along with several other tries. My questions are: 1) Is there anyway to get into my login to change that password? 2) Or, is there anyway to go into one of the other users & change their status to admin? Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sheri

ssaville wrote:
> We have Windows XP Home Edition. There are four family members that
> use the computer. Three of the members have limited access, while
> the other member (me) has administrator access. The problem is, the
> other day, I went to change my password everything seemed to go fine.
> However, the computer had been going very slow that day & giving me
> troubles. I logged out. Later that day I went to log in & enter my
> password & the computer is stating that it is an invalid password. I
> only use one of two passwords & I have tried them both along with
> several other tries. My questions are: 1) Is there anyway to get
> into my login to change that password? 2) Or, is there anyway to go
> into one of the other users & change their status to admin? Any help
> with this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sheri

Was your Windows pre-loaded from factory? or had you done an upgrade?
I am not that conversant with factory/OEM installs. there may well be an "Administrator" user/login on your system.
Given this is Home Edition, you will need to startup in Safe Mode to get to it.

Bootup the pc, and during the powerup / POST routine, tap / keep tapping F8 function key to get to bootup choices, then select Safe Mode.
Once there, you should see the Administrator login/option.

Once in XP, choose Run option from menu, and type
control userpasswords

Then review your accounts.

In Help and Support, look up (using search box) "Create a password reset disk", and "Protecting your passwords".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

I was finally able to get in to the system & correct the error. Your assistance with this matter has been greatly appreciated! Sheri

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:51:03 -0700, "ssaville" <ssaville@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>We have Windows XP Home Edition. There are four family members that use the computer. Three of the members have limited access, while the other member (me) has administrator access. The problem is, the other day, I went to change my password everything seemed to go fine. However, the computer had been going very slow that day & giving me troubles. I logged out. Later that day I went to log in & enter my password & the computer is stating that it is an invalid password. I only use one of two passwords & I have tried them both along with several other tries. My questions are: 1) Is there anyway to get into my login to change that password? 2) Or, is there anyway to go into one of the other users & change their status to admin? Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sheri

REboot in Safe Mode and login with the hidden 'administrator' user and
change passwords via User Accounts.
I suggest you make a Password Reset disk asap as well.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

TRENDING THREADS