Temporary Internet Files

I am confused when I try to view my XP Temporary Internet Files.

I have looked at that folder with 4 different file managers:

"Windows Explorer" shows many files in a single list but does not give a
count. 2 are 0 size.

"A43" shows 1075 objects in a single list. 2 are 0 size.

These 2 seem to give the same result.

My old faithful "PoweDesk", which I have used for at least 15 years, shows
no folders or files.

In previous versions of Windows it showed results like that of Content.IE5
folder of ExplorerXP below.

"ExplorerXP" shows 2 subfolders: Content.IE5 and Content.MSO.

The Content.MSO folder shows no subfolders or files.

The Content.IE5 folder shows 16 subfolders with the weird names I am used to
seeing in previous

versions of windows. These folders contain a total of 1160 files including
42 which are 0 size.

To further confuse me, when I Open IE and go to Tools\Internet
Options\Temporary Internet Files\Settings\view files;

the list of files that opens up has no 0 size files and includes many
cookies.

Why are they here rather than in the Cookie folder?

Any help in clearing up my confusion will be gratefully appreciated,

Lyall Kingman

Lyall Kingman wrote:
> I am confused when I try to view my XP Temporary Internet Files.
>
> I have looked at that folder with 4 different file managers:
>
> "Windows Explorer" shows many files in a single list but does not
> give a count. 2 are 0 size.
>
> "A43" shows 1075 objects in a single list. 2 are 0 size.
>
> These 2 seem to give the same result.
>
> My old faithful "PoweDesk", which I have used for at least 15 years,
> shows no folders or files.
>
> In previous versions of Windows it showed results like that of
> Content.IE5 folder of ExplorerXP below.
>
> "ExplorerXP" shows 2 subfolders: Content.IE5 and Content.MSO.
>
> The Content.MSO folder shows no subfolders or files.
>
> The Content.IE5 folder shows 16 subfolders with the weird names I am
> used to seeing in previous
>
> versions of windows. These folders contain a total of 1160 files
> including 42 which are 0 size.
>
> To further confuse me, when I Open IE and go to Tools\Internet
> Options\Temporary Internet Files\Settings\view files;
>
> the list of files that opens up has no 0 size files and includes many
> cookies.
>
> Why are they here rather than in the Cookie folder?
>
> Any help in clearing up my confusion will be gratefully appreciated,
>
> Lyall Kingman
Hello Lyall,
I think some of it has to do with whether you upgraded from an older Windows to Win XP.
Cookies in XP are now stored for each "user" in distinct folders.
such as C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Cookies

Temporary internet files are at
C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Note: If you have a multi-boot system, then the XP files may be on another logical volume (other than C).

As to the file count in Win Explorer, make sure you have the Status Bar enabled. View from menu, then click on Status bar.

I can't tell why cookies appear in Temp folder, other than to surmise it has to do with coding at each site's server.
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User